Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solution to transmiision noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solution to transmiision noise
    Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:52pm
Back on April 05, I posted that my '46 CJ2A had a noise coming from the transmission/transfer case at idle.  Athhawk suggested it might be the shift forks. It was, when I pulled the shift tower I found a lot of wear to the shift forks. Also found that the shift forks had been welded to the shift rails. While I had it opened, I opened the inspection cover on the bell housing. The throw out bearing looked good and saw no other problems. I replaced the shift tower, filled the transmission and transfer case with GL1 and adjusted the clutch cable. Problem solved, no more noise plus the transmission doesn't jump out of second gear any more. P.S. It is necessary to fill the transfer case and transmission with oil separately. One does not fill the other. Fred
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:28pm
Two fill holes, fill both desperately.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:33pm
2x
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 7:36pm
Good to read that your noise problem is solved.  

A severely worn shift fork will not push the sychro assembly far enough forward, and is another reason a Willys might pop out of 2nd gear.  Replacing it is the easiest resolution to that particular issue.  Many of us are not lucky enough to solve that problem by replacing the shift fork. Unhappy

Very early drive trains did not share gear oil between the transmission and the transfer case.  Later versions do share, but I agree with the others. Filling both is the best way to assure they both have oil. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:54pm
Transfer case 1st because if they are sharing fluids the filler plug on it is lower than the transmission. Then do the transmission. You will slightly over fill the TC if they share fluids but you know it is going to leak out anyway.
uncamonkey
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

but you know it is going to leak out anyway.

You mean mark its territory!   
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:28am
Always clean if you keep it full.
 Post Reply Post Reply