Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stripped head bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stripped head bolt
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 8:30pm
I pulled the front, center(#10 on page 50 of the manual) head bolt out when putting my motor back in the other day. The bolt is fine, the block is not taking the bolt back in. The bolt slides in and out, all the way in!. No thread damage on the bolt. Appears thread are pulled out of block.

Please tell me that I don't have to remove the head, drip and helicoil. Any advise would be appreciated.

Is there an option without removing the head?

Does this bolt come in contact with the water jacket?

Thank you,
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 9:06pm
You would need to check if a heli coil tap is long  enough to reach through the head to cut the threads needed  to set the insert then you could use a magnetic probe to clean out the debris  and the helicoil insert stem. All providing it is free of the water jacket as sealing a helicoil can be a problem.

This is why studs are generally used for head bolts.less wear a d tear on the threads.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 1:31pm
Thank you Mark. I am so PO'd right now. I just put her back together and now have this issue. Is there a cut out view of the water jacket, to your knowledge?

I'm afraid that if I decide to remove the head to repair it correctly, that another stud/bolt will snap. Then I'm F'd.

Sorry for the language, just can't get a break.

If I remove the head; is the process just remove the bolts/studs, pull the head, repair the bad threads, apply a new head gasket and torque the head back down? Is the thermostat housing attached to the head, itself? I do not remember this bolts being long.

Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 4:36pm
Thermostat housing will come with the head no problem. I honestly don't know if the front studs pass into the water jacket. Best I could do is make a guess. And I would guess yes it does. If you look at a photo of the top of the block its pretty clear the bolts along the front of the engine would go into the water jacket.

As the guys have told me here in the past Fix it once and do it right. If pulling the head shows other studs that have crappy threads etc. better to find that out now then on the trail.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 5:01pm
Agreed. I will remove the head and do it right. just needed to hear it from someone. Thanks again.
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 5:02pm
a job half done is a job undone!
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2019 at 1:32am
this was my first stripped block issue. I removed he head, cleaned all surfaces, drilled the block, tapped the new threads and inserted the new hell coil. All went well. Went to the second and final stripped block threads and had an issue. I realized the new coil insert had chased every other thread in the newly tapped blockOuch. Yes, the coil chased every other grove making he coil thread extra course and unable to accept the new stud. 

I walked away for a day. Today I was able to remove the damaged new coil and run the tap through again in preparation for another attempt. The second coil went in as prescribed. I set the remaining 14 studs, put the new copper gasket on and torqued down the head.

I put on the accessory parts, and purchased a battery tonight. tomorrow I plan to add fluids and give her a crank. I  have been anticipating this moment for 7 years. 

Just wanted to follow up my thread regarding stripped bock threads.

Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2019 at 1:06am
 Thanks for the update. I was wondering how the repair went.

I am glad that you-all persevered & have been successful.

Let us know how the first start up goes.

TIA, (Thanks In Advance), Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply