Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smaller steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2012 at 12:41am
kevin
are you going to be able to handel the  steering wheel that the spooks is welded up not at 120 degee a part? also the center of my wheel is welded 1" off center.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2012 at 12:59am
I'm going to set everything up in the mold and tack everything together,then I'll burn it all together and then check the fit prior to pouring the black epoxy. Should work ,at least it has in the past. I'll make sure steel doesn't kiss off on the mold surface. Thanks for asking, Sandusky
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2012 at 1:33am
what do you say.
dnnis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
serial # 164136<
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2012 at 3:55pm

Update on Smaller Steering Wheel, I've completed the model. Please disregard the tapped holes on the outer ring ,they are for attachment so the model doesn't move while I develop the parting and laminate the mold. also note inner spline area is solid, this of course cores out the area for the  center hub in the production mold.I must aplogize for the rattle can paint job, but gloss black shows flaws the best. I'm looking for input !!!" Speak Now or" as they" Forever Hold your Peace"(I always thought that referenced a Hand Gun). I realize the spokes could taper down to original dim. where they contact the outer rim. but then as far as I'm concerned that could be done with a sanding board on an individual basis. Please let me know if you see other areas that need attention,I'd like to do this right the first time. Thanks, Sandusky

willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2012 at 10:36pm
This looks great!  put me on the list for one.   I never got to modifying the one I have.

Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2012 at 11:43pm
kevin
from what i can see they look GREAT,GREAT. what are you going to do with the center? my center is off center by 1"?
DENNISBeerBeer
serial # 164136<
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2012 at 12:24am
Dennis I think your wheel is going to require its own special mold......or..maybe you can just have a ring around the outside molded, and fancy up the metal part...   Or you will have to take it back apart and make it fit in Sandusky's mold......with spokes evenly distributed and no offset.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2012 at 3:19pm
Update on steering wheel project, Mold has been built out of fiberglass for now, I didn't want to invest to much time or expense so I built a prototype mold that could be used as a pattern for cast aluminum in the future.I took Ralfs wheel and broke all the old plastic off the outside, shortened the spokes and took the outer ring to a shop and had them roll it to the proper dia..When I have time I'll weld the spokes to the outer ring and Check fit in the mold,the steel will have to be centered in the cavity ,then I'll pour a new epoxy wheel. I hope to have a couple of these for The Spring Reunion for show and tell(ralf I'll return your wheel although it will be smaller than when I got it) I'll post pics of the freshly cast epoxy wheel and then after finishing. these are going to require sanding and final paint. Please remember these are not production line pieces and each one has to be finished by hand! Thanks, Sandusky
xbombtek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xbombtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2012 at 4:10am
If you decide to offer these, I'm in for one!
Dave

1947 CJ2A 109161
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2012 at 5:18pm
Update on 15" Steering Wheel, Mold completed ,poured first wheel ,had some venting issues.  I went ahead and filed out the splines on Ralf's donor wheel, they look pretty good but I haven't tried it on column. I went and finished his wheel ,filling,sanding, priming and painting with a automotive acrylic enamel, with hardener. Painting on a windy day outside doesn't give the greatest quality of paint job ,but then I'm not much of a painter. I had about 5 or 6 hours of prep. before paint. Sooooo I've decided if any one wants one of these they'll be buying a freshly demolded part without any of my time for prep. I simply don't have the time or the desire. The epoxy I use is a Iron filled epoxy resin it's very hard and takes Bondo primer and paint very well.Pictured is the finished wheel and then one that has just been demolded (that's what I will be selling) to purchase I would require your donor wheel (this is exactly the wheel that you would be receiving after I cut down the spokes,have a new 3/8" outer ring rolled, welded to spokes and then poured with my epoxy. We also grind the center hub and add welds the spokes to the inner hub, beefing up orig. spot welds.The holes in the wheel are from 10/24 mach. screws used to locate the ring and spokes in the mold. All said and done with your donor wheel these will probably have to go for approx. $225.00 ea plus shipping. due to the epoxy they will weigh a couple of pounds more than the orig. I will have a total disclaimer of responsibility as far as injury or failure. My Lawyer friends demand me to play the game this way. If anyone is interested let me know, I'll bring these 2 to the Spring Meet in Ohio, (although my 2A isn't making the trip, I'll be bringing a bunch of pics. of parts I'll have for sale in the future. Thanks, Sandusky
williamsmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2012 at 5:26am
what about boring your hole and putting a keyway in.  a machine shop should be able to handle that.  the nut would keep it in place and the keyway maybe two would keep it from spinning.  don't know the steering tube might be to thin.  could drill a hole throught the steering wheel and put a pin through the tube but allow room for horn button.  I am new at this but I am one of those fat ass, i mean big boned fellars.  heck i have been trying for three months to get mine off. it still works but i have another and want to rebuild by ross.  also been looking for narrow tires that helps too.
1946 CJ2A #72643

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2012 at 2:05pm
My wheel has the orig. splines in it. I had my Son shatter the old plastic from my donor 2a then he heated it with a torch and popped it off,then crushed the remainder of the plastic in the jaws of a vice,after attaching the new ring we ground the metal to allow the epoxy to bond .I suppose you could have a Mach. Shop broach a key way,and put a Allen set screw to hold it in place. Thenagain the center of the wheel I'm producing is the same as the orig. Sandusky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 4:52pm
I am still working (that means thinking and not really working) on my idea of the smaller  steering wheel.  Found the following that was interesting.   The idea of a quick disconnect for security/theft is interesting.  15 inches seems to be the ideal diameter.  I wonder how the adapter would work?  Not quite the look I would want but then if we are concerned about looks, we would lose weight instead of thinking about a new steering wheel........Wink

here is a cheaper one:

Edited by willys54wagon - 31 May 2012 at 6:23pm
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 5:16pm
 Much less expensive  than what I can produce.  And without the hassle. Looks like the slots in the black one could be filled in to appear more like a vintage wheel. Sandusky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:05pm
Ok, I started this thread, and think the ideas have all helped.  There is  more than one method to skin the cat (My wife hates it when I say that because she has cats).  Here is my final plan after much lazy thinking.

It contains the splined part that fits on the column (at site picture it is in lower right).   I will drill the center of  my 15 inches steering wheel to as large of a hole as I can and still maintain the integrity.   I will cut/grind the grant adapter to a diameter that will fit the hole I drilled in my 15 inch steering wheel and epoxy it in. I will created some imperfections to give the epoxy some bite.   I have not ruined any orginal jeep parts so can go back to original system if needed.  The original horn button should work.

If you do a search for steering wheel 15, you will get lots of options and prices that look close to original.   Here is one for $20 that appears to have the recess for the outer part of the steering columns. 

(specs if site gets lost)

I have been told this wheel fits Sears ST 16 garden tractors. Please check the dimensions listed below to be sure.

15 inch outside diameter, 3 spokes

Center hub has a 0.75 inch straight bore with a 3/16 inch wide keyway.

The hub is 1.18 inches (1 3/16) thick.

With the hub resting on a table top the hand rim clears the table top by 1.12 inches.

The wheel is black plastic molded over a steel frame.

The plastic has a leather grain texture, not smooth and shiny.

It was made in the USA by Sheller-Globe/United Technologies.

The Sheller-Globe part number is 79-208A1.

It weights about 3 pounds.

So for less than $50 (assuming you have an inventory of epoxy putty) you have something that might work and look close to original.

Ok, now is the time for us steering wheel challenged jeepers to get off the couch and take the easy path of steering wheel modification rather than the other..............................

Report back.  None of my ideas have ever worked as planned but there is always the first time.

Edited by willys54wagon - 31 May 2012 at 6:18pm
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 4:35pm
One thing I wouldn't try is IF you have a steering wheel thats in unrestorable shape is remove the center broached piece and weld it into another steering wheel like I did. I Pressed the center broached piece into a steering wheel I had laying around and welded it. now it doesn't fit the column because the broached piece is to tight. I Couldn't get the nut cinched down all the way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 6:13pm
Was it the welding or pressing that caused the problem?
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 6:44pm
I think it was the press fit mainly, but it could of been how I welded it too I guess, I Did a continuous bead all the way around after I tack welded it in a few places. I was thinking next time I do this Ill do it with the broached piece bolted down on the column.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>