Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stock horn?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stock horn?
    Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 6:22pm
Can someone advise as to wether this horn is a Willy"s horn or an add-on after thought? I saw a post regarding horns some where on the forum, but cannot find it now. The post was quite informative regarding various horns and where they should be mounted. the horn in the pic below was on my 47-2a when I get her. It was mounted on the drivers, inside fender. There are four holes in the fender, however, 2 bolts fastening system on the horn. Thank you!

Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 7:02pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 10:10pm
Yes! Thank you. However, my horn isn't on that thread. SOOOOOO, I should assume that my horn is from Bubba? not stock?
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 11:17pm
Total bubba.
Deep six it. Post a want ad in the “wanted to buy” section when you decide which particular horn you want someone here will take care of you.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 11:21pm
Although that horn is not original to your 2A, it has a very cool 'look' to it.  I would be happy to have that under my hood.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 11:23pm
thanx fella's. I will search for a fender mount that is correct.
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 12:15am
That horn looks a lot like a LOUD electric "air" horn I got from JC Whitless years ago.  Have you tested it to see if it has a sound?

The shock mount at the other end of the bracket appears similar to the standard mount for a stock horn.  Perhaps a PO had rigged up a dual horn. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 12:33am
I think I will give it a try, Rus. Do you know if I can I test it on a twelve volt battery? or do I need to wait another week til I get my 6 volt battery?
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 12:53am
Originally posted by GloucesterBoy GloucesterBoy wrote:

I think I will give it a try, Rus. Do you know if I can I test it on a twelve volt battery? or do I need to wait another week til I get my 6 volt battery?

Don't bother Jerry, send it to me (i'll cover postage of course) and i'll test it free of charge in my rig as I'm tooling down the road..

I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 7:09pm
Twelve volts will not hurt it as long as you do not "test" it too long. It will be LOUD though, if it works.

I will throw in another offer to test it for you in my rig if you want.

Whatever you do, do not throw it out! Even if it does not work, it is just too cool looking to toss. It will make a great "wall hanger" for someone.

Do not give up on it if it does not work. Most of them can be repaired.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by GloucesterBoy GloucesterBoy wrote:

As logger states, it won't hurt.  Don't lay on the horn just momentarily connect to the leads with a jumper wire.  IF it's 6V, it may jump a little if its laying on the fender - it'll be louder than it should be.  I was loaned an old 6V horn once and used it on my 12V converted 3B for a while until I got the JCW horn.  If after a week you are able to test it on the 6V you'll be able to compare.

Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Don't bother Jerry, send it to me (i'll cover postage of course) and i'll test it free of charge in my rig as I'm tooling down the road.. 

This is the kind of selfless help I can relate to.

Added:  This is what my JCW horn looked like as I started to disassemble it to figure out what was rattling inside.  I'll attempt a rebuild after I finish the stock horn rebuild.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 08 Jan. 2019 at 9:58pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 10:52pm
Thank you, all!! You guys are great.  
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 9:09pm
I have an original 6v horn that didn't work. I used a 12 volt jump box and touched the leads a few times to "test" it. this freed somthing up and now it works great on 6v.

Steve 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
 Post Reply Post Reply