Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shocks
    Posted: 29 May 2017 at 4:07pm
I was wondering what most guys are using for shocks? stock differentials one inch lift springs half inch lift shackles. I think they may need to be a little longer. I am sure they will need to travel to full crush. not sure about the other way. is there a special way to figure length and travel?

thanks for any help.
Harry
Harry Eisenhauer
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 5:29pm
I went on Rock Auto and just started doing a random search. They list the exact dimensions of the shocks - collapsed, extended and travel. Mine has a 2ish inch lift. I ended up with Rear shocks from and Isuzu Trooper for the front and Jeep Grand Cherokee rear shocks matched up nicely to the rear dimensions i needed. I went with a simple middle of the road Gabriel. Can't remember exactly - but maybe $20 each. 

Is your jeep at ride height, with weight on it? Measure eye to eye. Measure distance from bump stop to axle. That's your travel. You don't want your shocks to bottom out. So figure in some fluff/give for the bump stop compressing. 

So let's say you have a measurement of 3 inches to bump. Ideally you want a shock with 3.5ish inches of shaft showing. So taking from that, use your eye to eye measurement...minus 3.5 inches...and arrive at your collapsed length. 

Shocks are tricky on these things because they are so short. Getting shock with 6-8 inches of overall travel is considered pretty good. So again using that 3.5 inches of up travel - if you find a shock with 7 inches of overall travel, that gives you 3.5 inches extended - or droop.

that at least gets you in the ball park of the dimensions you need. Double check mounting too. I found perfect dimension shocks, almost ordered them, then noticed the upper mount was a stud. 

Edited by nofender - 29 May 2017 at 5:32pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:39am
Rancho has a chart to determine which of their shocks works for your application. Like nofender stated, you want know which way your springs and travel go, more up or down. I have rear springs on the front of my 2a, so there is a lot more travel than stock. My distance between shock stud to stud is exactly the same (19 inches) for front and rear, so I bought four of the same Rancho shock. I favored mine more towards the downward travel, because the springs will only flatten so much, but will hang down even lower. I have over nine inches of travel in the shocks I have on now. But I also have 2 inch longer shock mounts, 2 1/2 inch spring lift, 1 inch body and Confer shackles, which add a little more, so around 4 1/2 total lift, but 2 inch higher towers. I also did not get gas charged for the 2a because I think its too light for gas and didn't want to have them unload on me. Plain old oil, hydraulic. My 2 cents anyways.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
 Post Reply Post Reply