Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare & jerry can rack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 8:05pm
I have pictures of the bracket I used that attaches to two vertical center mount bolts on the drawbar which allows the tire mount to swing down for access to top and tailgate.  I can't figure out how to upload to the page but if you will send me your email address, I will send them direct to you.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Stan,

Your is sort of the prototype.  The welds you did look like they held up great (paint too) - on the trail and in the rollover accident.  I like the carriage bolt idea and using the existing holes in the draw bar.  I would guess you might be able to salvage the can holder based on you newly acquired body man skills.  The tire mount looks like it might be to a bigger challenge.

PS - How did you double thickness skid plate hold up now that you have had a chance to get out on the trail with it?

Stev,
I did, in fact, fix the can holder and used it on the Rubicon Trail. The spare tire mount I replaced.
If you look at this video of the trail damage I got from the Rubicon trail,  towards the end you can see the damage done to the double layer skid plate. Also in the middle I swing the camera by the tire/can rack and you can see the straighten out can holder.  Nothing I do ever looks finished because I'm a hack, but it's all functional. 

If  you look at this page of my build thread, the 4th picture down, you can see how I straighten out the damaged plates and then added my original one to make a 3 layer plate. I also bolted them together this time, as you had suggested before, but I didn't do. We'll see how they hold up in the coming year.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 9:36pm
Here's the pictures that Fltfndr mentioned of his swing down rack.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 10:55pm
Stan, My double thickness skid plate is bolted together in all of the other holes in the skid plates using carriage bolts.  That way the two plates work as a single system.  I added a thread about my spring mount skid plates / sliders - might be something for  you to consider.  You could also makes something similar for the transmission cross member.

The tire rack on the rear is a great improvement if you are running with a draw bar.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2017 at 10:57pm
It looks a lot like the old Dr. Vern system. When I bought the 3B there was 2 tabs welded to the bumper. One tab had just hole in it and the other was slotted. No other parts to it. There must have been a lot of people back then who did the same thing. A PO welded up a tire/gas can carrier that bolted to the rear of the fenders. I was in a hurry to get on a trip so after the body work I just bolted the old piece of garbage welds back on. Still on this thing, still works.
uncamonkey
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 1:17pm
Wow - some great ideas here, in fact just what I was thinking about, my new-to-me CJ2A had a tire carrier mounted directly to the tailgate. They had a reenforcing plate behind it, but it still seemed to heavy. So I was wondering about a better way. What you guys have done is awesome. After I get some other issues sorted out, I'd like to build something similar. 

This forum is great, I'm so glad you fellas are so willing to share your knowledge and experience with newbies like me.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 10:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 11:01pm
Mine pivots on 2 1/1c bolts and is secured with the 5/8" hitch pins

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 11:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 11:08pm
That was 1/2" bolts and I've found it works well. Little has e but that's the bigger tire. Thinking if moving tire mount to the right so I can add the Jerry can bracket. May try one on each side of tire if the don't block lights.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2017 at 4:27am
Looks useful but the drawbar hangs down so low.  That doesn't bother some folks, though, as we know.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2017 at 6:39am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2017 at 6:42am
that's the origins rear framework. I cut out the old hitch and welded in the receiver. Less protrusion I'm my eyes anyway.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 3:33am
Mount jerry can holders sideways maybe? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 5:26am
was thinking of that. Still tossing around ideas. Have 2 NATO style capacity that kinda bracket.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 5:27am
That was baton style cans

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 7:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 7:06pm
NATO style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>