Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sparky the Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2014 at 10:57pm
Looks great!
1952 m38
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 8:53pm
Very nice.  It looks extra 'mean' with the nice sized tires.  I really like the look.  The kids look like they're having fun too.  Those are some big smiles.
I'm curious...The triangular top bow brackets are installed upside down.  In your early photos, they are installed correctly.  Did you spin them around for a reason?

Edited by athawk11 - 09 Sep. 2014 at 3:36am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 9:54pm
To be honest I didn't even notice.  I was probably in some assembly induced trance at the end of days putting things together and just lined up what would fit without even a second thought.  I also found that I had to redrill a couple of holes I couldn't remember the use of when all of the extra holes were welded up.  What are all the very small evenly spaced holes along the horizontal lip of the tub.  They looked original so I left them.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2014 at 12:49am
Whilst talking with my wife tonight as she finished putting back out curtains because she repainted again...(that's a story for another time) she reminded me about my fathers attention to detail as he hung the curtain rods when we first moved into our house.  He first made the comment and many times over the years, because of the lace curtains in our bedroom, that we were "Lace Curtain Irish."  I never looked it up, but he told me the Irish immigrants knew they had "made it"  because they would be able to afford lace curtains.  My father meant it as a compliment in that we had done well in life.  My father was unapologetically direct with his opinions, so I found it very entertaining when I finally looked up "Lace Curtain Irish" tonight.   I miss Dad, he always had something brilliant to add. 

**Disclaimer this is slightly crude**
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lace%20curtain
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lace-Curtain+Irish
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2014 at 10:32pm
Supersonic head is on the engine.  I need to finish up the bits and pieces and fire it back up tomorrow. 
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2014 at 1:50am
Fired it up with the supersonic tonight.  I also have a correct M38 exhaust now, minus the muffler which is on back order.  The old Billy-Bob exhaust that was on it was clearly not doing the flow any favors.  I let it heat up and tomorrow I have to re-torque.  I will throw the fenders and grill back on in the morning.  The supersonic definitely sounds mean with no muffler.  I even got the wobble out of my water pump pulley.  It just required a little love tap with the plastic dead-blow mallet to true it up.  I plan to bundle up and venture out until the roads are salted. 
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2014 at 4:18am
Very Nice!!!
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2014 at 4:30pm
Something very strange has happened.  I drive the jeep, roam all over, and when I park it there are no leaks.  I thought that there must be some law of nature that would prevent a clean floor under my jeep, but it has finally been achieved, if only for a short time.

Edited by 52 M38 - 16 Nov. 2014 at 4:39pm
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2014 at 6:55pm
Check the fluid levels it might emptyLOL

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2014 at 7:50pm
Had a great morning of offroading.  Love'n the Supersonic.

zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2014 at 3:42am
Lookin' good.  Does the Supersonic have the larger carb?  Mine has the normal replacement stock L134 intake and carb instead of the proper Supersonic carb and intake.
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2014 at 12:00pm
That does look very good.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2015 at 6:15pm
I try to start Sparky weekly, but given the fact that it won't stop snowing in New England I have been negligent in my duties.  I fired him up this morning in single digit temps.  It took some doing, a bit of break clean and a hairdrier.  The gear oil in the trans was soo cold I could not even shift.  I plan to go out cruising on the roads after we get another foot of snow tonight. 
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2015 at 8:59pm
Cool! make a video if you can?
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 1:54am
Part of my weekly Willys exercise.  It keeps both me and Sparky from needing winter maintenance. 

Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 5:26am
Well at least the sun is out for a little while!! Looked like fun!!
724wd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 724wd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 5:05am
You've done a heck of a job on your rig!  A seemingly fitting tribute to your father.  I see you've done the two hole knuckle and disc brake swap.  I have planned the same mods and gathered the knuckle, caliper brackets, and rotors.  Did you follow the directions off fourwheeler.com? 

I also like your choice of tire size.  how bad was the rub at stock height?

Heath
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2015 at 1:54am
To continue the tinkering I have bought a 67 CJ5 drivetrain 225 V6, T86, and D18.  I plan to mess with them over the next year or so and figure out a few things.  I am on the lookout for a T15 transmission.  I intend to run the engine at 24 volts just to add to the challenge.  I am fairly confident that I can run the 12v starter at 24v, as others have similarly done with a 6v starter at 12v.  The coil issue I believe I have solved.  I will be using a slightly modified military coil.   

I have the valve covers off the engine and all looks well.  The oil in the pan is not bad, and does not appear to have any contaminants. 

Edited by 52 M38 - 15 Mar. 2015 at 11:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>