Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wheel Puller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel Puller
    Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 4:52pm
Anybody have a good recommendation for steering wheel puller for a 2A?
Dave
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 6:10pm
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 10:04pm

i made one from a 3"X3" oak post. Cheap but worked great. Cut (3) pieces about 12" long, drill a set '

of holes in two blocks about 9" apart so that you can run some 1/4" threaded rods thru them like a clamp. with these boltes together drill three holes between the two clamped blocks. the center hole will

be just alittle bigger then the steering column tube and the other two with be for another set of thread

rods with will past thru the third block which is your pulling block.  You will what to keep the steering nut

on so that you don't damage the threads and you may have to get a new nut have you do this because you will flatten the top of the nut when doing this.
If you need to see some photo's pm me. 
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
RA472A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA472A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 9:13pm
I bought a cheap bearing seperater at Harbor Freight and mounted it under the hub of the steering wheel, then used a regular puller hooked to that and slowly tightened the puller until it popped free.  Important to block the horn button and LEAVE THE NUT ON to prevent damage.  I may have a photo somewhere.
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 6:50pm
From The Good Dog build thread...

Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

My goal today is to get the steering box out of the jeep. I had a heck of a time with the steering wheel removal. I've been soaking it with kroil for about 3 days and today I used this $30 puller I picked up from HF.

This puller did the trick. I highly recommend it. 

So now, it's back out to the Jeep Cave. I'm going to load some more wood in the stove and see about getting that steering box out. 

Wish me luck! 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 8:19pm
Good luck, indeed! And thanks for ths tip on the HF puller.
Rick Estes
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 12:54am
Kroil is what you need! I don't know what's in this stuff, but it works. Thanks for the tip. I had trouble getting the last little bit of my steering wheel off the splines on my later column, Nut attached.. I had to get a rod, cut to length, and put down the hollow shaft.   Column was detached from the gear box. It pulled off like butter...   I was thinking of getting a HF tool like this to adjust the steering wheel position after a rebuild.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 3:45am
I must've got a bad batch of Kroil.  It's never worked for me.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply