Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sparky the Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 4:42am
Good eye Bob.Missed that one. That might be the problem.
willys jeep
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 1:48pm
Like Bob W. said - are these wires accidently shorting to the installed metal cap?
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 5:36pm
I have since replaced the wire off the negative side. I didn't like the look of it anyways.  I am now getting some firing, which is clearly better than nothing.  I will attack it again this afternoon.  I think I need to work the mixture a tiny bit and see.  I may be off a touch on the timing too for all I know.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 12:47am
Alright, new coils, spark is much better.  Did not solve the problem.  So I went back to timing...

I can already hear the response coming to the following question.  Be gentle on me.  Does the oil pump have to be timed a certain way?  I cannot get the thing to time within the limit the M38 distributor allows me to turn it. 

I am hoping the answer to my question is "Yes Justin, it of course won't work if the oil pump isn't timed right."  That is the only place in the whole system I can see where adjustment can be made.

Someone give me some good news.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 9:00pm
IT RUNS!!! After more than 10 years, Once I set the oil pump up correctly, put on my lucky hat and my Norwich ring.  First try, and I have it on video http://youtu.be/UnD_4LU2Qng.  I do have a massive oil leak from the filter cover, but that is fixable I am sure.

Edited by 52 M38 - 21 June 2013 at 11:59pm
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2013 at 1:15pm
Sparky is now idling nicely. I replaced the dash light sockets that were ready to add yet another fire to this jeeps history, there have been two since I have owned him.  The crank pulley was also bent badly which I couldn't see till the first start, that has been replaced with one of the heavy duty billet ones.  I have a small dead spot in the throttle.  I think I need to check on my accelerator pump.   I will be putting my Weber carb on in the next week or so and mothballing my Carter YS. 
http://youtu.be/zLMz8_Lo7Y0
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2013 at 2:58pm
M38's rock. Congrats on bringing it back from hibernation.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 10:46pm
Tie Rods are finally here.  It only took a week for them to be made once I finalized the length.  The steering box is in its final location.  I made a template bracket out of wood for the support bearing, to make sure everything had all the clearance space it needed before I have that bracket fabricated out of steel.  The tie rods are separated by several inches in both height and depth   The steering has all come together perfectly so far.  I will have the brackets made this week with any luck.  I have managed to put this system together so it is all bolt on.  I do have to drill two 7/16 holes through the frame, but I would much rather do that than weld the whole mess on there.  I have a "C" shaped shoe that carries the load of the box while reinforcing the frame, very similar to what Herm does with the Ford Box.  The third mounting point I am using is an original threaded point on the outside of the the frame. I have no idea what it was for, but since it is there I will use it.

Edited by 52 M38 - 02 July 2013 at 12:32am
John 46-2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 7:56am
Thanks for the E-mail, wasn't sleeping so this was perfect. Looks great I think the steering box really sets it off. Guess that means you'll be driving Sparky to Seattle.
  Really looks good.
        John

makers of fine silk purses........ from sow's ears...
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2013 at 2:31am
Put the Weber carb on today.  Holly power difference batman.  I did a 4 wheel burn out in the dirt next to the barn, and it didn't even open the second barrel at the point.  Don't be fooled, the Weber kit that says it will fit the willy's intake, it doesn't.  You can only mount it 90 degrees off, which is no good.  A fellow CJ2a forum member has a template for an adapter plate, I had one fabricated, works great.  It uses all of the original linkage, too easy.  I will post a photo in a couple of days.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 10:25pm
Took Sparky out for the first drive today.  It was glorious.  I was smiling the whole 2 miles.  It had to be short as I have no plates for him yet.  I finished the steering set-up this morning.  The new steering box is unbelievable.  Big smile

I will post some good pictures in a couple of weeks once all the parts are painted.  The only change i had to do to mount the box was drill two 7/16"  holes through the front of the frame.  Easy to repair in the future if I decide to go back to original.  It probably cost $150 dollars more to mount the steering in the no weld non destructive manner.  If anyone has is looking to do the same I can certainly help.
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 11:01pm
This is great news.   Nice to hear Sparky is on the road again.  Congrats.

52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2013 at 12:34am
The money hemorrhage is at an end for this year, thankfully.  I can finally just enjoy for a few months.  Next stop is body work and the roll cage.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2013 at 1:04am
And here is my son the heir to Sparky the Jeep, who I spoke of in my first post, taking his first ride around the yard.  I am sure my son is going to be the only one around to have an M38 as his first vehicle.  I will keep Sparky well loved until he is old enough.

Edited by 52 M38 - 25 July 2013 at 2:06am
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2013 at 2:25am
Sparky is now fully insured and I picked up my plates today.  Took my first legal drive.  I have been making clandestine test dashes around, but it was nice to not to worry about John Law waiting for me around the next corner.  I will go for my inspection sticker early next week with the sacrificial 30 rack to ensure proper success.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2013 at 12:09am
Here Sparky is; as he should be. Free at last.  I have not decided if this will be my last posting about Sparky.  Sparky has helped me heal after the passing of my father about a year ago.  It isn't just Sparky that is now free.  And in true fashion, here are me and Sparky riding off into the sunset, with my father's sweatshirt next to me.

Edited by 52 M38 - 16 Aug. 2013 at 1:21am
Rick L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2013 at 1:29am
The road goes ever on.  And so should Sparky's story.
1952 M38
John 46-2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2013 at 4:52am
congates... I am about four years behind you.
makers of fine silk purses........ from sow's ears...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>