Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roll Bar Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roll Bar Project
    Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 1:38am
This is something Ive been wanting to do for awhile. After talking with Jpet last year I decided to go for it. FYI Im not taking credit for this design. Jpet told me about his idea and I "borrowed" his 3D drawing from one of his threads.  

The plan is to build a roll bar that follows a similar shape to the factory 2a bows. I want my canvas top to fit and the bar to not look super obvious. I love the simple old 2a look.... So I wanted to avoid a big full cage. 

This is the Image from Jpets thread. 

Jeff Was kind enough to stop by the other night and let me borrow his bender. It was fun and helpful to chat about roll cages, jeeps, etc.... THANKS Jeff! 

Bender... Since this was used on BAM BAM maybe it will give my jeep some special powers! Smile

Right now Im in the Prep phase. I Have the bender....Material is ordered. Now im working on building a tubing notcher. The harbor frieght one looks like a piece of junk and a good one is out of my price range. So I started building one out of stuff I had laying around.

The angle will be adjustable. Right now its centered only for 1.5" tubing. If I have another project in the future I will have to make adjustments. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 16 Feb. 2019 at 1:48am
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 1:38am
Its been a few days and my material is here. 

I always love my trip to the metal shop.... they have cool stuff laying around. 

I have 56 feet of 1.5" .120 wall DOM tubing. 

I also Got some 1/4" angle for the tub mount and 1/4" plate for the frame tie in points. 

So thats where im at for now... I think imp going to adapt my hole saw arbor directly to the shaft so I will be working on that and starting to bend tube this weekend. I have another video made. I will post it once its on youtube. Updates to come! 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 1:54am
I'm looking forward to this project
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 1:57am
I love seeing the machine work. Great fun.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 2:38am
Seth, the metal magician. 
Next project, a Flux Capacitor out of junk he had just laying around in the shop.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 3:03am
Falcon, it's hard to tell from the CAD illustration whether this roll-cage system will be attached to the jeep's frame rails (for optimum strength) or simply bolted to the body. We've all seen roll cages bolted to the 16-ga. sheet of the jeep's upper wheelhouses where the cage's integrity (and the occupant's safety) depends on the shear strength of whatever fasteners are used--not a good thing in a severe roll-over. At what points does this configuration fasten to the frame?  
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Willys Jeep Junkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Jeep Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 3:12am
Nice work Seth, Looking forward to seeing more progress. Thumbs Up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 12:31pm
Thanks guys, I hope to make progress on this soon. Luzon: yes it will be tied into the frame In 4 places. The pictures above shows the “frame attachment plates”

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 6:27pm
Ready to begin!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 10:27pm
Good work! This is a fun thread!!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 8:36pm
Very nice. I just watched the Eastwood notcher video, but don't want to spend $400. Wish I had your fab skills!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 10:48pm
Thank you Bob! I have learned a lot of what I know from watching you guys on this forum. I totally agree with you on the Eastwood notcher. Looks nice....its just too expensive. No one seems to have a "middle of the road" option. They are either cheap junk or pro quality and very expensive. Eastwood has a $99 notcher but it looks cheap and the reviews say its basically the harbor freight notcher painted blue. 

Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

Very nice. I just watched the Eastwood notcher video, but don't want to spend $400. Wish I had your fab skills!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 5:21am
Well, I finally made some progress....

It was cold in the shop today. My toes were cold and I ran out of time. Hopefully I will get more done tomorrow. There is a learning curve to this....Progress should go faster now. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 20 Feb. 2019 at 5:26am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 11:29pm
Today I got the other bow sorted out.

I'm quickly learning this is not a fun one man job... holding everything straight...working the press, lifting things in and out to test fit....measure, make marks... would all be easier with an extra set of hands... I had to get creative today. 

Now im trying to figure out how I want to mount the bars to the tub. I bough angle iron and plates but the ribs on the tub cause issues.. 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 12:10am
My dad placed good quality 3/4" plywood routed out for the ribs under his roll bar but it was mounted on a full plate that covered the whole top of the Wheel house. I did much the same with mine but used Micrata and then used Micarta to trim around the edges of the 1/4" boiler plate I used for the base.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 12:13am
maybe I will just let it land where it wants and then when I clamp it to the frame tie points it will flatten out.. 
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 1:44am
At some point, you may regret crushing the ribs.  Why not trim the angle to fit? Or add a spacer beneath the angle?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2019 at 3:01am
I would get some sheet HDPE. Should be able to get it in the right thickness won’t hold water easy to mill out to fit. Cant break it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>