Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel vibration at idle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel vibration at idle
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 1:09pm
The steering wheel on my 48 vibrates quite a bit at idle -- much more vibration than anywhere else on the vehicle.
I can't feel the vibration on the steering column from the floor to the dash mount, but the column from the dash mount to the wheel, along with the wheel, vibrates quite a bit.
I changed out the dampener around the column at the dash mount with material that should have absorbed more than the heavy woven material that was there, but it didn't change anything.
The steering wheel is a repro but I don't that that would matter.
When I look at parts illustration I can't see anything on the list that looks like it would be some type of dampening bushing that may be missing.
Any ideas?
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
Late 1940s(?) Spen trailer
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 4:35pm
Check the upper steering column bearing at the top the tube. May need replacing.
willys jeep
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 4:43pm
It may be harmonic... if there is nothing to be done to smooth your idle, try ticking the idle speed up or down slightly

(try rev'ing the engine slightly and see if the wheel vibe gets better)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 6:16pm
Thanks. I will check both of your suggestions.
The engine actually idles very smooth, just the steering wheel, and the steering shaft from the dash mount to the wheel, vibrates. It's annoying and I just can't seem to figure out why.
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 8:15pm
Is there a break in the tube that you don't know about. I found that my steering tube had a hairline crack in it partially covered up by the dash bracket; however, mine didn't vibrate.

Make sure the clamp at the bottom of the column just above the steering gearbox is tight.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 8:47pm
Are your engine mounts good? Is any part of the frame, or body touching the engine or gear boxes? They should not.

Is your steering box tight to the frame?

Are your body mount rubbers in good shape?
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 9:41pm
The body mount rubbers are good since I replaced them all about a year ago. I can't see anyplace where the engine or gear boxes are touching the body. The steering box appears tight but I'll give it a good shake when I get off work tonight.
I'm not sure how to determine if the engine mounts are bad. Is there a simple way to check them?
There isn't an unacceptable amount of vibration anywhere other than the steering wheel.

1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 4:41am
To check the engine mounts, you will need a helper. They will stand beside the Jeep. NEVER allow them to be in front of the Jeep while conducting this test!

Set the park brake. (I also chock the tires fore & aft). With the transmission in first, run the engine just above idle & ease the clutch out, not all the way, just enough to strain the engine. One engine mount will be compressed, while the other one will be under tension. Look for the one under tension to separate. If it does, it is bad. To test the other one, use reverse.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 1:03pm
Capt., I'll round up a volunteer and run that test this weekend.
Thanks
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
 Post Reply Post Reply