Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sticker shock..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 12:46pm
I wouldn't have a clue what I have in my good jeep, I saved most of the receipts but I was getting parts jeeps and selling parts to fund the build and the whole build was spread out over 13 years. I like to think that I don't really have much in it , so I don't even try to keep track.
The farm jeep build has been different, I've kept track of what I spend on it and it's not really bad at all. I got way less in it than a used 4x4 four-wheeler now, but I still got alot I want to do to make it usable around the farm.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Jerseyhawg Jerseyhawg wrote:

So far I am just doing nickel and dime things to start off.

Glenn

That's exactly how this disease starts.
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 1:52pm
I also thought I was doing nickel and dime stuff. I was keeping track of all of my expenses so one day I stupidly decided to total it up. Man that was a lot of nickels and dimes. At least 2-3x what I thought I had spent. Even the little things add up quick. I've since stopped keeping track of what I spend.    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 2:01pm
I just recently added it up to justify an increase in my classic car insurance.  I had planned on moving it from $8,000 coverage to $10,000. After adding it all up, I went to $14,000 and that's a little shy.  I was a little surprised how quick it goes.  I too started with just 'little' stuff.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 2:39pm
Years ago I worked in a Jeep shop rebuilding stuff until I had in enough hours and then I got what I wanted. I have no idea how much I had in that MB.
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 3:00pm
Nothing good ever comes from these exercises... I've kept every receipt for documentation of part numbers, yada yada, but do a fair amount of CL and swap meet stuff which is paperless and untraceable Wink... I have no intention of adding it up, because I don't see any scenario where I'd be trying to recoup any of it, lol...

I HAVE, however, come to a cross roads recently where it's become pretty obvious that I'll have to sell something to buy something, lol... debits and credits LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 3:40pm
As with firearms and a number of my other Hobby like things (not that a Jeep I first sat in as a 5 year old is a hobby more a member of my family) I tend to buy what I want not what comes close. This is why the investment or what ever the opposite of an investment is a lot of guys talk about when they speak of their Willys or Jeeps. There is no situation I can for see that I would be selling CHUG. In fact I can't imagine one where my son or daughter would ever sell CHUG so how much money is in it has no bearing on anything. Only that it cost that much to end up with the final version of CHUG that I want.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 5:45pm
The sticker shock on parts is one thing- just imagine if you ACTUALLY kept track of your labor hours and/or free help from your buddies? That would be scary. They add up quickly even if wanted to pay yourself minimal wage. Shocked
Told my wife you can get a lot done with a case of beer, couple home cooked meals or baked goods. Clap
1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 6:16pm
I paid $5500 for mine back in 2004 and while it was a lot more than I had to spend, my wife wouldn’t let me pass it up. The originality, solid structure, and included add-ons make it a steal today.
I’ve spent a lot in 14 years sourcing NOS or take-off parts along the way.
My guess is maybe around $15,000 all in. Not done yet!
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 7:30pm
  Most of the money I ever had, I spent on beer and jeeps. The rest, I just wasted.  Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Most of the money I ever had, I spent on beer and jeeps. The rest, I just wasted.  Wink  BW

Good One B-Dubya!!LOLLOLLOL
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

When I think of all the money I COULD HAVE spent on jeeps I get melancholy CryLOL 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 8:31pm
I quit counting after my first parts order came in from Walck's and I realized how much more was left to do to even get roadworthy. I do know it has to be somewhere north of 10K...well maybe 12K.

I do know that it has been a labor of love...couldn't have afforded it any other way.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 9:07pm
Honestly, I'm a little shocked at some of the numbers people are posting here.  I can't even get to $5 grand.  And it's not like I bought a show jeep to begin with.  I paid $1,500.00 for it back in 2010.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Honestly, I'm a little shocked at some of the numbers people are posting here.  I can't even get to $5 grand.  And it's not like I bought a show jeep to begin with.  I paid $1,500.00 for it back in 2010.

Based on my very informal survey, you got lucky.  

I started at $4,600 with very little rust issues, not butchered and no wreck damage.  I know I could have saved a lot buy not upgrading the brakes/master/replacing all lines ($1200), not doing the roll bar and seat belts ($1,000), not rebuilding the engine that started acting strange ($2,000), not replacing to old hard and scary in the rain NDT's by putting on new radial tires ($900), not replacing the wood/sheet metal top (the PO had installed which caused things to be top heavy and noisy) with a complete soft top ($1,000), not replacing the radiator core that was leaking like a hot tub ($500), not rebuilding/restoring the carb, starter, distributor (Pertronics), water and fuel pumps($800) or rebuilding the generator as a Gen-Nator ($900) and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.  But for me, those were given items if I didn't want to have other problems or safety issues. And I definately did not want to get a call from the wife saying come get me when she was in the mountains and I'm back home and pop miles away.
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 9:42pm
It matters what you begin with...to a point. Even if you buy a running, driving jeep, stuff wears out on a 70 year old jeep. A set of 5 new tires (with tubes) will run you $750. Replacing worn out springs is $400+, new brake cylinders, master cylinders, shoes, hoses etc. is $200+, a T90 rebuild kit is $300+. Steering? Sector shaft, king pin bearings, seals, tie rod ends will run $200+. If I bought a basket case that was sitting in a field for a decade, I would expect to spend a lot on parts. But it costs just as much to replace a worn part as it does a missing or rusted part. And it's harder to spot the worn vs a missing part when you buy it. (Chalk that up to a learning experience I guess Wink) Luckily I didn't spend a lot on my initial purchase and I don't plan on building a show queen. But even the safety stuff adds up. 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by markcl52 markcl52 wrote:

It matters what you begin with...

It also matters where you're going Wink
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 11:04pm
when you get into gears, lockers/tera lows/overdrives., and when you have to pay to have the stuff installed because you still remember taking your 3 speed bike apart as a kid, it is expensive. Your jeep can still look like ,,, but it is a bucket for money. Gee, may have to increase my insurance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>