Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sh*t Happens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sh*t Happens
    Posted: 27 Oct. 2013 at 1:41am
Ok it may not be a flatty or even a jeep, but bear with me. So I was driving back to school after visiting my parents for the weekend. I was doing 60-65 mph along route 95 when out of nowhere I lost all engine power amidst heavy 4-lane traffic. Somehow despite Philadelphian driving habits after slowing down to 30mph I managed to pull over to the right lane and get to an exit ramp and pull of to the shoulder. So it being midnight at the time not many garages were open, but I managed to flag down a tow truck that was coming down my exit ramp.

Believing it was a simple electrical problem I diagnosed the coil as finally giving up the ghost. So I though just drop a new coil in and off we go. A few days later after I got a new coil in the mail from Walck's I dropped in the new coil and cranked the engine over. No dice, the engine still wouldn't start. I opened up the distributor and found that the rotor was not turning when the engine cranked. I pulled the dizzy (It was greasy, but no rust thank god) and inspected the drive gear. Not a single flake of metal was chipped off, the gear was in perfect condition. Ok, so my next thought was that the camshaft wasn't turning. A simple look down the distributor hole at the camshaft confirmed my thoughts.

Fearing that the high rpm starved one of the bearings of oil and snapped the camshaft, I dove into the engine removing the front grill, pulling the radiator, battery tray, steering bellcrank, dropped the oil pan and clutch bell housing cover, all to remove the front timing cover and reveal the real culprit. A stripped fiber timing gear. Unhappy
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2013 at 1:52am
I just rebuilt the engine in my GMC and replaced the slightly damaged fibre gear with an alloy one......its still very quite when running and  will never let me down.

I am sure you can get one for your engine......

Adrian 
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2013 at 1:54am
I was going to order a new set of gears tomorrow, the crank gear is steel like the original while the cam gear is aluminum.
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1984 Honda VF750F
tomc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2013 at 1:56am
Is that a 53.?
tomc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2013 at 1:57am
I have a 53 convertible that I acquired when I bought by cj2a. It was a package deal.
tomc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2013 at 1:57am
I have a 53 convertible that I acquired when I bought by cj2a. It was a package deal.
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2013 at 1:59am
tomc, see my sticky below this thread. Its a 1950 Chevrolet 4-door. Its going to take a week for the new gears to arrive.Disapprove
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1984 Honda VF750F
tomc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2013 at 2:33am
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2013 at 6:59pm
Had my arm blown off in a 1950 chevy   in 1966 they re installed it  no joint.  ahhh memories
Ed
cj2a lefty
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2013 at 12:20am
Good luck with the repairs, interesting. My dad had 2 early 50 Chev pickups 51-53, he was not fond of Chev after that, drove Fords the rest of his life

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2013 at 2:14am
If I may ask. What caused him to convert to Fordism?
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1984 Honda VF750F
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2013 at 10:18am
Just wanted to update this thread. I got the engine all buttoned up last month and have been putting the car through it's paces. Just last weekend it was time to go get the chrismast tree. We ran into a slippery situation involving a line of cars, rapid snowfall, slick roads, and a steep hill. Spent around a half hour waiting not very impressed at the driver of the front wheel drive honda at the front of the line holding everybody up. I kinda wish I had driven the jeep that day as trying to drive up a hill with no traction isn't the most fun thing in the world. Although, I'm not sure if doing doughnuts driving around corners with an 80-inch wheelbase is wise with traffic around you...

Edited by Clone421 - 19 Dec. 2013 at 10:22am
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1984 Honda VF750F
tomc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2013 at 11:32am
Looks so nice
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2014 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Clone421 Clone421 wrote:

Just wanted to update this thread. I got the engine all buttoned up last month and have been putting the car through it's paces. Just last weekend it was time to go get the chrismast tree. We ran into a slippery situation involving a line of cars, rapid snowfall, slick roads, and a steep hill. Spent around a half hour waiting not very impressed at the driver of the front wheel drive honda at the front of the line holding everybody up. I kinda wish I had driven the jeep that day as trying to drive up a hill with no traction isn't the most fun thing in the world. Although, I'm not sure if doing doughnuts driving around corners with an 80-inch wheelbase is wise with traffic around you...

Somehow this picture reminds me of the Christmas movie where the blond haired kid wants a BB gun.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2014 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Clone421 Clone421 wrote:

If I may ask. What caused him to convert to Fordism?

LOL, I believe the rod bearings were a problem, if I remember correctly. He was not one to abuse an engine, and usually took good care of his equipment.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply