Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solex carburetor issues on '46

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solex carburetor issues on '46
    Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:41pm
   I am attaching the link which came up during my Advanced Search for Solex carburetor issues. And I am hoping these threads may be helpful for another individual who is also trying to learn about the Solex carburetor.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20180423133622&KW=Solex+problems

The history is this:   My '46 which I purchased in Dec. 2017 does have a Solex carburetor with no markings on it. (I think it is Aftermarket).
   I have been diligently searching the net for information of where to get a rebuild kit because the accelerator lever was not depressing the pump diaphragm to squirt a charge of gas, nor would it idle, but die.
   This carb has the weirdest choke with no butterfly, but some rotating disc affair with a hole in it which must restrict some sort of air passage.

Personally, I think I like Carter YO design better, and have had very good luck with the Carters on other older vehicles besides CJ2A's.
   I am learning as I go about the "differences" in these early jeeps now that I have one to rejuvenate from the pasture.

Did the original fuel pump which fed the Solex only have 1.5 lbs pressure ?

And are these low-pressure fuel pumps available today, or do we need to purchase a pressure-regulator ?

The information in the threads which popped up in my search was most helpful and it appears that many Solex owners are very happy with them.

Is there a good link giving Solex adjustment settings ?
   I haven't done a web-search for Solex rebuild and tuning instructions.

Where I am currently, is that I did find a rebuild kit for the Solex on the website for "cjjeepparts.com" and it appears that these Solex carb kits are made in China by OMIX. I don't recall finding a U.S. made kit.
   Standard may make a kit in the USA, but I am not that far in my search.
I think Standard brand is sold through Napa stores, and I haven't checked the Napa parts list which recently popped up.

I really don't like how this Solex style carb mounts, but if i can get it to work smoothly, then i will run it once i get the gremlins shook out of it.
Currently, the engine won't idle and the accelerator pump diaphragm was petrified. Nor have I driven the jeep yet with the Carb issues not solved.

Quadratec and Walck's both had the Omix carb kit for Solex also.
I am hoping i can purchase it from Napa locally, but had no luck when i called-in on the phone, so i will have to take the carb into the store.

The threads i found in my search convinced me that the Solex may be worth trying to dial-in, and may help another individual wrestling with the Solex.

My father would sometimes take a carburetor over the the Anvil and speak to it with the 8-lb splitting maul. He would do this after the 4-th attempt at a rebuild, and then smash it. Today, we need the old carb intact as a Core.

I have not really had good luck buying rebuilt carbs in the past, so i am hoping to nurse my Solex back to good operating condition.

Len

Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:04pm
Len,

Try G503 for another carb. or carb parts. Ron is located just up the road a ways from you in Central Point, Oregon

He does/did have Joe Motor Pool carter carbs not to long ago. Don't know if he still has them or not.

or

I have had good luck with Ron and excellent service,

Frank
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 4:02pm
I too bought my CJ2A back in December 2017.  It had a brand new Solex on it.  It ran ok, but not great.  Last month I called Scout Pilot and ordered a completely restored, correct Carter WO for it.  I installed it a couple weeks ago.  The difference was dramatic. It runs SO much better than it did with the Solex. Starts right up, no hesitation, smooth, even power.  To me it it was worth every penny. You might want to consider doing the same thing and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Steve 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 4:22pm
I have a Solex on my '47. I rebuilt it with the Omix kit. I doubt any US made kit would be any different than the foreign made kit, India I believe. It was a very complete kit with decent parts. Very simple to rebuild.
I re-jetted it for elevation from parts obtained at a local VW store. They are commonly used on VW bugs.
I do not have a pressure regulator.
Runs absolutely fine. I have zero issues with it. I regularly get my Jeep up to 50 MPH. I can get it to idle extremely low. To the point that I sometimes cannot tell it is running when I come to a light.
Many times, rebuild fail because they are not fully cleaned. All orifices need to be clean.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 4:25pm

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 4:26pm

47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 4:29pm
I couldn't agree more with ndnchf, My 47' had a solex when I bought it. Ran fair, I installed the recommended regulator, not much change. I could adjust the solex and get it to run pretty good then the next time I drove the jeep it would be running rough again. I bought a carter on ebay just for the core, thinking I would have it rebuilt. I installed it, with no adjustments at all the jeep ran great. I think carter has to be the way to go.       
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 7:21pm
Greaser007 said:" My '46 which I purchased in Dec. 2017 does have a Solex carburetor with no markings on it. (I think it is Aftermarket)."

All Solex carburetors on jeeps are aftermarket. All flat-fender jeeps left the factory with Carter carburetors. As for where Solex carbs are made, I can't say for sure, but I am pretty sure that the design is foreign (Italian?) Yes they are a little strange to those of us accustomed to American carburetors. They also have a different recommended starting procedure from what we are accustomed to.
  Some have had good luck with the Solex, but the general consensus is that the stock Carter mechanical fuel pump creates more pressure than the Solex likes, so a regulator is needed. There are those who have been running a Solex with good results, with no regulator, however. Others have had endless problems and have converted back to a Carter.
  I'm not the "Jeep Police", but I have nothing to fear from them. I guess you could say I'm about 95% Purist. The Carter works very well for me, so I'll stick with them, and those who have good luck with the Solex can have them. In fact, I just bought an engine with a Solex on it, and I'll probably offer it for sale.  BW

Edited by Bruce W - 23 Apr. 2018 at 7:23pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 5:20am
I mentioned on the other post about my Solex.  When I first put it on, my 2A ran great and I didn't need a pressure regulator.  It worked very well for years and then it didn't.  The Jeep was peppier with the Solex 17 or 18 years ago than it is now with the Carter back on.  I wish I knew why...  Wacko
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 5:38am
One thing I forgot to mention on my rebuild was some casting clean up that I did in the venturi. The casting is not very well done an there is a lot of flashing remaining in the venturi, especially in the support section that holds the main jet. With a series of small files I went in and ground them down. I don't know what if any it helped but I figured anything I could do to improve air flow and mixture could not hurt.

Micah

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I mentioned on the other post about my Solex.  When I first put it on, my 2A ran great and I didn't need a pressure regulator.  It worked very well for years and then it didn't.  The Jeep was peppier with the Solex 17 or 18 years ago than it is now with the Carter back on.  I wish I knew why...  Wacko

I am sure it has nothing to do with the 17 or 18 years. It must be the carburetor!Wink You should get another Solex.Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 2:32am
Well, it has been 17 or 18 years but not all that many miles.  Only 10,000 or so.  I don't think it's the carburetor, I think the Jeep just hates me.  Smile
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Well, it has been 17 or 18 years but not all that many miles.  Only 10,000 or so.  I don't think it's the carburetor, I think the Jeep just hates me.  Smile

Big smile And how many of those miles are on the end of a rope? LOL Wink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 3:48am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Big smile And how many of those miles are on the end of a rope? LOL Wink

Well, let's see... how far was it from the trail to the TDR?  I didn't really need the rope for all of it.  The downhill miles could have been done without it.  LOL  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply