Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

S/N 10371 Barn find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2006 at 8:05pm
Nelson,
You hit the nail on the head. That contraption did save this Jeep. and the barn held it back just for this find.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Alex D. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2006 at 11:31pm
It is truly amazing, the kind of abominations that have been found on the poor little willys. A testament to there versatility.
Personally, I think that contraption should be left on there.
The loader belongs in the country engineering hall of fame.
Where safety aint all what it's cracked up to be.
connoman59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2006 at 1:52pm
I cleaned out hundreds of lbs of sand, stones, and cement chunks.
I found a missing Thumbscrew that held the windshield at it's pivot point as well as a missing strut bar for the right side windshield support.
The storage compartment beneath the passenger seat area is full of greasy tools and fasteners (and an old cast toy race car).
Loader attachment comes off tomorrow and then I can get her up on the lift to take some bottomside pics and get the body numbers off the toe panel. Currently, they're obstructed by the loader frame.
I plan to remove the frame without destroying it in case someone has an interest in the thing, or some part of it. I already have a co-worker asking about the bucket and lift cylinders.
I cant see leaving it on because it's unsightly and with the ballast, probably doubles the weight of the vehicle. I bet it handled like a drunk on roller skates!
As far as numbers go, the S/N on the inside dash plate matches the plates on the passenger side engine compartment, of which there are 2.
The number on the tailgate however is different. I didnt take a pic of that yet but I believe it was either 409 or 406, I should be able to verify all the numbers this weekend.
I looked for the engine S/N but was unsure of where to find it. It's described as being on an "oval pad behind the oil filter" according to one of the linked pages here. Can anyone elaborate on exactly where this pad is? Any further description would be appreciated.
More to come!
        - Matt
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2006 at 2:54pm
What LUCK!! That plow is unimaginable.
Thanks, Scott
67 GTX
Kubota RTV 900
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2006 at 6:35pm
Ok I can admit it, I'm jealous LOL. You shouldn't have posted it though, now Doug will be heading to Mass. Good find, sure glad you got it before they dropped the barn on it. Makes me wanta go and check out a bunch of old barns around here. Clap
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2006 at 10:51pm

I've been busy but I took a bunch of pics and thought I'd put them out there for people to check out.

She looks so much better without the plywood top.
I still have a ton of cleaning to do but these shots arent too bad.
Feel free to comment as I'm still learning!
Thanks,
       - Matt
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2006 at 1:20am
That is so awesome! Great pics.  You are so lucky. It looks like its is from a time capsule.  A lot can be learned from those pics, keep them coming. The headlight trim is body color, early windshield adjusters, full float rear axle, column shift, original naco taillight, keyed coil, steel spoke steering wheel, bolt on steering arms on the knuckles.It's even got the tailgate chain covers. Man I've learned a lot about these in the last year. Very cool.

Bob

Edited by Lomar15 - 01 Nov. 2006 at 1:21am
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2006 at 7:48am
Wow great find, A lot of of super early CJ2A's have come from Mass. and RI. due to three or four Willys dealerships, this one not being the earliest. This one is super nice with lots of original parts. Interesting to see that it did not come with solid rims.

On another note I'd love to come and see it, Easton is just over the bridge for me coming from the Cape. I'd bring mine but it's away for the winterUnhappy

Matt

Edited by trader_reed - 01 Nov. 2006 at 7:48am
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2006 at 7:54am
It's fun to pin down some things that have been discussed and were left unanswered. It's finds like this that hold the answers.

~ the side mirror arm was the short one peice

~The mystery holes on the right top bow bracket ended from Eugene's #223 and Matt's #371

~The column shift early did have the "ivory" knob

~ not all the early ones had solid wheels

I got a couple questions. Can you get a pic of the headlight switch? maybe it has the early one.   Also are the pass seat hinges bronze?
Thanks,
Gary

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2006 at 4:46pm
Matt:

Looks like it may still have the original OD "griptite" paint on the brake & clutch pedals.  Is that a non-slip coating?  Is it OD?

Sean
Jerry 45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry 45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2006 at 6:27pm
Matt;
I own 1945 CJ-2A, #11802,  in Connecticut.
It's so exciting to see that you found one in the condition you did. Loved to see it sometime and perhaps help if you need to identify anything.
Go slow and documnet it. It a fantastic find!
Jerry
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2006 at 8:47pm
I would love to see some more pics if possible.  Big%20smile

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2006 at 12:23am
Gary, The hinge material appears to be steel. I have a pic of the headlight switch from the front too.

Sean, The pedals have some black, non-skid type paint or coating on them but the majority is worn off.

Took some more pics of the engine compartment detail (pages 5 & 6 of the link above).
 On page 5, there's a pic of some turn signals I found in the back as well as a part of a gearbox. If anyone can identify them, please do!
I'll continue to clean her up a bit more and I'll invite anyone local to come take a look some weekend day soon. I'm straight out the next week or two, the 18th/19th might work?????
If there's anything alse I can check out or if anyone wants an image of something specific, please let me know.
           - Matt

Edited by connoman59 - 02 Nov. 2006 at 11:42am
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2006 at 7:42am
i am not 100% certain, the last time i saw a pto unit like that, it was being advertised as one from like an M-151? or something to that effect.

guys, anyone else notice the tailgate? mainly that there are no footman loops, and what appears to only be indentations to drill the holes, but no holes themselves? or is the fact that i seeing things since i AM blind in 1 eye?  low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2006 at 7:21pm
Low,
This Jeep has a couple of tales to tell. The absence of footman loops on the tailgate (and the knockouts still in place) means that at least the rear top was not ordered. The windshield still has the thumb turns, I'm not sure if they all had that even if the top wasn't ordered. The PTO dash hole still has the knockout in it so it never had one either. The hand wiper is interesting as it appears to have a (spring) type set-up not the regular passanger side manuel set-up.

Sean,
I painted my pedals last winter and noticed the "sand" coating on mine..I thought someone had painted it without cleaning it up!! I guess I learn another tid-bit.
Noticed that the vaccumn wiper tube is painted black.

Matt,
Put all those tools in a box as I believe each Jeep came with a tool kit that I have never seen. Is it the same as the MB kit?
The pic I need of the headlight switch is the body itself under the dash.
Thanks,
Gary

Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2006 at 12:52pm
That "gear box" looks like the PTO unit for a 4-speed trans used on trucks in the 40's thru 60's,  maybe longer.  A common use for them was to power a hydraulic power pack, which in turn powered the hydraulic rams for the dump lift.  Not found on a "normal" CJ2A.

CJAlaska

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2006 at 11:33pm

Boy it's going to take a while to get all the dirt off this thing, the majority of the tub has a coating of oily dirt, inside and out!

After getting all the sand and tools out, there was oil soaked cardboard and some old linoleum covering a sludge layer.

I just added some more pics, including the underdash pics of the headlight switch, and another view of the tailgate holes people were asking about.
More to come this weekend I hope!!!
    - Matt

45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2006 at 4:21pm
maybe, Matt, as a suggestion, add the link to your viewing page, in your signature, that way people can click from your posts, not track back to the 1st page....again, just a suggestion :)  low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>