Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So how much does your old Willys leak??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So how much does your old Willys leak??
    Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 7:19pm
I was under my 1947 Willys Jeep the other night...it has run in front of me a total of about 5 seconds as we were checking to see if it would in fact run...and dont you knowI under the it and here is this big puddle coming from an unknown source...

The last Willys Hotrod that I actually drove piddled everywhere it sat...I rebuilt that one and replaced every gasket and seal that I could swap out and it still marked its spot...

See what I mean??...so how much does your piddle out??

Anybody know why this goes on??...I have had quite a few VW Beetles over the past few years and they are just as messy....

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
Rawlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 7:42pm
I rebuilt the engine in my 48 cj2 used all new gaskets and replaced all gaskets and seals in the trans transfer case. It started leaking shortly after I got it on the road, it was the rear main mostly replaced that again leaked again now I put a Large piece of card board under the jeep. Well actually its card board from 12 packsWink  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 7:45pm
I've been working with my Dr... it's much better now- Embarrassed
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 8:30pm
One small drip from the rear main is all I get.  Fixed the transfer case leak again this fall and it did not return for which I am extremely happy.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 8:30pm
Surprisingly mine does not leak that much.

Has a slight crack under the distributor and it seeps anti freeze rarely

Engine, Trans and transfer case also have slight oil leaks but not enough to worry about.

Beside it keeps everything lubed

Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 10:19pm
Mine used to leak gear oil all over the place. Not a drip after machining and polishing the transfer case output yokes and replacing the output seals. I was surprised how bad the yokes were for being brand new from Novak. They looked like they were hit many times with a ball peen hammer all over the place.
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
joepb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joepb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 11:27pm
If a Willys is not leaking, it is out of oil.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 11:47pm
You got that straight joepb. If it don't leak, you better start checking oil levels!!Wink
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 5:27am
Rebuilt the trans 3x. Tried Permatex = leaked a bit. Tried carboard gaskets, they broke under the torque of the screws = leak a TON. Redone with Permatex a second time = few drips after each run. Rear differential yolk seal leaks a few drops after each run as well. I called a truce and bought a cat litter tray and refill everything 2x a year. Problem solved, for now.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 7:49am
When I got her in Oct '17, the underside was coated in grease/oil. Great for protecting the underside.

Rear main leaked a lot. So did the front of the trans and transfer case output. Some drips from the front of the oil pan and rear yoke.

High mileage oil actually helped stop the rear main to the point I don't see anything from there. That was a surprise.

It took a new output flange and three seals to get the output sealed up. The front flange and seal was replaced.

Next was the rear yoke and seal.

The trans had to come out for a new clutch. The shaft seal got replaced.

The main oil line to the filter was bad, that got replaced.

New copper washer on the drain plug.

The front seal drips a bit. A diaper catches that. I was going to do it when I had the engine and trans out. Too many bolts were breaking and I decided to cut my losses before I found the engine in the machine shop for a rebuild.

The shifter rails leak. Another rag jammed in there. I want to replace with an M38 unit.

Front yoke leaks only when I use 4WD. New yoke and seal waiting for install.

Air filter leaked. Some solder fixed the pin holes.

The front seam on the radiator weeped. Propane torch and solder fixed that.

With all that, I now barely get a drop on the pavement. Which is welcomed after some of the puddles she previously left. I have actually pressure washed and scrubbed the street in front of the house so it didn't look so bad.

Micah  
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 5:45pm
Mine always sits on cardboard. It drips enough that I change the cardboard every month or so. I'm sure it needs a new rear main seal, but I want to drive it and oil is cheap...
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 6:14pm
My used engine I installed leaks at he rear main enough that I am planning on making a drip pan and attach it to the jeep until I get the broken crank replaced in the engine that I took out. I like to take it to yard sales and I don't think people would like oil spots on their nice clean driveways.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 7:15pm
jpet used to carry a box of kitty litter with him to put under his jeep when he parked. 
Then he discovered Pig Mat which he now uses to make jeep diapers. Ties them on with zip ties. 
It works great if  you have the leaks in the right spots for diapers.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 8:02pm
As long as it doesn't leak "A Appreciable Amount" you are fine. I found good yokes and double lip seals stops most of the leaks, but drain plug threads, shim pack on the rear of the transfercase, and the rope rear main seal with mickey mouse rubber side tubes all will seep and drip in time. My name isn't Oilleaker for nothing you know!   Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 1:37am
I get a Christmas card from the Pennzoil Corp every year.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 1:16am
An old cowboy went driving out one dark and windy day
Upon a ridge he crested as he went along his way
When all at once a mighty herd of do'r-die jeeps he saw
Plowing through the ragged skies and up a cloudy draw

Their valves were still on fire and their gears were made of steel
Their tires were black and shiny and their hot pipes he could feel
A bolt of fear went through him as they thundered through the sky
For he saw the drivers coming hard and he heard their mournful cries

Yippie I oh oh oh
Yippie I aye ye ye
Oil drips in.. my eye!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 1:29am
Dang you Mr. Johnson! I just spewed beer out my nose..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 10:49am
Love it!Tongue
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply