Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smaller steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2012 at 11:43pm
So, did this fabricated smaller wheel work out? Seems like it should be a solution for us big body CJ2A drivers who get tired of black bully marks on our shirts.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2012 at 3:52am
I made a couple and they are out there,Haven't seen any feedback so I'm not sure they got mounted and tried out, hope they didn't have any problems maybe I'll hear something at Jeff.City
Cbeeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2012 at 12:31pm
What is going on at "Jeff City"? Is there a Jeep event?
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2012 at 1:32pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

I made a couple and they are out there,Haven't seen any feedback so I'm not sure they got mounted and tried out, hope they didn't have any problems maybe I'll hear something at Jeff.City
i am waiting for walcks to send me some new bushing for my steeting box. i got the parts about 10 day ago. took them to the machine shop , and they call the next from the shop that the bushing fell thur the bore. call walcks and they said that they would send some right out . waiting 3 or 4 days and call walcks looking for my bushing and they told me that all the bushing in house is bad. so now i am waiting for my parts.
when i get my parts to put the steering box in i well put A NEW STEERING WHEEL MADE BY " KEVIN" ON i wheel tell how it works then. kevin i have place it on the shaft and it goes on. i havent put the nut on.
you cant drive with out the steering.DisapproveCensored
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2012 at 4:23pm
Dennis I'm glad it went on the splined shaft. When I tried it on my donor 2a it didn't want to seat correctly.Probably just dirty and at that point I hadn't properly cleaned the inner splines. Let us know when you're back on the road!
Cbeeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2012 at 11:28pm
Beyond my interest in the smaller wheel fabrication, I too am waiting for the correct steering box bushings from Walcks. Seems all their current inventory is incorrect, although they told me they were aware of the problem and now had the correctly fitting bushing.
birddog7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2012 at 3:46am
Kevin, I have your other smaller steering wheel. It fit okay on my 3B steering shaft.
PM Sent
Birddog
1945 CJ2A
1956 CJ3B
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1946 Bantam Trailer
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2012 at 1:40am
I ran out of time to do my version with an old steering wheel core and  a 15 inch replacement so gave it to my neighbor mechanic to finish for me.    He drilled out the center of the new and lathed the old one down fitted tight and he weld tacked it together.   I just got it back, put it on and it looks like an original to me. 

Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Cbeeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2012 at 1:43am
Great... I am reworking my steering gear, and modifying my seat, to see how well I fit in the restored CJ2A. Once this is done, I may try the smaller wheel.
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2012 at 1:09am
kevin
put the steering box in the jeep and no leaks. put the new steering wheel on the jeep and tighten down the nut. the only promble is i drop the rubber horn button under the gas tank.Censored put the exhaust on today. got to put the new brake switch in . then put the new parts in the steering arm. i have to put the left fender on. there is more room between the belly and the steering wheel.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2012 at 2:25am
Glad to hear it'll work for you,post some pics when you get a chance.In car position!!or you can do like and just never get around to it Sandusky
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2012 at 2:26am
I posted earlier looking for a source for the small rubber horn button, anyone know of a source besides under a certain  gas tank?
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
mdmcmillan88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdmcmillan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2015 at 10:21am
Hey Sandusky,
Are you still modifying the CJ2A steering wheels down to 15".  Looks like you want $225 plus shipping.
Please let me know!
Thanks Mike
frfredl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfredl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 5:00pm
I would love to purchase on for my 73 cj5.  How do I do it and how much does it cost?
frfredl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfredl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 6:38pm
How can I buy a 15" wheel for my '73 CJ5?

frfredl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfredl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 6:42pm
Would like a 15"  for my '73 CJ 5 frdlindstrom@gmail.com
frfredl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfredl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 6:45pm
Do you have a 15" available for a '73 cj5?  frdlindstrom@gmail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>