Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Exhaust System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Routing Exhaust Pipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mongo Esq. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Routing Exhaust Pipe
    Posted: 23 Oct. 2016 at 11:28pm
I have new exhaust pipes and muffler from Kaiser Willys auto supply.  Nice equipment but I have a PTO drive line that runs forward to the wench.  This drive line goes over the cross member where the pipe should go.  What is the fix?  
Mark in Portland
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2016 at 12:53am
Wench? JK. What winch are we talking about? Koenig used to send an flexable exhaust pipe extender to move the pipe down a few inches for the PTO shaft.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2016 at 2:02am
 Most re-route the exhaust pipe under the crossmember.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2016 at 12:35pm
I cut three slices in the header pipe and moved it over to the left for the PTO shaft and then welded the slices shut.. Then used the muffler and tailpipe in the stock location. I had a exhaust shop re-route the intermediate pipe outside the crossmember to the left side, but above the lower level of the cross member. I've had to go back and work on the transmission, so leaving room to get to things is smart. Oilly 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Mongo Esq. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mongo Esq. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 1:05am
Thank you for the info.  How do I go under?  Where do I look for the flex pipe?
Mark in Portland

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 2:32am
Find a good muffler shop. They should be able to fix it. I stuck that V6 in my MB and took onto the muffler shop and they figured out how to run both pipes to the rear corners despite the deep gas tank under my rear end, er, butt.
My neighbor kid found some flex pipe over at a local farm store to screw up his Blazer exhaust with.
My 3B with the V6 in it has ample room for the PTO shaft.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 25 Oct. 2016 at 2:35am
uncamonkey
Mongo Esq. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mongo Esq. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 6:52am
All good information.  I will follow up on the re-route idea.
Mark in Portland

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 8:22am
All I can say is that finding a good muffler shop is like trying to find a good radiator shop, few and far between anymore. I spent years welding up the exhaust system on my Volvo, I got very good at welding very thin parts. A thousand dollars later and it leaks again on the Volvo after everything was replaced. I suppose that is why the lifetime warranty costs so much as it does?
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply