Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare & jerry can rack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:32pm
Stan I'm all over this thread and will be fabbing one up for Annie's 3A project, thanks!! Rick
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 3:08am
Thank you Stan for the git-'er-done inspiration, and Jeff for the design idea, for my detachable gas can and spare tire carrier to be used on the 60" wide four wheeler trail during the 2017 BHR. Here it is in the raw:

I basically copied Stan's rack but moved the vertical legs closer together and raised the top rectangle a bit higher so the spare tire clears the Signal Stat brake/tail lights I've added to the Agrijeep.  Because my left vertical leg is closer to the center of the jeep than Stan's, I added a piece of angle iron to support the gas can bracket mounting plate. The feet for the two legs is the same angle iron cut 6" long to more than cover two adjacent 3/4" diameter holes in the draw bar.  I'll add two matching pieces of angle iron underneath the draw bar to give the 3/8" foot bolts a lower attachment point.  Short vertical pieces of angle iron on back of the top outside ends attach with 5/16" bolts to the tail gate brackets and keep the top of the rack steadied.  Here it is with the gas can and spare tire installed:

Now it looks like the MB the Agrijeep evolved from.  Tonight I got it primered and tomorrow I'll paint it.  It's great to be thin again.  LOL    
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 3:43am
Nice Fred!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 3:57am
Good job Fred!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 4:16am
Awesome Fred!
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 7:54am
Looking good Fred.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 2:35am
I have a bracket that bolts to the frame and allows the Tire and Can rack to fold down for access to the bed.  I will have at BHR

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

I have a bracket that bolts to the frame and allows the Tire and Can rack to fold down for access to the bed.  I will have at BHR

Fltfndr

Can you post a pic?
Avis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 2:58pm
Looks great! Ended up doing the same type of thing for mine before Moab earlier this year. Used a big piece of angle and just bolted it on. 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 5:36pm
Fred, you're going to need a side cushion for your passengers to lean against, now that the spare has been moved to the back. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 10:05pm
Nice work Stan,looks really good and strong.    

Giles
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Fred, you're going to need a side cushion for your passengers to lean against, now that the spare has been moved to the back. 

Yeah, now Keith's gonna hafta sit in the seat. LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 3:25am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Yeah, now Keith's gonna hafta sit in the seat. LOL   BW

Hi Mike and Bruce:

Yes, the Agri-Lounger has been temporarily disabled due to narrow ATV trails up yonder in South Deekotah, but it may reappear in time for the 2017 FCT.  I'll just have to keep everyone is suspense until then. But rest assured, my friends, Keith will be accommodated to the standard to which he has become accustomed during past FCTs.  Smile
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 3:58am
Perhaps we will have a little competition on who had the best idea, I'm not posting a photo of mine as I'm waiting for patent approval

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 4:38am
Damm If I knew there was a competition. I would have put more thought into mine.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 6:20am
With my terrible welding I would never win any contest unless it's the one for the best design most poorly executed.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 3:06am
Well, here's the rear spare tire and gas can rack all gussied up for the BHR that begins in a few days:

Initially the rack was painted semi-gloss black, but it was way too shiny when placed on the jeep.  So it was resprayed it with flat black enamel to better match the lusterless olive drab paint, and now it looks much more at ease. The two hex head bolts that attached the top of the rack to the tail gate brackets have been replaced by eye bolts to provide a place to insert the tail gate chain hooks on each side.

The center rear view mirror was moved to the top left corner of the inner windshield to provide a view around the raised spare tire. When I look in it now I see myself in the mirror, but I hope some adjustments on the road will make it work better. The Argijeep is now ready to rock 'n roll on the 60" wide ATV trails. Smile
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Avis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 3:12am
That turned out awesome. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>