Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sticker shock..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 7:09pm
    Sticker-Shock !!   _ _ en-how !
    Egads the parts add-up, but, how safe do you want to feel. And, for heavens sake, when I add up the dollar-totals spent on my numerous projects it will put a guy near-to Cardiac Arrest.   _ _ right !
    But, at least the pocket book is not overly heavy and a burden.

Just the cost to freshen-up an engine is mind boggling today. When I looked at the cost of an Engine rebuild Kit for the L134 at $1299.99 I about collapsed. Compare that to a small-block chevy engine kit at $350.00.

The good thing about these Willy's is that they are basic and fairly easy for us guys and gals to work on and with mostly normal shop tools.
    The One-item I have never owned is a "bearing-separator" which I just pay the local machine shop to perform for me. ( can probably buy a cheapie at Harbor Frieght for $15.00 ).

I look at it this way, if I buy initially for $2,000 and then let the refurb progress as money allows, the refurb may be completed in 10-years.
Oh crap !

I would venture to say that unless your Willys is a GPW it may be difficult to sell a sweet 2A for over $12,000. I guess there are buyers out there with money, but the younger generation will pay $20,000 for a used TJ with A/C.

Yikes, I went into Sticker-Shock yesterday. A friend of mine asked me if I knew how much I have invested in a "95 Honda Passport" project refurb.
Geesh, I added up the near-total with "in-brain-estimating" and writing down what I could best remember. $3,000.   ( I have not transferred title yet after 8-years and still need to get a California Smog certification ).
And, the Kelley blue book high-value is only $1,500 for a '95 Passport.
( it has A/C ) hahaha   _ _ and I hope to drive it some day.
I see i'm headed into another Sticker-Shock syndrome. with big Visions.

Yes, we love our Money-Pits and anticipate each move forward. The real value we get from these little tractors is that they are worth the value over a long-term span of time, and once restored, they really do need to be parked inside a garage out of the elements to preserve the Value.

So, ol'unreliable, you have a T-98 that you have not yet installed ?
   Is there a component that you are waiting for, like an adapter ?
   just curious _ _ _
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

.... She said that he had $85,000 invested (?!) in it, not including the original purchase price new. Shocked    BW

Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

....  Yikes, I went into Sticker-Shock yesterday. A friend of mine asked me if I knew how much I have invested in a "95 Honda Passport" project refurb....

I hope that people who invest in almost any kind of automotive repair don't expect to earn a living as a financial advisor.  Playing slot machines is probably a better investment.  On average you get back about 50 cents on the dollar from slots!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 11:34am
Kinda crazy these old vehicles...

My last one I had over $3500 invested in it...got $1750 for it...so 50% is my norm these days....If I was not so cheap and count every penny I would just shrug it off...drives me crazy for sure...still trying to figure out something to keep me busy that I wont lose 50% on it...

Glad to hear other folks on here feel the same way...my wife just shakes her head as the projects come and go...

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 10 Jan. 2019 at 4:16pm
I am the squirrel....
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 1:25pm
I got my 1950 3A close to 15 years ago now. Since it is "modified" I have kept every receipt for everything I have ever done to it so I can look back and see what parts I used for what since I sure can't remember everything. I haven't added up to see how much money I have invested in it for a very long time now. Last time I did it was around $8,000. I know good and well I have put another $3,000 in it... Probably more. Every so often I think I should add it up again but I honestly don't think I would benefit from knowing. I don't ever plan on selling it so I'm not worried about a return on my investment.

All of this rambling I guess just to say I don't think it matters how much we put into these old Jeeps as long as we enjoy what we're doing. Heck, I met my wife of almost 12 years through this hobby. We have 2 great kids and hopefully have many more years of Jeepin to go.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

I met my wife of almost 12 years through this hobby...

I honestly thought you were going to say "and I have no idea how much money I've spent on her either" LOL

I've been married going on 29 years, was driving jeeps when I started dating her 5 years previous to that, and what I've spent on jeeps is a pitance Embarrassed

Edited by mbullism - 10 Jan. 2019 at 2:22pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Most of the money I ever had, I spent on beer and jeeps. The rest, I just wasted.  Wink  BW

"Willys, Whiskey and Wimmen" Sounds like a good honky-tonk song don't it?
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 2:52pm
She honestly costs a lot less than my Jeeps!
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 4:11pm
I intentionally did not do this... haha. I would be scared to find out the total. One thing I did do was record the price I paid for my jeep and subtracted all the money I made from selling all the extra parts that came with my jeep. I ended up getting a pretty good deal. I paid $2100 for my jeep and a trailer load of spare parts. Once I sold everything I didnt need I was down to $ 500 out of pocket for the jeep. Once I did the diesel swap and finished restoring everything.....new tires....etc. it did ad up. 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 5:45pm
I think I paid about as much to take my family to Disney World as I have invested in my Jeep and I barely remember anything about it except standing in a lot of lines. What do I have to show for that? A few pictures and a $50 polo shirt with a mouse on it. A lot of people think that is worth it or I wouldn’t have had to stand in all those lines. Me, it’s only worth it cuz my family seems to like it.

Even when I’m not riding in my Jeep, it still makes me smile every time I see it sitting there in the garage because it’s 2000 lbs of memorable fun that has already happened, but even better, it’s potential fun that is going to happen.

Disney world is hours of misery broken up by minutes long segments of fun thrills and semi-interesting food. Riding in my Jeep is hours of fun and thrills broken up by interesting and enjoyable chats with friends new and old, while I eat some trail mix, jerky and a really nice gas station sandwich.

Are these guys right here not having a “priceless” amount of fun?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 5:55pm
Are these guys right here not having a “priceless” amount of fun?

[/QUOTE]

That's a rough crowd you keep.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 6:23pm
I have $4700 in mine, including the $600 purchase price which I was lucky to run into. Worth every penny. The big $ saver for me was painting it myself. I guess I'm fortunate to have a shop where I can make big messes, and a compressor and tools. The Willys is a bargain. Years and years of fun for minimum outlay. I have a couple old tractors and a '63 Nova, but nothing compares to the fun of the Willys. Now I just need to get to one of those events as pictured above. Looks like a blast.
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 12:39am
Ok, I'm 38 years with the missus, and 37 of those she's expressed significant concern over my hobbies. So, I jumped into the CJ world with a solid  48 cJ2a in 2017 for about 4k, and now am into a total of around 9-10k in remanufactured motor and parts. hope to have it back on the road in the spring, and will likely have a big ol' grin on driving it. The missus got cruises, jewelry, vacations, and my enviable good looks! yeah right. didn't matter. But I'm gonna be drIving a Willys, sons and grandsons in the tub with me, and I suspect that's gonna be some fun. Worth every penny. JUST SAYIN'
JR
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 1:08am
Its a disease for sure. Sometimes I think about the money I've put in to gears alone and wondered about my sanity. Figured out early that driving off road is like a drug. It takes total concentration that makes other worries and concerns drop away for a while. I too know I will never get half of what I have spent (or even that much) back on my "investments" but it could be worse... could be a real junkie. My current fear is the Willys Wagon I have sitting under my carport needs tires, gears, etc.....
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 1:11am
I suppose I have been lucky. If you don't count things like tires, hard tops etc. I'm into 2 jeeps, both with winches, v6s for less than $4,000. I won't count the hours of body work.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 2:39am
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

So, ol'unreliable, you have a T-98 that you have not yet installed ?
   Is there a component that you are waiting for, like an adapter ?
   just curious _ _ _

More than anything, I need a can of gumption.  Embarrassed  Know where I can find any?  LOL

The tranny came with the bell housing and an output gear.  I may need to change out the Xfer case though.  I have an OD for it; I just need to jump into the project.  That's where the gumption would help...  Smile

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 11 Jan. 2019 at 2:42am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 3:12am
Ol' Unreliable - Ha don't we ever need More-Gumption !
if lots of gumption, then there is the $$$ hurdle often.

As a "teaser" while thinking back on the best improvement i did on my '77 CJ-7 over the 36-years i have owned it, it was the T-18 Novak conversion !
_ _ _ and the granny gear is super-user-friendly on Clutches too.

My wife is constantly reminding me of the cost of supporting a refurb hobby, but i remind her the hobby is good clean fun, and good comradery too.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 6:36pm
I'm another who would just as soon not know what I've invested in my flatty.  I probably do have all the receipts for most of the pieces purchased over close to 50 years but how do you actually add that up to a current investment?  A lot of stuff has been changed out several times and it continually evolves.

It is my only real "hobby".  I have absolutely no interest in seeing contrived amusement parks of any sort.  My amusement is mountains.  With or without Jeeps.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Tsip 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tsip 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 7:46pm
Thanks for sharing the gorgeous picture of the mountains!
I live in Ohio far away from this size mountains!
I love them!...
A friend in the market is better than money in the purse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234