Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Service manual

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service manual
    Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 3:09pm
Forgive me. Can't remember. Plus it is morning!

When assembling a "L" head motor and following the procedures in the service manual, was there a misprint or something reversed or does one follow it exactly and have a happy, running motor?

I seem to recall something but...
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 6:33pm
I followed the manual and didn’t end up with a happy running engine. 😩 Wasn’t a fault of the manual. What part of the text do you think is suspect?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I followed the manual and didn’t end up with a happy running engine. 😩 Wasn’t a fault of the manual. What part of the text do you think is suspect?

I vaguely remember something about the orientation of the connecting rods or something where it is suppose to face in a certain direction or ??   

I could also be over thinking all of this   
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 7:47pm
My book has it right. The wide part of the offset end goes away from the nearest main bearing, and the oil squirt hole goes on the side away from the camshaft. If you're unsure about the offset part, when you get one mated up to the crankshaft, look down into the bottom of the piston - the small end of the rod should be centered in the piston. If you have it wrong, it will be clear over against the pin boss on one side.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 7:54pm
This is a long shot but....... I was just reading about mounting the flywheel to the crankshaft per  "factory" specs such that the timing marks apply to #1 and #4 cylinders when timing.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

This is a long shot but....... I was just reading about mounting the flywheel to the crankshaft per  "factory" specs such that the timing marks apply to #1 and #4 cylinders when timing.

Here's a thread from the Tech FAQs section about flywheel installation/orientation.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 10:58pm
Typically on most inline engines, the numbers on the rods (1234) are on the camshaft side of the engine.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2017 at 12:08am
I seem to recall that on the vernco website (when it was still available) there was a reference to labeling on the Voltage Regulator.  It had something to do with the terminal labels.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2017 at 11:31pm
Thanks to everyone for the replies.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2017 at 12:12am
One thing that I thought was missing in the manual was it doesn't mention alignment of the main bearing caps since there isn't any alignment pins and the bolts aren't body bolts to align them. The one that is most important is the front main since it uses the main bearing as a thrust bearing also. What I did was leave the cap finger tight and pulled and held the crank forward while tightening the front cap. The middle and back cap I eye balled them.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 2:57am
Another thing that I didn’t see in the manual was the torque value for the crankshaft nut. So I just set it PDT (pretty darn tight). 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply