Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmpasley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 11:41pm
Hi Gang, You have been a great help so far. Still struggling with the steering on my 1948 CJ2A. I am the guy who tightened the pitman arm in the wrong position and locked the wheels turned to the left. Fixed that and rebuilt the steering box. Unfortunately, wheels are still locked. disconnected steering knuckle arms and found that the driver's side front wheel is locked in positon. I am learning as I go. Sorry for all the stupid questions. Any ideas as to what has the wheel locked? I am clueless. I would take it to get it fixed, but it is in my garage and I can't get a tow truck to it to haul it to the local mechanic. Need to get the wheel unlocked so I can push it out.   
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 12:09am
Chances are the constant velocity joint in the steering knuckle is broken or jammed. This would require disassembly of the knuckle to determine what is broken and what it is going to take to get it fixed.

If you are not comfortable with the repairs, then perhaps a competent jeep mechanic could perform the repair in your garage. Barring that circumstance, what could be done is tear down the locked up side and remove the axle shaft. Then reinstall the spindle and hub and drum assembly. Hang on to all the parts you remove so that the mechanic can see what failed and get the correct parts ordered. With the axle shaft out of the way, the jeep should roll out the door. Just make sure that the wheel bearings are adjusted properly and the jeep can even be driven in 2 wheel drive only.

Hope this helps...good luck...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 5:17am
The only stupid question is the one you do not ask. It is really stupid if not asking it causes major damage.

BTW, I concur with SE Kansas 46.
 Post Reply Post Reply