Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48-17Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Issue
    Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 1:43am
hello everyone

I have a question that I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a CJ2A that I inherited from my dad that has always started just fine. Recently it just won’t fire up. It turns over great but just won’t fire. I have replaced the spark plugs and wires by still no luck. I’m not really sure where else to start. Sorry I’m new to this. Any help would be appreciated. 
Thanks 
Cory
Cory
2017 Willys JKU
1948 CJ-2A #208783
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 2:09am
Lots of things about this posted. Condenser being the most mentioned. A lot of things to check like clean connections in the wiring. Nice looking dog but I am partial to Labs and Border Collies.
uncamonkey
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 11:37am
As stated, condenser is common. It’s also been very damp in our area. I have had issues with moisture in the distributor cap in damp weather. Normally in warmer weather though. 

To be honest it could be a lot of things. I would check for a good hot spark at the points. You can pull the cap off and watch the points with a helper turning it over or open and close the points with a screwdriver with the key on to check. Weak or no spark here will point you in one direction and good spark will lead you in the other direction. 

Would be best to post this in the tech help area to get more feedback. 

Mike
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 4:27pm
Besides the obvious Sling Blade quote of "It aint got no gas in it," you can also pull the intake off the carb, open the choke butterfly and look down the carb throat while pushing the throttle open to see if the accelerator pump is spraying fuel. I like to use a spark plug checker to check for spark. Much handier than the screwdriver in the spark plug boot method. While you can see the top of the carb, you can also make sure the choke is closing when you pull the choke knob. No choky, No starty. Let us know what you find!
Dean
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 1:02pm
Safety Sally says don't do this but pour a little petrol down the carb.  If it fires or sounds like it wants to, spark is probably still ok, chase the fuel/carb issue, if not chase the spark issue.
How long has time pass since "recently"?  If used and it sits around, ethanol gas is horrible.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 4:24am
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Safety Sally says don't do this but pour a little petrol down the carb.

Safety Sally doesn't come around my house.  I do that all the time.  Is that why she never visits any more?  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 4:45am
Nothing personal here but, do you really know how to start an old jeep, or any other old vehicle? Have you started it before, or only watched your Dad start it? What procedure are you using? Are you using the choke? Are you giving the gas pedal a pump or two? Are you cranking on it long enough to give it a chance to start?
  The reason I ask, we had a young fellow a few years back who could not get his jeep to start. The thread went on for several pages. Turns out, he thought that he should just push-and-release the button and it should start right up, just like his Nissan, or Honda, or whatever. It don't work that way.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 5:41am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Safety Sally says don't do this but pour a little petrol down
the carb.

Safety Sally doesn't come around my house.  I do that all the time.  Is that why she never visits any more?  LOL

I had to laugh but Sally Safety won't come back because the last time you did the gas down the carb bit you blew her into the next county. I have started many vehicles that way.
uncamonkey
48-17Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48-17Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2019 at 2:42am
I have started it many many times. Usually takes a choke and a couple pumps of the gas pedal and 10-15 seconds of turning over and then would fire up! 
I’ve been traveling for work a lot past couple weeks and when I get some time I’m going spend some time and go through everything.
Cory
2017 Willys JKU
1948 CJ-2A #208783
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 2:47am
Yep,
   First thing I would try is to pour a cap-full of petrol down the carb with throttle closed and crank her over to see if she'll Pop !

If not, carefully clean the points contacts with emery cloth and then clean paper pulling through very gently. Clean white 20-lb bond paper, and holding open slightly with a screwdriver so not to tear the bond paper.
or use a cotton swab wit acetone holding points open til dry.

The old distributors all have a vent hole to air, and humid moist air will corrode the point contacts. I must clean most all points-ignition contacts if a vehicle has sat for 2 or more years.

Could be the pump may not be picking up the fuel yet.
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 12:23pm
You need three things to start and run, fuel, spark and compression. Do a little diagnosing before replacing parts. Using a spark tester check for spark at the plug end of the wire. No spark, diagnose the ignition system. Remove the air cleaner and check for fuel when pumping the accelerator. No fuel, diagnose the fuel system. If both of those check out, remove the plugs and run a compression check. No, or weak compression, diagnose that issue. If you have compression, fuel and ignition you need to confirm that the ignition and compression are happening at the correct time. Go through setting the timing flow charts to confirm all is correct. Good luck
Glen
49 CJ3A
hazelann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazelann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2020 at 4:15am
The wirings must not be well connected pay it a little visit. 
1rawbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1rawbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2021 at 12:58am
Need help!  
Opened my carb to adjust idle. Each time for better.  Third time now and will only idle with choke on and smoking really bad. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2021 at 7:00pm
You will get a lot more responses if you ask about this on the Technical forum where folks look for questions like this.

Will need more information before meaningful help is probable.

Not sure what you mean by "Opened my carb to adjust idle" because there is no reason to open anything to adjust idle.

"will only idle with choke on and smoking really bad"

Sounds like your "adjustment" has messed up the fuel/air mixture, but I don't know exactly what you adjusted because you don't have to open anything to adjust mixture. 

Is the color of the smoke blue or black?

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2021 at 7:26pm
Did you by any chance while changing the spark plugs and wires get the wires crossed up and on the wrong cylinders?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply