Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signal Stat 800

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signal Stat 800
    Posted: 12 Oct. 2017 at 2:21am
I added turn signals by using a signal stat 800. This is the 8 wire unit that lets you use your parking lights as turn signals but also still operate as parking lights (without going to dual filiment). My electrical system is still 6v. 

I've got it all wired up. Everything seems to be working except the front passenger parking light does not blink. It works as a parking light but goes off when the right turn signal is activated. Everything else works. I checked the connections and everything seems to be good. Wondering if it is the signal stat unit itself. 

The other issue is that it takes about 3-5 seconds for the lights to start blinking. It's a thermal flasher and I think I am on the edge of having enough resistance. I already replaced the front parking lights with the highest watt 6v bulbs I could find. Can I add a resistor to the circuit to reduce the delay? I have no idea how to size it. Or can I go with an electronic flasher?

markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 1:57am
I see that there was a 6v and 12v part number for the Signal Stat 800. Not sure which one I have. I assumed that they were the same except that one has a 12v flasher and one has a 6v flasher. Can anyone confirm? Or could my problem be related to that?

I tried an electronic flasher but nothing flashes. Using the 6v thermal flasher sometimes it flashes and sometimes it doesn't. Any ideas what to check? I Think I'm going to take the switch apart and try to clean the contacts. 
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 5:04am
ok, I figured it out and got everything working. I opened up the switch and cleaned the contacts and now it works. I'll document it here in case someone in the future runs into similar issues. 

If you want to add turn signals without modifying your parking lights and still have them work as parking lights, look for a Signal Stat 800. They frequently appear on eBay. Hook it up using this diagram:

You have to add a few wires to separate your left and right parking lights and tail lights. I then started off with a thermal flasher rated for 6V (part number Signal Stat R421-6V). Since this is a thermal flasher it needs a certain load to operate properly. I switched out my parking lamps for the highest 6v wattage I could find to increase the resistance. What I found is that it still took 2-3 seconds for the lights to start flashing after flipping the switch. And the pilot light on the end of the stalk would only illuminate when the 4 way flasher was activated, not on left turns and right turns. I then tried an electronic flasher (part number EF33W). It says it is for 12V system but it works on 6V. Now when I flip the switch it starts flashing immediately and at a higher rate of speed. Also the pilot light illuminates for left, right and 4 way flashers. 

Hopefully this will help someone looking to add turn signals without too much modification. 

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 2:05am
thank you this helps me I was looking for what type of flasher to use, my intentions are to use a 800 signa lflare just like you , I think I will clean up all the connections too

Edited by shadow - 06 Nov. 2017 at 2:32am
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply