Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Safety sally isnt invited

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety sally isnt invited
    Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 10:43pm
Just dumped in the Jeep 5gal, real fuel (non corn hole gas) from my military jerry can in less than 30sec.  Didnt spill one drop and didn’t have to fiddle with one of those stupid so called safety plastic cans.  Top that Mr red plastic can with your awkward safety valve that you have to fumble with all the while trying juggle the weight of the fuel.  And the gas still smells like real gas from when I put in the can this past spring.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2017 at 12:26am
Wow!, hardly believable, you did not start on fire and burn your place down, no wicked evil sparks between the can and tank you better go buy a lottery ticket

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2017 at 8:41pm
Pictures and videos or it didn't happen!!!
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2017 at 9:17pm
A friends father used to run a drag line for cleaning ditches or building a dam. They would load up several GI cans and load them in the truck to fuel the thing.
They had a fitting that screwed into the GI can that had a piece of 2" pipe with a vent welded inside it as well. They could dump a lot of fuel into it in a short period of time.
I have several flex hoses for GI cans and most of them suck. I suppose you could say I have a favorite flex line...
Go for it folks.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 3:31am
Yeah, but Brett, you have an M-38 with that giant fuel neck.  It's easy to get a lot of gas in there in a few seconds!  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 4:10am
my son the Lieutenant likes to get me with "nobody outranks general safety!"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 1:17pm
you can thank the lawyers and stupid people for muckin that up for us.  Personally I use the racecar fuel bottle from Summit racing for storing fuel around the house. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 7:12pm
I just got a text from my brother-in-law: "I've got three steel jerry cans I don't need any more. Do you want them? I'd just as soon not throw them away."  My answer: "I'll be right there!" Big smile  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I just got a text from my brother-in-law: "I've got three steel jerry cans I don't need any more. Do you want them? I'd just as soon not throw them away."  My answer: "I'll be right there!" Big smile  BW
Some guys have all the luck...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 9:23pm
We had a discussion on gas can solutions for the modern useless gas cans. Not surprisingly also started by Bretto.  I put some pictures on there of a spout that you can get from Amazon to fix your stupid modern "safety" cans. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2017 at 3:25am
Some years ago, Sportsman's Guide had a sale on Swiss and French jerry cans.  I bought six.  I also bought the spouts they were selling.  Those spouts are the worst pieces of crap (except for the "safety" spouts for plastic cans) you can imagine.  Problem is, I don't know where to get a decent spout for the European-type cans. 

There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2017 at 6:04am
That's good to know, Stan, I had seen those "replacement" spouts, but didn't know if they'd fit the new "safety"/"environmentally friendly" cans. I've been hoarding some of the "old-style", "dangerous" Shocked plastic cans and even a couple of steel 1-gallon cans for several years now.

I got the cans from my BIL, they are not GI, but red (Blitz, probably) cans with straight tabs on the caps. Still much better than what's available today. I haven't looked them over real close yet. He said he also has a couple of the lever-actuated expanding-rubber spouts and a couple of the screw-in type, and he'll get them all to me when he finds them. He said that if I hadn't taken them, he would have given them to ARC, and I'll bet that they would not have been allowed to sell them and would have had to discard them. Angry   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2017 at 5:22am
"Give me Jerry-cans or give me death!"

I can dump two jerries into the 2A, have a smoke, a snort of whiskey, a nap and maybe a nooner in the time it takes to dump a 5g safety can of diesel into the old 'Hound.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2017 at 12:31pm
I was at Murdock's the other day and saw a "water can" spout that looks just like the old flex spout for plastic gas cans.  The wrapper says it's "OK to use with solvents or petro chemicals".  Some clever advertising genius figured out how to sell the old style plastic gas can spout dressed up as a water can spout.  I bought one.  It works on my plastic gas cans.  I may go buy another just to have on hand. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 2:37pm
Instead of a spout I got a battery powered pump from amazon or northern or somewhere. It's made like the the old bulb type pumps for filling up a kerosene heater. It works great on American style Jerry cans. Just set the can on the ground, put the pump in and the hose in the tank and hit the switch. Don't even have to hold the can up. It's too big to fit in a NATO can though, so I just use a funnel. 
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 3:29pm
http://mil.sceptermilitary.com/sites/scepter_militarymil_02/images/fuelContainers/fuel_containers.jpg
I have several of the Scepter military cans and spouts.  Very HD plastic w/internal venting for pouring.
You can dump 5ga empty in 30sec. You can find them on Epay but not cheap.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply