Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stupid human tricks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stupid human tricks
    Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:47am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf9yw_h5SFo

There is a reason I have a winch.
uncamonkey
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 2:01pm
WOW sometimes you need to stop and rethink things.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 2:52pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:15pm
About 30 seconds into the video I thought to myself "This ain't gonna end well."
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
Late 1940s(?) Spen trailer
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:20pm
That should buff right out (right?)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Unfortunately "stupid" doesn't buff out... it has to be beaten out- 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:12pm
Drrrrf
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:27am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Unfortunately "stupid" doesn't buff out... it has to be beaten out- 

Sometimes it needs to be welded back on...

I've seen that one before as a 'standard' video. The driver was testy and inexperienced. It brought this one to mind.

"Pull harder" isn't always the answer either. This guy would have benefited from some serious shovel action and a better pull angle:

Edited by LesBerg - 16 May 2017 at 1:33am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 4:16am
Yep, I've seen that one before.
We were out at the Great Sand Dunes in the South part of CO. My brother was driving so I ran out with the winch cable to get a Scout of the sand.
I told him to hook it up himself. We pulled the front bumper off. Better attachment place after that, we got him out.
I've winched on many vehicles and have always got them out. It's the old line for tow truck drivers, once the line is on you do what I tell you to do.
They should have just called in a tow truck in the video.
uncamonkey
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 12:39pm
Was a nice truck. Should have kept it as a tow vehicle though.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 3:56pm
I drive construction dump truck and we go in some pretty bad places. Especially dump sites in the winter when hauling dirt. You can end up with over foot deep ruts. You have to know the limits or they come along with a Huge Cat 988 front end loader or a D-7+ sized cat and pull you out. I've gotten very very good at never being pulled out.

The key is what dad taught me as a kid. Go anywhere you like in 2nd gear low range. But when you first get stuck put the hubs in shove it in 4 low and BACK THE HELL OUT. cause he wasn't coming up in the woods to get us out.

With the Dump truck you back into the dump site until the front drive axle tires start to spin then you dump your load while the box is up you put in everything else you have (my truck locks all 4 sets of duals) and you pull out.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 6:52pm
My instructions to my customers of my driveline shop in regards to locking hubs was to lock the hubs in when you left the pavement. Then if you happen to need four wheel drive you only need to hit the cab control to be in four wheel drive. Most versions of hub locks depend on a pair of gears engaging one another and if those gears butt instead of engaging, then damage is very likely to occur when power is applied to the axle.

Most of the damage to hub locks that I repaired was from situations where someone didn't put the hub locks in before they got stuck and then tried to engage them.

Quite a few customers of mine operated feed trucks; four wheel drive pickup trucks with cube feeders on a flat bed with a bale spear on the rear. Most of the time the operators would be attempting to feed cattle in muddy conditions in very cold weather. The combinations of mud and cold weather can be very hard on hub locks and the likelihood of have water enter the hub and freeze is very common. If the hub locks aren't engaged before becoming frozen, there is virtually no chance of engaging them after you get stuck. If you would somehow manage to get only one hub lock engaged, guess where all the power to that axle is going to go?

When a feed truck was only going to be used in a very limited area such as one pasture, I suggested replacing the hub locks with a drive flange or gear puck and hub cap, depending on the design of the axle hub. This made the operation more reliable and trouble free in inclement weather and only caused minimal wear on the front axle components.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply