Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RockEater Gears for the D18/D20 Transfer Case

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 4:44am
Does the first gear have the sprocket on back for PTO?

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 5:21am
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Does the first gear have the sprocket on back for PTO?

I presume you are talking about the 6 spline transfer case input gear, and yes it has the sprocket teeth.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 5:26am
Yep.
Thanks
Jay

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 5:05pm
I don't see a new sliding gear...
Supposed to re-use the Dana Spicer sliding gear ?

Also I see both a transmission mainshaft gear (output) and the O.D. bowl gear. 
You have to purchase both of those ?
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I think Rick is just hedging his bet just in case his overdrive grenades on the trail. It’s probably something I should consider with my Tera gears and overdrive. Having a recovery option when you are on the trail is good.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I don't see a new sliding gear...
Supposed to re-use the Dana Spicer sliding gear ?

Sliding gear does not come with it.  I don’t think Jack even makes one.  Im using my existing sliding gear.

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

[QUOTE=oldtime]

I think Rick is just hedging his bet just in case his overdrive grenades on the trail. It’s probably something I should consider with my Tera gears and overdrive. Having a recovery option when you are on the trail is good.

That’s exactly right.  Hedging my trail rides😉  Standard set comes with the regular transmission output gear.  Bowl gear is additional cost.  

My Videos
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 9:18pm
O.K. I would have expected a new sliding gear.
I'm pretty cheap, so was thinking I would only buy the bowl gear.
I never had n O.D. failure in 35 years of use.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2018 at 5:46pm
Wow, never thought replacing transfer case gears would be so involved😳
Here’s what Gus looks like right now.  Just waiting on parts...

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2018 at 5:59pm
You are putting the transfer case gears in your engine!!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2018 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

No wonder it seems more complex than you thought!!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

yep!  They didn’t fit at first but I ground off the pointy edges and it all fits inside those four cavities in the bottom side.  Just waiting on a pan gasket 😁. Gus is going to go sloooooow now!

My Videos
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2018 at 6:53pm
I guess I will go with the terra lows. I don’t want to pull my engine!!!
Jay
Craig1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 4:03am
I have a spare "small hole" yet 1-1/4" shaft case from an m38A1. Will the 3.6 gears work in this case, or do you have to have a large hole case?

Also - if the large hole case is required,  is it possible to machine a small hole case into a large hole one?
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 7:16am
For some reason, when I started this journey, I was under the impression that you had to have a large hole case.  I don’t think that is necessary after doing the install.  You may have to grind more in the top of the case than if you used a D20 large hole case, but I don’t know for sure.  The one thing you do have to have is a 1.25” intermediate shaft.  If you have that, then I would give it a try.  At least give Jack O’Brien a call and see what all might be necessary with a small hole case.  If you are going to run stock motor, I don’t think it would really be necessary to do the tapered bearing intermediate shaft.  I really dont’ think its worth the money for these little flatties.  I opted to just go back with the 1.25” shaft (albeit, one of Novak’s hardened USA made shafts).

In hindsight, that’s probably what I should have done, and may do in the future.  Using a large hole case has presented some potential body tub/case interference issues (will confirm this when I put my tub back on the chassis) as the D20 large hole case has a pronounced larger cast in the PTO area of the case.  This larger diameter of the case looks like it may cause contact with the tub.  If so, I will have to lift the body with some thicker rubber body mounts (looks like nearly an inch by just eyeballing it).  I will document this in the future.  Also, the boss for the pivot ball stud (for the clutch lever tube) is protruding significantly more than the original D18 case.  I had to grind 1/2” off to be able to fit the clutch lever/tube on the ball studs.  I’ll also show this in upcoming posts.

My Videos
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 10:47am
Jack assembled my 1953 small hole case, 1-1/8" shaft, into a tapered bearing shaft 4.1:1 case. Apparently the shaft area has to be machined for the roller conversion so it didn't need to be 1-1/4" initially.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 8:07pm
Quote  I have a spare "small hole" yet 1-1/4" shaft case from an m38A1. Will the 3.6 gears work in this case, or do you have to have a large hole case?

Also - if the large hole case is required,  is it possible to machine a small hole case into a large hole one?

Yes any gear sets can be put into a small hole case however larger diameter gears may notably thin the case wall. 
Very large gears will require case welding.
If strength is a concern (big engine extreme low gearing) then know that all big hole cases are of a stronger casting design.
A small hole (3-5/32" index bore) will have to precision bored in order to turn it into a big hole case (4" index bore). 
Zero aftermarket parts

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2018 at 6:16pm
Progress!  Body is back on.  The tub is in contact with the top of the transfer case, so I put a piece of a mud flap between the it and case.  Maybe that will work for a while.  Plan is to drive it Tuesday.

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2018 at 6:22pm
Cool beans. I got mine yesterday and I'll have it in tonight.

Your drive flanges look cool

Have you done anything with the springs yet?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>