Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Selling my Dart **updated**

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selling my Dart **updated**
    Posted: 10 July 2017 at 5:26am
The motor in the CJ is toast, so I just listed my Dart Sport for sale all down the west coast. I'm not trying to get anyone interested in it, just sitting here chain smoking, drinking, and hating myself.

I bought the car originally as a 73 Duster back when I was in the army and paid a whopping $500 for it. I was looking for a jeep at the time, but a rusted out basket case started out at $3500 at that time in Georgia.

The car sucked up all the abuse I could throw at it and was a blast to drive. My future wife and I spun it into a guard rail just west of Spokane one year when we were up here visiting from Austin, Tx.

We ended up buying a replacement Dart Sport body from a salvage yard in Texas and completely rebuilt the car from scratch in about a week back in '98. We built the 'new' body as a '71 Demon clone except for the brake panel. I wish we'd known about title brands at the time.

That car and I have been through a lot together. Driven across the continent a few times, towed a full-size International pick-up with a blown engine out of the mountains of north Idaho once, made a couple spring break runs to Florida while I was in the army, nearly died a couple times pushing it well past anything remotely resembling sane.

I got pulled over once, just outside of Marietta, Ga. The county cop clocked me at 146 in a 55. I should have gone straight to jail. It would have been huge trouble. I had just went on leave from the army and shouldn't have been off post yet, but I was already four hours down the road.

He came up to the window and said "You have exactly one chance to not go to jail tonight. You're going to tell me exactly how you got this thing to go this fast. I have one in my driveway." It was like a tech inspection on the side of the freeway.

When we got done, I looked at him and said "Kiss and tell, sir. How the hell did you pull up on my ass like that when I was doing almost 150?"

His car was the first year of the swoopy Caprice. We walked over to it and he pops the hood. CORVETTE across the valve covers and a wrist thick sway bar were the first things I saw. It turns out that the Georgia State Patrol had ordered the car as an interceptor and refused delivery for some reason. Marietta County picked it up and he ended up with it. He wouldn't tell me how fast he was going but it had to be in the 170mph range.

Anyway now it's on CL and I'm hoping to get enough for it to pick up a new motor for the CJ.

Beer skål, my friend.

Edited by LesBerg - 24 July 2017 at 3:43am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 6:05am
FWIW, the engine shop I found is S&J Engines out of Spokane. Their price tag on a long block 76 Buick odd fire is about $1500 with a 7 year, 100k mile warranty, with a good core.

Since mine is cracked in a couple places, I'll be paying about $1750 to drive up and drop the motor in the back of the pickup. They also ship nationwide.
EDIT
Never mind. Their customer service has horrible reviews, and whether or not they stand behind their warranty is a complete crap shoot.

Edited by LesBerg - 16 July 2017 at 1:53am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 11:11pm
Post the link here so we can check it out.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 11:21pm
I hate stories like this, but am all too familiar...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 2:02am
Don't let it go cheap.
I may still have a 1977 Buick V6 even fire? metric ports? in CT I may not be using.
I'll ask my brother if he has a plan for it.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:34am
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

His car was the first year of the swoopy Caprice.

What year would that have been?  I didn't know Caprices were ever swoopy.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 7:56am
Remember Shamu?
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 12:12pm
I'm guessing Chevrolet Impala 9C1 of 94-96 which had the LT-1 350s vs the old box 77-90

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:02pm
I've driven both of those models over the years. The later had a bench seat with no cage. Taught you to always wear your seat belt, especially going around corners. Clap
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:12pm
Save the car, drop in a runner
Rebuild a dauntless or even fire in your leisure time.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:30am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

I'm guessing Chevrolet Impala 9C1 of 94-96

Thanks for the info and pics. Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:23am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

I'm guessing Chevrolet Impala 9C1 of 94-96 which had the LT-1 350s vs the old box 77-90

Yep, that was the one.

Hold on, I'm going to edit this a few times and answer a bunch of questions..

Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

Post the link here so we can check it out.
This is the link to the ad:

Originally posted by Rich M. Rich M. wrote:

Save the car, drop in a runner
Rebuild a dauntless or even fire in your leisure time.

I'll check it out. Being an even fire motor it might not be a drop in. I'm not sure if the bell pattern is the same - I believe it is. It would have to come with the flywheel, even-fire and odd will mechanically swap with each other, but the balance is significantly different. I'd also have to fab up a new set of headers - I believe the flanges/bolt patterns are different.

I found a 225 runner up in Kalispell for $200, but I don't have any funds for the jeep until the Dart or the Fairlane sells. At that point, I have an offer for a low-mile rebuild from one of the gents here on the forum. It would just be a matter of a run out to pick it up.

With an odd-fire 231 or a 225 Dauntless I can do the entire motor swap in about four and a half hours.

Honestly, I love the sound of the odd-fire motors and I'm trying to maximize parts interchange.

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Don't let it go cheap.
I may still have a 1977 Buick V6 even fire? metric ports? in CT I may not be using.
I'll ask my brother if he has a plan for it.
If it's a 77, it could be either even or odd. The fastest way to tell is run the casting number off the top of the back of the block.

I really want to stick to odd-fire. If I can't for some reason I'd rather go either back to the flatty with a turbo or to diesel power. If I go diesel, I'd like to drop in a turbo OM617. It's a very durable, high revving diesel. I think it redlines at 4000 rpm like the original L134 and develops about the similar power as the 76 Buick V6.

The OM617 would present a few challenges - they're heavier than the L134 and no one makes an adapter to the T90, so I'd need to have one made. That or find a trans that adapters re available for, but the adapters aren't cheap. IIRC, they start at about $800.

Edited by LesBerg - 16 July 2017 at 2:02am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:50am
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

I've driven both of those models over the years. The later had a bench seat with no cage. Taught you to always wear your seat belt, especially going around corners. Clap

I've always insisted that everyone in the car is buckled. I won't go anywhere until they are, and if someone refuses, they can find another ride.

When I lived down in Austin before we were married, I bought Tichelle a bus ticket to come down from Boise. She was not impressed with my seatbelt requirement. The first Monday she was there I took her with me when I went to work. When I got out I handed her my keys (to the Duster/Dart in the ad-it's. long story) and debit card and reminded her that she was to always to wear the seatbelt.

Of course, as soon as she was out of sight, she took it off. She drove that car as aggressively as I did. She was wearing a skirt that morning, and the very first time she made a left turn the car dumped her out of the driver's seat onto the trans hump. That was the last time she's ever been in any vehicle without a seat belt - except for the jeep, of course.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 3:34am
aaand we just got back from a mad dash to Kalispell.  A guy out there had a pair of BV6s for sale for $200. They're supposed to be in decent, if very dirty, shape. We'll see.

One is a Dauntless 225, which is supposed to have a good bottom end. I'm going to crack it open this week, clean it up, and start measuring parts. With any luck, this will be a 'get me through' motor until I can get the Dart sold and pick the excellent motor one of the gents here on the forum has offered.

I haven't had a serious bite on the Mopar yet and we need the jeep driveable soon. I'd also like to have a backup odd fire on hand in case we find a jeep for my wife. She's chomping at the bit to have her own. So much so, in fact, that she brought up buying these two motors and drove the entire eleven and a half our round trip today to pick them up. Of course, I ran navigator duties.

The second motor is an even fire. I need to run the casting numbers to know what year, etc. Not sure what I'll do with it, as I don't have a starter or flywheel for it. At some point I'm going to tear it down and mic the parts on it as well and see what's what. I may see what I can do to grab a used flexplate, bell housing, and starter so I can run a compression test.

I have a spare CJ5 radiator so I'm considering building a 'ground-hop kit' so I can start them up and run them without having to stuff them in a vehicle.

Dauntless:

even fire

like I said, dirty. Gonna tear them down and check them out.

Oh, they both have intakes, and I already have two. I'll check fitment, but at this point it looks like I have three intakes suitable for odd fire motors. If anyone needs a cast original-style manifold, let me know.

Stay tuned.

Edited by LesBerg - 24 July 2017 at 3:48am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 3:01pm
For the wife, I'd build her a flatfender with the even fire with a Turbo 350 using the Novak adapter.  If it was me, that is.  Seems to me that would be easier than trying to find a manual flywheel for the even fire.  

OM617?  Mercedes?  Now that would be an interesting swap.  When I lived in Belgium I drove an old 200D around.  It'd take forever to get up to highway speed, but once it got there, the only way it'd slow down was to hit the brakes.  
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 6:43pm
If I was to build a jeep for my wife (if I had a wife), she could darn well be happy with a Go-Devil and a T-90, or do without.Stern Smile
  Confused Maybe that's part of why I don't have a wife. Wink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 6:46pm
HAHAHA! If I tried to put a slushbox in a jeep for my wife, she'd beat me to death with it. She was disappointed when she found out that the 54 Greyhound bus we bought only had four gears..Thumbs Up
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Post Reply Post Reply