Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedway tire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

...Wow, lots of words there. Not sure what they say though, and I used to actually speak Chinese a few decades ago.
I hear ya. Joe Friday, what did he say!

Quote ...Wonder how the 750s would look/work on Grampa’s Jeep. Do you think my Go Devil could turn them? An extra inch or two might get me over the top lip of Potato Salad Hill without hanging on my belly.

I think you should consider them. These have the smaller lugs like a 600 or 700 so they would look more natural on Grandpa's jeep IMO:

... that pic was from JeeperJim

I think the smaller lugs would work better in Moab but the bigger lugs might be better in the Midwest. Also, notice that the pencil points come almost to center which I think would be a performance improvement, not only offroad but also on rain covered pavement. A softer compound is what I'm looking for.

Edited by jpet - 18 Jan. 2018 at 6:15pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by One2baja One2baja wrote:

....How much was the tire and what was the shipping?

https://www.performanceplustire.com/antique-tires/speedway-truck-or-military-tire/speedway-truck-or-military-bias-ply-tire/ty:Antique:ts:750-16/

One tire, cost $131.44, soup-to-nuts.

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 7:38pm
Deestone makes a D503 7.50-16 10ply tire for $113 free shipping may be too hard rubber for light jeeps. saw them on epay

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 3:51am
How many people are running the Coker tires in the NDT or knobbyand what's there opinion on them.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:29am
Aren’t all the new “Firestone” NDTs made by Coker? 

I got mine from Summit Racing, but I think they are the same ones everyone sells. I’m not positive of that though.

I think they are super cool and the right tire to run on a vintage jeep.

They are noisy, terrible on ice and rain and especially sand. They will get you through the Rubicon and hook up great on Moab slickrock, especially if you sipe them.

Don’t expect them to act or ride like a modern radial, but they will get you there and back.

Edited by smfulle - 19 Jan. 2018 at 5:09am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:43am
I will be replacing all four very soon. Would appreciate all opinions. I was considering Firestone:

Not sure what the difference is between the two other than the plys

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:47am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 5:07am
Stan,
I think you are correct.

Agree on the correct appearance. Not much price difference from the others. More recognized name. I think the noise might be music to me.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 3:49pm
... so, here's the deal:

Left, STA 700-16 (used) - Center, Speedways 750-16 (new)- Right STA 750-16 (used)

The STA tires are the Firestone version but made from the same company. As you can see, the STA tires have been heavilly used and have lost some on the original diameter.

The Speedways tire is only 30" tall at full inflation (not 31.8 as advertised) The Firestone STA 750-16 measures 32" tall.

STA 750-16 tread width is 6-1/2":

Speedways tread width is 5-1/2":

STA 700-16 is 5-3/4" wide:

Notice how much the sidewalls on the Speedways tire are ballooned out? This one is mounted on a 6" wide wheel. Speedways, calls for a 6" wide wheel for these tires but they are simply not wide enough IMO. They would be more suited for a 4" wide wheel. These tires are not as wide as my 700-16 tire and it took a strap to get the tire to seat on the beads.

Durometer: I do not have a tool for testing how hard or soft the rubber is, but I pushed on the rubber with a stylus and I can feel no difference between these tires and either of the STAs. Not scientific I know but if there is a difference, it is not obvious like it is comparing an STA tire and a swamper.

.... so as a 750-16, this tire will not work for me. I sent my findings to Speedways and asked them to send me the "true" sizes for their 900-16s. Who knows, maybe those are the 33" tires I've been looking for.

Edited by jpet - 26 Jan. 2018 at 5:15pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 5:07pm
Most all tires are undersize the stated diameter but that's  really ridiculous.
Apparently they can't afford  one or  don't know how to read a tape measure.
STA's are the best at stating the actual tire specs.

Yeah maybe their 9.50 size is code for 7.50 .....Ha Ha Ha !

Edited by oldtime - 26 Jan. 2018 at 5:09pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 6:30pm
...trying to get good information on 900-16s is very hard. The only place I can find in the US who carries them is Performance Plus. I asked them to go out in the warehouse and measure one, but they were not cooperative. I'm guessing my social disorder is kicking in .... .... anywho, this is there address:

Performance Plus
3910 Cherry Ave, Long Beach, CA 90807

... is there anyone following this thread who lives in that area and can go over there and measure one for me? If so, take some pics. I'm looking for overall diameter, width of the tread, and with of beads.

... I know this isn't the same as what they are inflated, but it is the best I have. The information could at least tell me if I want to pursue it.

Thanks!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 6:43pm
Jeff, have you tried Wallace Wade in Dallas?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 6:50pm
The building is just around the corner from where I work but they have been out of business for a while mow. I think Mr. Wallace has passed on.
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 6:52pm
... they are no longer in business
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 7:08pm
Ah, OK didn't know...thanks
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 7:30pm
It's a little frustrating. You would think it would be as simple as calling Performance Plus and have them lay a tape measure against a tire in their stock room ..... but no. I tried to get them to do it when I bought the 750-16 but they kept telling me, "the spec is on the web site"..... so I buy the tire in good faith and when I get it, it's almost 2" less in diameter...... So, once again, I call them and explain the situation as clearly as I can, and he says, "the spec is listed on the website". That's the best they can do

PP: "all the dimensions and specs are on the website"

jpet: "Yes, I know. That is what you told me the last time. I want you to actually measure one and give me the real dimensions."

PP: "There is a certain amount of variations and or tolerance allowed in the specs."

jpet: ".... yes, I know, That is why I would like you to go out and measure and actual tire and tell me what the dimensions are. I've already purchased one tire from you based on the printed spec."

PP: "Well the ware house is going to go by the same spec as what is on the web site."

jpet: " ........... .............."

...... and they are the only ones I can find in the US who have 900-16s in stock .... sitting right there .... waiting to be measured .... I just don't get it
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 8:56pm
For what most of you will use these tires for, the Speedways will likely meet your needs, and are a good value, but as Jeff requested, I will try to translate the comments. My comments are in BOLD

Originally posted by Speedways Speedways wrote:

Hey jeff you can go on line to www.speedwaystyres.com
to look at catalog 

i sold a bunch to texas buddies ( Yes, if you trust the internet, a quantity of tires was sold to a Texas Agricultural tire dealer that bought a mixed container, and then distributed them ) 

i sold militaries in guatamula ( Sold tires in Guatemala)

and venusian army ( Sold tires to Venezuelan Army)

mexico and chile 

the tire is a better made compound (to compound a tire properly, you need carbon black. To mix carbon Black and the oils, you need mixers such as Banbury's. Very big, very expensive, not visible in the Google Earth images of the plant these tires are made in. )

we just don’t chase the special tire part of it they are used off road around world (Specialty tires, or the Vintage Tire business, is focused on producing an 'exact' copy of a tires that came as original equipment on Vintage autos for high quality period correct restorations. The Coker Firestone may be a good example. It is made from a new mold that was produced from the ORIGINAL Firestone drawings, with all sidewall stamping details identical to the Firestone tires used at the Ford plants that made the GPW Jeep during World War II. It is not intended to be sold to Central American militaries for use today.

volume not big enough to dot change mounds for in usa since it’s tube type, (DOT = US department of Transportation - National Highway Transportation Safety Administration) so the molds do not have treadwear indicators and do not have to have high speed durability certification, or any plunger energy tests)

san marcos texas tire factory used to sell a lot (this is a tire dealer)

and i sold museums (sold to museums)

and vets in houston memorial (sold display tires to a Veterans Memorial)

they love them over the 120 sta tire which is probably more now (they love them more than the $120 STA tire, STA = Specialty Tires of America)

i see about picture they are rim and tire regulation size ! (He will try to get you a picture, they meet Tire and Rim Association industry dimension, which by the way are for 'grown' tire dimensions. Bias tires get larger after break-in, and off road versions are larger Overall diameter than 'Highway' tread designs of the same size due to deeper tread)

We have most advanced mixing facility and extruded in world and build 2 of them. ( I don't have enough information to comment other than I doubt it. Tire compounds are very different than shoe soles)

STA uses old dico plant went broke in 80’s. DICO was an Agricultural Tire manufacturer that was driven out of business by the dumping of offshore products in America. It is not uncommon for small niche tire companies to purchase the assets of other bankrupt businesses.

i been doing this 32 years

father founded tbc and (Maybe this TBC? In 1956, a purchasing group of tire retailers formed Cordovan Associates. The Company changed its name to Tire & Battery Corporation in 1972. Only eleven years later, after much success, Tire & Battery Corporation went public (NASDAQ: TBCC).

i built tire mound facility in 87 for hankook

father inlaw thought goodyear and michelin how to build mounds (I'm thinking that he may mean 'taught' them how to build  Molds? if so, this is a very misleading or downright false statement)

and i worked for director of worldwide racing in 80’s when we made high speed radials (Who is we? Speedways? Does that mean they no longer make high speed radials? I don't recall seeing any at F1 or Nascar Races lately.)

We have a more optimized cavity and it make tire handle better ( a tire 'cavity' is the shape or profile of the cross section. For steel belted radials, or some large fabric bias belted tires, the shape of the mold can be used to improved the tire footprint or contact patch. The contact patch can be modified for long wear, good traction, or durability. This doesn't apply to 2 ply Nylon bias belted tires (4 or 6 ply RATED) so he's not talking about the tires you are interested in. 

don’t think that old dico plant has the technology
He may be referring to the old McCreary plant in Indiana Pennsylvania operated as STA. They do not manufacture high speed/speed rated Performance passenger tires, but they do make the STA and Firestone/Coker products.

I ordered one for testing.[/QUOTE]
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 9:33pm
Thx Keith! I wondered how we here on earth were selling tires to the Venusians.  The delivery charge to Venus would be a deal-killer..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 9:43pm
Jeff - look more carefully at the Performance Plus Website...

Under features and benefits, 

"We bought a few sets of these tires and are passing the savings on to you!"

I think that is a typo. I think it was meant to say, " we got stuck with a bunch of these and want to Dump them on you!"

But seriously, they may have just dropped the coverplate that is stamped 7.50-16 into the wrong mold.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>