Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skinny Project for BHR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skinny Project for BHR
    Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 3:00pm
Getting ready for the BHR this year and took the recommendations from Oilly to get skinny!

Thanks again JPET for the plans (although I did deviate a little). I did not add the steel plates but I think it will be strong enough.  

Edited by tumbleweed - 03 Jan. 2018 at 3:08pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 4:59pm
Lookin' good George! 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 6:02pm
Are the plans for that rack posted somewhere? 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 9:02pm
Thanks Tim, I just need to prime and paint. I hope I don't get used to the spare tire being on the back side once I switch it around to the right side for city driving!

ndnchf - jpet has drawings but there are others that have posted their builds on the page.

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 9:09pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 9:42pm
Thanks guys, a lot of great ideas.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 11:01pm
Looks good!, I will add, after I made mine and bolted the tailgate shut, the tailgate rattles in the bottom hinges something terrible, I will address the issue before we meet

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 12:11am
Looks good but it's got a problem---------It's not dirty!Wink

There is no law that says you have to put it back unless going to a Jeep show. It is very easy to forget. I only have one with the side spare now and It's been close to hitting more than once. 

Beautiful Jeep George! Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 1:39am
Looks great!
Still lovin the top to.

If someone has a decrepit tailgate, they could just convert it into a M38 style and just use that to temporarily skinny up the Jeep.

Edited by bretto - 04 Jan. 2018 at 1:59am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 2:56pm
Thanks Oilly,

Yes it needs some dirt to add character!

I like bretto's idea as well - it never crossed my mind to just get a spare tailgate!

Lee, I have put nylon washers between the tailgate and the side latch area. I hope that once I tighten it down it does not rattle. I was going to try and use the receiver so I could do a quick change but nixed that thought. It will work for the trails. Just need to add a tray for the polishing compound and rag holder in the event I get too close to the trees and bushes!
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

Thanks Oilly,

Yes it needs some dirt to add character!

I like bretto's idea as well - it never crossed my mind to just get a spare tailgate!

Lee, I have put nylon washers between the tailgate and the side latch area. I hope that once I tighten it down it does not rattle. I was going to try and use the receiver so I could do a quick change but nixed that thought. It will work for the trails. Just need to add a tray for the polishing compound and rag holder in the event I get too close to the trees and bushes!

That will not help!, I did the same, the problem is when you bolt the top of the tailgate, it slightly lifts in the hinges and will rattle!, in stock form the weight of the tailgate itself minimizes this. Perhaps my hinges are wore a bit, but others complained of this as well last year.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 1:09am
Drill a small hole in the bottom of the hinge and tap it for like a 1/4" bolt or screw.....tighten it enough to take out the slack. I do something similar to my receiver hitches to keep them from rattling.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply