Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SO PITA 842 Painting a vehicle with a full beard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SO PITA 842 Painting a vehicle with a full beard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SO PITA 842 Painting a vehicle with a full beard
    Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 11:47pm
So I been looking into what it will take to safely paint Chug beings that I happen to have a full beard (and have so with few exceptions since 1975) And unless I am willing to fork out close to $1000.00 for a complete head covering setup with a fresh air supply its not going to happen.

Granted the paint I am using does not have the real nasty isocyanates in it but I would still worry about the exposure.

So as much as I hate the idea I guess I will be scaring the heck out of the grand daughter a couple of times over the next couple months as I figure the only way to do this on the cheap is to shave right before I hit the booth and then grow it back inbetween steps.

Man this bugs me LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 12:13am
Having done carpentry for years and finding out that I am allergic to Redwood, Cedar and Cherry and having a full beard, a 3M rubber mask worked well as long as you cinch it up well. Those paper masks don't really work well even if you are clean shaven.
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 12:36am
big diff between wood particles and paint fumes.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

big diff between wood particles and paint fumes.

Depends on the mask you get and what filters/canisters you use. I would use the canisters meant for insecticides. Or, you could ask the place where you are getting the paint from and see what they recommend.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 18 Nov. 2017 at 12:48am
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 1:00am
The problem is a mask will not seal properly with a full beard.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

The problem is a mask will not seal properly with a full beard.

A rubber mask cinched up tight does a good job. Certainly better than them paper things.
uncamonkey
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 3:06am
I worked in power generation for a number of years and the company was adamant about being clean shaven. If we showed up after a long break and came in to work with a five o’clock shadow we had the option of going home, shaving with our own gear or dry shave with a disposable razor.  We had to do fit test with our masks every year and you would not pass with an ill fitting mask. It isn’t the big chunks that get you. It’s the fine stuff that easily gets by the beard, poorly fitting, cheap dust masks.  Your lungs, your choice. I know too many people pulling oxygen bottles that wish they had taken more precautions years ago.
RWILLYS (Space R)
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Rick R Rick R wrote:

I worked in power generation for a number of years and the company was adamant about being clean shaven. If we showed up after a long break and came in to work with a five o’clock shadow we had the option of going home, shaving with our own gear or dry shave with a disposable razor.  We had to do fit test with our masks every year and you would not pass with an ill fitting mask. It isn’t the big chunks that get you. It’s the fine stuff that easily gets by the beard, poorly fitting, cheap dust masks.  Your lungs, your choice. I know too many people pulling oxygen bottles that wish they had taken more precautions years ago.

X2

I was a contractor at a local refinery and if you weren't clean shaven, you didn't get through the contractor's gate. Mustaches were OK as long as they didn't go down the cheek too far.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 18 Nov. 2017 at 3:20am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 3:26am
yea I have looking at this for more then a year now off and on and I see no way around shaving to seal a $30-50 mask with the right cartridges or nearly $1000 for something that is basically a suit with air pumped into it.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 3:56am
It'll grow back...maybe a little grayer, but it'll grow back.

Tell me something...can you shave with one of them knives you make? Do they have that kind of an edge? Just curious...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 4:18am
So, getting back to the original post.....was a full beard an option on 2As?
RWILLYS (Space R)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 4:59am
I'm just playing with you guys a bit. I wear hearing protection and a mask when I go out to do yard work. A friend went to Australia to work on an oil job. He had to shave his beard off so the Scott air pack would keep him alive in the event of a problem. Same air pack he had to carry when he worked on Johnston Atoll where they were burning off nerve gas from WWII. I regret not taking better care of my body.
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 5:59am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

It'll grow back...maybe a little grayer, but it'll grow back.

Tell me something...can you shave with one of them knives you make? Do they have that kind of an edge? Just curious...

Short answer yes you can shave hair including old beard hair with one of my knives when properly sharpened. But it would have to be one of the knives I made before 1997 because I quit making knives in late 96. Haven't made a knife since then.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 6:02am
One paint job with a Full mask with positive pressure and lots of ventilation, yep your sure to die with whiskers!  Scott packs do seal with some whiskers, (though not advised in a high heat situation.)  if they leak a bit the air pushes out. But to each his own. 
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Rick R Rick R wrote:

I, too, worked in power plants for over two decades.  Same exact policy for our company.  That level of committement gets into your head after a while.  Found myself wearing all that PPE when I was doing work here at the house.  I don’t risk my eyes, ears, skin, or appendages any more.  Yes, I even wore a respirator when I painted my jeep.  I didn’t shave, however.  I painted it outside in my driveway in the breeze...lol. Probably didn’t even need a respirator, but I did wear it.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply