Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serial number question...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blreynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serial number question...
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 5:53pm
I'm considering buying a '47 cj2a from an individual that does not have a title for the jeep.  Here in Georgia where I live a vehicle doesn't have to have a title prior to 1985 so a bill of sale will let me register it.  BUT, the serial number plate is missing from the firewall.  Where else is the S/N stamped on the jeep?

He actually has this cj2a and an MB and he wants to sell both of them to me which I might do but bodies are pretty rough.  The MB worse than the 2a but looks like floor pans and rear deck area at least need to be replaced.

Both of these jeeps are a long way from being back on the road.  He wants $1,850 for the pair so also not sure if that's reasonable.  Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!  I'm a member of the Willys Tech List over on Yahoo but thought this is the best place for 2a info!

Blake Reynolds
Dacula, Georgia
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 5:59pm
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj2a-serial-numbers-locations_topic13957.html

check for a frame tag... that number would match the SN tag on the firewall

Edited by mbullism - 20 Sep. 2017 at 6:01pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 6:14pm
Possibly a serial number plate still exists on the left hand (driver side) outside frame rail just behind the front bumper. If it isn't there then the original serial number doesn't exist.

If you need an identification number you could possibly find the engine serial number on the flat boss located just above the water pump and just in front of the cylinder head. It won't be there if the block has been decked during a rebuild. This serial number on the engine would not correspond with the original vehicle serial number, but many states registered vehicles this way back in the day.

If the jeep was produced before sometime in 1948, you could possibly find the ACM number on the front face of the left hand (drivers) firewall toeboard just above where the toeboard bolts to the frame. Again, it is a number that has little relationship to the original serial number. You might find another ACM number on the right side (passenger) of the tailgate and it may or may not match the number on the toeboard. If you find either ACM number, it could be used for registration purposes.

Or you could stamp a number on the block boss yourself and use that.

An ACM number was stamped on bodies made for Willys through sometime in 1948 when Willys took over the manufacture of the bodies in house. ACM stood for American Central Manufacturing Co.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 8:57pm
What SE Kansas 46 said is all good. However, the engine serial number may be stamped on a raised oval on the right side of the block.

Oh yeah, I think that the price is reasonable for both rigs with Bills Of Sale. However, ultimately the rigs are worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. 

IHTH, Cpt logger.

Edited by cpt logger - 20 Sep. 2017 at 9:00pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 11:30pm
And when / if that all fails watch the auction sites and for sale sections of this forum.

If all GA needs is a serial number, data plates do turn up from people junking out (uh, repurposing) old jeeps.
That serial number plate and a Bill of Sale from that person gives an identity to an otherwise 'orphaned' vehicle.

Some people have questioned the legalities of such doings but most of those people also live in States that require a title.

I guarantee you there are people here with parted out jeeps that will never be built again (or registered) that still have data plates on 'em.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 11:40pm
I think I got this from somewhere online, but for what it's worth, there were no standardized vehicle information numbers prior to 1954. I get the impression that like Cpt Logger said, it was not uncommon to use the engine number as the vehicle ID number.
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 4:45am
Some states will issue a VIN number if there is not one on your vehicle. 
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 5:23am
Hey, isn't there a supplier that makes new data plates for our Willys? I do not know what they will require, other than money, to make you a new one. It might be worth looking into. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 1:31pm
He would still need a number for the data plate maker though.....the actual plate isn't much of a problem.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 4:54pm
When I registered mine they added cj2a to the vin# and all my data plates were intact. Thought that was odd. They also looked at the ACM# on ft bracing. 
Phil
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by a4cj2a77 a4cj2a77 wrote:

When I registered mine they added cj2a to the vin# and all my data plates were intact. Thought that was odd. They also looked at the ACM# on ft bracing. 
Phil
Keep in mind that it was California doing the registration and they tend to march to the beat of a different drummer at times...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 7:29pm
Part of this isn't Jeep related but when I brought the '51 Chevy home that was my aunts in IA I had to take it into a place to have the serial number verified. The paperwork came back telling me the numbers didn't match. I went out and whomever did the paperwork couldn't tell the difference between a G and an 8.
My brother was having troubles registering his M 38 because the dash plates were missing. I set my beer down and walked over to tilt the passenger seat foreword to show him another plate that was riveted to the body with the serial number.
uncamonkey
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Originally posted by a4cj2a77 a4cj2a77 wrote:

Phil
Keep in mind that it was California doing the registration and they tend to march to the beat of a different drummer at times...
About 90% of the time they march funny. Hell we are almost a sanctuary stateCry
Phil
blreynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blreynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 4:15pm
Thank you for all the posts, appreciate the info!  I'd like to post several pics of both jeeps for you all to see and tell me what you think.  Can I post pics on this forum?  Guess I could put them out on a google drive and share the link.

Thanks!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 5:11pm
In the howto section there is a thread with a link by jpet where he explains how to post pictures.
Click on this link, t hen click on the link in the first post by jpet.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
blreynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blreynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 7:45pm
Here are several pics of the '47 cj2a and a couple of pics of the MB.  Both are really rough but I hate to see them continue to rot away.  He wants $1,850 for the pair.  I have a friend that may take the MB but not sure he knows what he's getting into...  Wanted to get the opinion of the folks on this page.

By the way, the first pic is of my 1948 4wd Willys pickup.  I've owned it about 20 years but want a cj2a as well...

Thanks for the opinions on these two jeeps!

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 8:30pm
Assuming everything I can't see or know is good, even here in the NE I wouldn't get into the 2A for much more than 500...especially without paper.  The flip side is that anything over that is going to be a pittance compared to what you'll put into it...  have you put a wrench to that and does it turn over?

Just sayin' Ermm

(Nice truck! Thumbs Up)

Edited by mbullism - 22 Sep. 2017 at 8:33pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 9:12pm
Great looking truck!

From the pictures I can tell you that the CJ-2A was produced sometime in 1946 or early 1947 and would have been between the serial numbers 15304 to 97740...if the windshield and grille are original. If it is indeed a 1947 model it would have a serial number between 83380 and 97740. That narrows the serial number down to 14,360 units assuming that it is a 1947 model. It is in rough shape and being stored outdoors has not helped its condition. There is likely water in the transmission, and with no air cleaner there could be issues with water in the engine, although is the hood has been closed all the time, that may not have happened.

I can tell you that the MB does not have its original rear axle. It is likely the rear axle out of a CJ model. It too has been outdoors and the transmission would be an issue.

I kind of agree with mbullism, not more than $500 each...and at that you are going to have plenty of work and parts in the pair...

...but, if you have the disease like some folks do then do what you think is right. We will understand...we have mostly all been there at some point...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>