Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop heat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shop heat
    Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 4:48pm
Just curious if any of you are using any DIY type heaters for your work shops?  I've got a large propane jet heater, but propane is expensive.  So I've just been googling/YouTubing different types of waste oil, or gas bottle rocket heaters, etc.  

How well do these actually heat shop?  Pictures if you can.  Thanks.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 7:11pm
cant post pictures in here yet...did you get my pm ?
mam
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 7:40pm
Just make sure you're careful about fumes with portable heaters. 
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 9:52pm
wisewaypelletstove.com/index.html
Interesting idea, I bet you could build your own.
healey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote healey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 11:16pm
I put a Hot Dawg heater in my two car garage and added some ceiling fans to circulate the air.  Works great. 

1948 CJ2A
Bantam trailer

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 12:30am
  I've got a barrel stove. It will keep you warm. You'll work up a sweat bustin' up wood to keep the stove goin'. You won't get anything else done, but you'll be warm. LOL  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 12:39am
Here's where I'm at, and NO the stove door does not just get left open.. Yup 2x on whut BW sez about bustin wood..

Edited by RICKG - 15 Dec. 2017 at 12:42am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 12:43am
If you worked construction, or have been carbon monoxide poisoned, you will need a VENTED heater.  Wood, pellets, gas, etc. just be sure it's vented. If you feel weak, dizzy and can't balance yourself, get out of the shop right now!!!!!!!!!! (Booze excluded) LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 1:29pm
Cowboy64, I got your PM.  Sorry have been very busy.

Thanks for all the replies.  Unfortunately, I am very familiar with carbon monoxide poisoning.  (A few went to the ER in the middle of the night, but we all survived it).  My shop is about 32 x 80, so I'm not very confined.  But it is a lot of area to heat.  I have one ceiling fan and plan to add a 2nd to keep the air circulating.  Also, I don't intend to keep it heated all the time, just when I'm out there.  Knock the chill off in the winter.  

I don't have enough trees to cut them down, so if I ditch the propane, pellets or waste oil may be the way to go.  A ton of pellets would probably get me a long way, but initial cost of the stove is the bigger issue going that route.  I think waste oil would be fairly easy to get a hold of.  I'm just not at all familiar with waste oil burners yet.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 1:56pm
Waste oil heaters have consumables. They wear out igniters and baffle plates, blowers. EPA wants to know where you get the oil and from whom now. Unless you find a used heater, I think they are like $4500.00. 

Unvented space heaters will make you sick. They do me. Diesel ones the worst. I've seen guys use a used hanging heater and just vent it out the window with a pipe. Clearances from combustibles need to be observed and code wants the open flame 18 inches off the garage floor. The coolest gas/propane heaters now mount up by the ceiling and have tube type heat exchangers and a power vent. Way easy to install. No hole in the roof either. That type gets my vote. 

Just be safe. 29 degree floors and 92 degree ceilings with a quick heat cycle will make all your tools and metal parts sweat. Then rust. I tried everything in my shop. A small work area insulated and 50 degree maintenance ended up the best. Warmer floor, fast heating to working temperature, and some liquids not freezing anymore. 

Then add TV, music, and pole dancing and you have a man cave!LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 3:15pm
Because I work in a two car garage and have precision machine tools and equipment in the same space, I decided that the best option for me was to just put a small standard gas furnace in the attic of the garage. I first insulated the attic space and put down decking, then I installed the furnace. The system has four supply grilles in the ceiling at each corner of the garage and a centrally located return with a filter in the ceiling. I set the thermostat at about 62 degrees and it keeps the place at that temperature even on the coldest days. I have insulated garage doors also. Keeping the garage at a steady temperature has eliminated the sweating that occurred without the system. I almost ruined a mill with the sweating problem that I had. I caught the rust just in time to not cause problems. I have too much invested in precision tooling to risk damaging it with a sweating problem.

(full disclosure, I worked just before I retired for a HVAC company and got the employee discount)

A plus in the summer is that I also have air conditioning. I only set the stat in the summer at 77, but at my age I don't take the heat like I used to.

Admittedly, this is a bit more expensive of a way to keep a shop at a comfortable temperature, but I spend many hours in my shop. I'm not just working on Ol' Red, but I do many metalworking projects with my lathe, mill, and welder. It is a clean system and I don't have to haul wood or pellets to the stove. Using a furnace also doesn't affect my insurance rates.

I realize that for those of you that have larger shops that this probably wouldn't be a justifiable solution, I just suggest this for someone with a small area to maintain.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 4:55pm
I'll add that one of the exhausts of many salamander type heaters, especially propane is water vapor... beyond the CO you're literally pumping water into your space...onto cold tools.  My 24x24 uninsulated garage has a 220v heater that'll take the edge off the coldest day, but on those days I'll run the sally a short while to get things warmed up and then switch to the electric to maintain longterm... not cheap.  When I'm not out there I leave the electric on it's lowest setting, which usually holds in the low 40's... enough to keep stuff from freezing (and the winter air is generally pretty dry anyway)

Someday when I'm rich I'll get to something more permanent.  Someday.

Edited by mbullism - 15 Dec. 2017 at 4:57pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 9:30pm
I have a Shenandoah wood stove.. My shop is about 24x30. It heats about at about 10 degrees and hour and tops out around 65 on a chilly day. If its windy out it has to work a lot harder. I have found 50 degrees is just about right for me if Im busy working. The current temp in my shop is yucky! I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to do out there today, but couldnt bring my self to go out and start a fire. Its 30 out there now but was around 16 this morning. 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 10:14pm
Not a hijack but something of an 'in conjunction with' post.....

......could those with pellet heaters be a little more specific as to likes or dislikes. I've been looking into those lately as a curiosity more than anything at the moment because of the lack of experience with them here in the South......(you know, because it never gets below 75 degrees here) yeah, right

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 10:23pm
I heat my garage with a wood furnace with a blower,no problem heating the working area of 26'x28' and 
9 1/2 ceiling.On the coldest day out I have no problem working in the garage with a t-shirt on.The garage is also insulated.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 10:41pm
I used to sell and install wood pellet stoves... I never had interest in buying one. They are finicky, expensive, and need a lot more cleaning and maintenance than I care to put into a stove. I was also never that impressed with the heat output. I also don't like buying pellets. We sold them for $245 a ton. We would burn through a ton in no time!  We sold several different brands and they all performed the same. Snap disc switches and mother boards were constantly giving us service calls. Igniters and auger were also commonly replaced items. The dirtier the environment the more often things broke, and the more burning issues customers would have.... It wouldn't last long in my garage with all the dust....A cold air kit would help with that. That is just my opinion.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 11:21pm
Thank you... That is exactly the info I was formulating as well.

Thanks for confirming.....I don't want to mess of burning wood and just thought these might be an alternative. I think my little propane bottle heater will work for me right now.

When it gets time that I need a totally heated workspace I'll consider other options.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 12:08am
I have a wood burner in my garage, and home, hands down the "Best Heat". I have a corn/wood pellet stove in my home as well, I very much like and burn corn in it, I tried it in my garage but did not like it there as others have said its not handy in the garage, the down side of a pellet stove is they only put out so much heat, if you are trying to heat up a cold area it takes forever, maintaining a warm building they work fine. Last winter I installed a Mr Heater forced air furnace I purchased at northern tool (propane) I keep the garage at 52 deg. And if I need more heat I'll fire up the wood stove if I'm out there on the weekend. I'm very pleased with the furnace as it cuts down on my firewood consumption and costs about $150 to run for the winter. We have a used oil furnace at work, it heats a large shop well (300,000 btu) if managed correctly would be fine (my boss only manages failures, LOL) but seems to have much down time and requires baby sitting, we have more drain oil than we need, if you do not you need to find it, haul it and deal with the mess, I would not own one.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>