Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spen Trailer - Need Tongue Measurement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spen Trailer - Need Tongue Measurement
    Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 12:30pm
So I'm finally getting some work done on my Spen that we brought home from our stint in Alaska. Will be posting progress in a new thread to come.

But for now, next step it to fix up the damaged and modified tongue. First close look appears to me I should unbolt the rear, and mid-point mounts of the tongue U-Channel steel and completely replace it. It's 1/8" thickness, and a basic 2" by 3" U-channel steel, about 48" long (both sides). But I'm uncertain on the lengths. Would hate to buy two 48" lengths just to find out it is supposed to be 50" lengths. :)

A PO cut, welded onto, extended, and generally bent the original steel into a weird look (to gain tongue length and for militarization in the form of a coupler/landing leg - which I removed).

Would one of you Spen owners, who has an original Spen tongue, measure exactly how long (in inches and fractions) is the tongue u-channel metal?
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 5:15am
I'll be happy to get you some measurements - exactly what am I measuring? From beneath the coupler to the edge of the tub?

My Spen seems to be pretty original.
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/newbie-with-a-spen_topic33355.html
1946 CJ2A #75375
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 1:00pm
Thanks so much Batjac65. The measurement I need is the exact length of the tongue u-channels. They are mounted under the trailer back about 1/3 distance, all the way forward to their ends at the coupler. The critical measurement is just the channel itself.

After closer inspection of my own, I think youir're going to find 43.5" but it's also possible mine have been trimmed by a PO. Thanks!
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2016 at 8:51pm
Dave, that channel is cut at an angle at the coupler and is right about 44.75" at the long point. About 44" at the short point. Hope that gets you what you need.

Terry
1946 CJ2A #75375
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2016 at 8:52pm
Just saw this come in. Thanks so much!
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2016 at 12:29pm
I don't want to further extend this thread, but do want to clarify something, in the event somebody finds this in future and has questions.

While working this issue, my son-in-law discovered the separate channels are different lengths, by about an inch. I think this means the factory used a more manual method of cut and assemble, than a rigid cut jig or something. Details will be covered in the main thread when I get back onto it.

Post Reply Post Reply