Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spen Trailer - The "Shadow" Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2010 at 4:05am
Right side of trailer towards the front on the frame. If you sand down under the frame tag they painted it there too. Send an email and I'll send you three dif frame tags I have seen. The wheels used studs as shown in your picture. Still not sure if hub cap"Spen" was chrome or painted. Been in contact w/ a gent whose uncle owned Spen but he stopped emailing back, Bill
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2010 at 3:06am
Dang, Bill, it's been awhile!  Glad to see you're still on the page.   I've missed your input into the discussions.

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2010 at 3:08am
Every once in a while I get to this. I hope to next year be back.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2010 at 1:33am
Does anyone know where  I can find tires with a tread like this for less than $100 a piece?:

They are 600-16
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2010 at 4:13am
That looks great Jeff, you even have the hubcaps, mine are missing :( 
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2010 at 2:37pm
Jeff I assume you mean new, I have a pair that is used and a little hard...
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2010 at 2:45pm
Yes. New. I want something that looks some what period correct.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2010 at 4:35pm
Jeff,
here's a couple sites that have something close to what you're looking for;

The price is a bit more, but these ought to last a long time.  And of course there's always these:
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 1:12am
I would have thought that you could get them as cheap as NDTs  but I guess not.

I think these are the original tires:

I always thought that "S3" meant that they were NDTs.  I guess not:

I wonder what "S3" means
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 3:12pm
S3 is the same marking as on the military tire... I bet the G guys know what it means, or maybe WIllys Motors knows.....

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 3:15pm
Well the S3 in a military staff is the Operations Section, so maybe this designates it as an operational tire. Wacko Pinch LOL
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 3:37pm
Jeff, check into trailer tires specifically. (think commercial outlets) I always put bias ply trailer tires on my jeep hauler against most everybody wanting me to put radials on it.

Most trailer tires have a similar tread pattern but are constructed without 'turning' or 'scrub' issues in mind......mainly just load haulers, so to speak.

You may not get the same brand but I'll bet you can find something close. I like a tire like that on my boat trailer too although I regrettably went with radials this last time....(I don't like the 'squirm')
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 5:06pm
Well, I have been looking for "trailer tires" but I have not had much luck.  Maybe I'm using the wrong search words.  I don't need original, I just want that sort of tread if possible.  My wheels are 16"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 8:31pm
http://www.millertire.com/tire_truck.htm
I do not know how current this page is.......but looks like better prices than the $100/per tire I have been seeing.

Specialty tires of america, Coker, and Milller are the main players in the bias market from what I can tell.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 8:42pm
Wow Bill that's a good find.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 7:24pm
This thread has now become my project thread
Removed the floor:

Sandblasted:

I have to say that I thoroughly examined Shadow and she has no evidence of ever having any tag:

There are no rivet holes anywhere in the frame or tub.  She did however reveal to me one of her secrets:

Buried underneath about 6 layers of paint is a logo:

I'll CAD it out and post a drawing.  If I'm not mistaken, this is a new discovery on Spen trailers.  I've never read about this logo on the tailgate before.

You can see in the photos that a PO has welded some angle iron to her tongue to hold a box of some sort and also welded angle iron brackets to the back for the tail lights.  I see no evidence of an original tail light mount or license plate mount.  Of all the pictures I have seen of these trailers, I have not seen two trailers that have matching tail lights, tail light brackets, or license plate brackets.  I honestly believe that when Shadow was new, she did not have tags or tail lights.  I don't see a tail light on this one either ... at least not on the passenger side:

Edit:  maybe there was one on the drivers side.  Is that trailer socket wiring on the tongue?

Shadow was originally a dark blue color that has a hint of green.  I pealed down six layers of paint till I got down to the first color and it was a dark blue.  The wheels also had several layers of paint but the original color was black.  The funny thing is, When I took the tires off the wheels, I saw that the inside of the wheels had some of blue body color paint on them over the underlying black paint.  It was just on the inside of the wheel and none was on the outside.  The paint on the inside of the wheel was well protected and i was able to get it analysed for what I consider to be an exact match:

That's where I'm at.  I'll try to get the floor welded in next week.  One thing about these Spens, the floor is just a flat piece of 16 gauge.Big smile

Edited by jpet - 13 May 2011 at 7:55pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:00pm
Alright Jeff!
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this thing!
It looks to be in really good shape after the sand blasting.

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:31pm
Assume Find Jeff!

I'd be curious to know what is the original color for the hub caps and lettering too.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>