Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop heat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 1:42am
my shop is 30 x 50..16' wall my energy logic waste oil heater keeps it very comfortable..set thermastat to 50 at night to save oil..right at 6000 hours on it..changed my first nozzle last year,,maybe two filters a year...expensive at first..but large tax credit when i bought it..and free fuel ! My biggest problem,.several folks in area have one now..so i lost a few sorcess of waste oil ...
mam
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 9:06pm
My shop is 30'x30' with 11' ceilings and insulated. This is the original heater my father put in over 45 years ago. Runs on propane, I turn it on when I go out there and it heats the shop in  10 minutes. I paint in here and have no problem keeping it at 80°If needed, 60° most of the time. 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 9:23pm
Lee, I have almost the exact Reznor unit in my shop, maybe a bit newer. Thing is a beast.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

My shop is 30'x30' with 11' ceilings and insulated. This is the original heater my father put in over 45 years ago. Runs on propane, I turn it on when I go out there and it heats the shop in  10 minutes. I paint in here and have no problem keeping it at 80°If needed, 60° most of the time. 
This is probably the best solution for a large shop, especially one with a high ceiling.I have worked on installations of Reznor units where four of them will heat a medium size gymnasium. They are reliable and heat the place quick and keep the temp where it belongs.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 4:37am
We have four of them in our warehouse at work.  Just found out they disconnected two of them.  I may have to talk to the owner about buying one.  I'm assuming they can be converted from natural gas to LP?
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 3:04pm
Just a nozil I think, mine is so old I think it was converted from whale oil, still works great. 
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Freedom21 Freedom21 wrote:

We have four of them in our warehouse at work.  Just found out they disconnected two of them.  I may have to talk to the owner about buying one.  I'm assuming they can be converted from natural gas to LP?
The jets have to be changed in the gas valve from gas to LP but it is a simple job. You would have to get the kit from a dealer that handles Reznor units.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 4:20pm
My lift is right in front of the heater, before I paint something I raise it up and let it get warm. It can blow dust around a bit when painting, I turn it off when I'm actually spraying then leave it on between coats and when I'm done. 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 4:25pm
Do those heaters HAVE to be mounted at ceiling level?

I assume it's to be out of the way and circulation......but it also looks like the rafters stay really warm.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I assume it's to be out of the way and circulation......but it also looks like the rafters stay really warm.

No, just out of the way there, I have a ceiling fan in the middle of the shop to move the heat, works very well.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

The Reznor units do have deflectors on the face that can be directed down if you want, but a ceiling fan like Lee has is probably more effective and a very good addition.

Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 6:37pm
I've decided to go the wood stove route.  I'm going to section off one third of my shop to heat less of it.  I'll be able to fire up the torpedo heater to knock the chill off until the wood stove gets going.  Here's what I did yesterday.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 6:59pm
Interesting, you warm the wood before burning it.LOL
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 7:16pm
I'm not a monster.  :)

Edited by Freedom21 - 01 Jan. 2018 at 7:18pm
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 9:14pm
Maybe the thread name should be "lack of shop heat".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12