Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

S/N 10371 Barn find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S/N 10371 Barn find
    Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 12:40pm

My first post here so first off, thanks to all that contribute to this site, the knowledge I’ve gained here has been invaluable!

I was tipped off by a friend to an old barn falling down that was being emptied out to be leveled and that there was an old Jeep in the back. Owner claims it was the first CJ ever sold in the Boston area.

Turns out, the CJ2A was purchased to move snow so the owner had this massive loader attachment built for it, probably doubling the weight of the vehicle. It looks like it came from Monster Garage!

It was used for years but apparently had some mechanical problems and was left in the back corner of this barn and hasn’t moved since 1958!

When I went to pick it up, I had to pull it by the loader frame as the two drivers side wheels had fallen through the wooden barn floor and it took a lot of prying with 2x6’s to get the axles up high enough to get some plywood underneath the wheels.

Everyone thinks I’m crazy for doing this and with all the other car projects I have, they’re probably right. The alternative was to leave it and let them dig it out after they collapsed the barn. I’d be kicking myself if I let that happen.

I’m going to spend some time taking off the loader attachment, the homemade plywood top, and cleaning her up for a goods assessment but overall, she’s pretty worthy and I’m hoping the originality and early S/N will add to the value.

Can someone tell me how to attach pics?

Edited by connoman59 - 23 Oct. 2006 at 1:11pm
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 1:15pm
Wow lucky you, something everyone dreams about. somebody will help with the pics. Good luck!
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 3:10pm
DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadI'm not envious - really I'm notDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

Looking forward to the piccies - well done!
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
ricksslatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 6:42pm
Can't wait to see picts.....Thumbs%20Up
Rick
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 7:55pm
We (Cat) can help with the pics, In the meantime E-mail them to me. garyarf@charter.net
I can't wait to see your find!! Take LOTS of pics as you can't tell what you have untill the rest of the world can see it. There is alot of guys here that can help in the assessment. I'll post the pics, sounds like great fun for me! Big%20smile
Gary
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

connoman59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 8:58pm
Gary, I just sent 4 pics to you that I took in the barn when I first saw the beast.
I havent checked all the frame and body numbers yet but I will this week. I'm a bit beat after the two days it took to get her out of the barn and home.
The best part about the loader attachment is that the hydraulic pump looks like it leaked pretty badly and everything is coated in oil which stopped rust.
The windshield frame has surface rust and the hood and cowl are rusted on top from piles of rotting wood pulp from the disintegrating ceiling above. The tub and frame are pretty good, no rot through anywhere that I can see and the tub looks like the left rear corner is the only body damage, probably from backing into something.

45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 9:50pm
connoman59,
Here are your pics. WOW,WOW,WOW

We need more pics!!! this is an awesome find. Don't take anything apart untill you document it all.  Repeat don't start throwing wrenches at it untill you have assessed this find.

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 9:57pm
One more thing, Notice the knob on the column shift. It is Ivory just like noted in Fred Coldwell's book "Preproduction Civilian Jeeps. Way too much fun. Like I said earlier a hundred pics of this before you do what you think it needs.
Gary 

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 10:00pm
I'm not worthy, i'm not worthy!!!!  so much for the addage "if it is too good to be true, it might just be"

nice find!!!!!!
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 11:33pm
Looks like a T-84 transmission was used as a gearbox to drive the Hyd. pump off the engine crank.    Cooolll!!!!!

Gotta be some more goodies on this babe!
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2006 at 11:47pm

Tank and headlight rings are body color, is that the crossover muffler? Original marker lights, original w/s tiedown stap, solid rims. column shift, old style w/s arms, dash tags. Good lord! What else is going to be there. Great find Motorhead and I will second and third Gary's advice Get more pics and take it slow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2006 at 12:09am
Not to worry, I plan to be careful and bag and tag every part, even what most would throw away.
I'll rattle off a bunch of pics but I'll be taking the loader attachment off soon.
I want to get all the extra steel framework off and take it down to the local spray wash and clean the bottom. There's gotta be a hundred ponds of oily grime caked on the bottom.
The back of the tub is full of sandbags and cement that was used for ballast for the loader. I imagine the springs have been punished pretty badly.
There is also the remnants of a broken axle in the back and another gearbox of sorts, possibly something PTO related???
Gotta empty it out and assess everything.
I'll see about setting up a pic link so I can post everything more conveniently.
Thanks to all for the info!
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2006 at 7:14pm
Truly amazing!  This has restored my faith.  But I just can't believe what they did to this poor little jeep, it makes me want to cry. Cry

You have released it from a history of slave labor and decades of solitary confinement.  Well done.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2006 at 7:54pm
Awesome find!

All she needs is someone to love her...Are you planning to keep it?
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2006 at 10:13am
 where in Massachusetts are you located? I'm in Haverhill. Like to take a look if I could...
1946 CJ2A veh id#70146
http://nelsonthejeep.myphotoalbum.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2006 at 11:59am
Updates:
Did some cleaning last night and found dozens of old tools, pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc...
Also - 6 tire chains, a vacuum driven winshield wiper motor that apparently had been mouinted at some time, 2 jacks, and a pair of vintage directional signal lights from something??
2 removeable plates were taken off the floor, one above the trans and a round one below the clutch & brake pedals. I found those too, along with a gasket for the one above the trans. I havent seen the screws that held them in place though. I plan to shop-vac out all the sand and screen it for small fasteners and parts.
Sadly, the floor has been hacked a bit where the gas pedal is, I'm not sure why but it looks easily repairable. Looks like someone went at it with tin snips!
I'll make more pics and information available soon, I want to get all the Title and paperwork done first.
At this time I plan to keep it but I have too many projects as it is.
Once the paperwork is all in place and she's cleaned up a bit, I need to get her appraised. I imagine it may be tough to get an accurate number on the value.

Edited by connoman59 - 25 Oct. 2006 at 1:27pm
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2006 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Nelson Nelson wrote:

where in Massachusetts are you located? I'm in Haverhill. Like to take a look if I could...
I'll PM you sometime and have you come by and take a look.
She's kind of shy and she needs a bath before she can have any visitors......HAHA! LOL
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2006 at 12:29pm
YEH, PM ME SOMETIME...if your not too far away i'd gladly volunteer my services and give you a hand and some background info on your find.

Have you found the veh. i.d.# yet? I expect it to be low.
 Can you read any mileage on the odometer? Dragging that midieval contraption around i'd expect that to be low also.

Man, putting that monster on a jeep, what a waste. He should of bought a tractor instead. But that giant anchor is the reason that lil buggy is still with us and not in Jeep heaven...
1946 CJ2A veh id#70146
http://nelsonthejeep.myphotoalbum.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>