Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3-C Need direction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3-C Need direction
    Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 1:08am
Just found a T3-C #9273, Arizona, surface rust, no rust through anywhere, licensed, good street tires (if you're a Buick) but original wheels.  Seems to be in remarkable shape although it has been used.  Dents are light to none depending on the panel, floor - slight bowing but otherwise straight.  Here's my problem. I'm pulling with a highly modified XJ.  Used to do the rough stuff but now my wife and I want get back into Jeep camping.  I'm tempted to just do it right and restore this thing but I don't do parades.  I'll use this thing.  So, do I restore it original or do I Emron to match, and bedliner the thing.  Almost a crime if these things are that collectible.

I've never posted before so having trouble figuring out how to drop in some photos.  I'll go ahead and try posting this and see what happens.  

HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 1:44am
My opinion would be to restore it or preserve it. You got Bantam for a reason. They are very unique and look and operate the best as they were designed 75 years ago.

But.. I've seen some modernized Bantams specifically redesigned to do the modern camping thing and they are pretty cool too, just not as cool as an original.

Bottom line is its your trailer to do want you want. Its still a Bantam and still interesting and cool either way. Just my opinion.

Good luck and post some pics. WE love pics!
-Dave
Dave
44 Willys MB
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 3:31am
It's called use it but don't abuse it.
Put a water tank under it and a shell on top of it.
How mine looks today from a distance.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 3:36am

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 3:53am
Look real close down the passenger side of the Jeep...there's the fender of the Bantam going over the Red Lake/Coyote lake trail in Central Calif. They go in the rocks and follow right along behind you.

BIG JOHN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG JOHN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 12:04pm
My personal opinion...Sell it someone that will restore it and not abuse it. Find yourself a m-416 trailer and modify it for off-road camping. I've owned both and the m-416 is much heavier duty then the Bantam. Extend the tongue about 25-27" and you will go anywhere with it! The Fulton hitch on the Bantam isn't built for extreme trails! Again, just my opinion. Good luck
BIG JOHN
1947 CJ-2A
1946 Bantam T3C trailer
2015 Chevy Silverado Z71 CC
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2004 Jeep LJ
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 1:03pm
Only a suggestion, but you could fix it up without doing a full restoration. Skip the bed liner, its hard to go back if you sell it or you do decide to do a full resto later. Go ahead and paint it however you like, if you are going to use it I wouldn't worry about the small dents. From your description it sounds like its a nice trailer and doesn't need much work though. The two things I'm guessing you want to change most is the springs and wheels, I don't see a problem with that, it should be a bolt in swap. The biggest point I'm trying to make is, whatever you decide to do, try not to do things that are going to be hard to reverse. Any original parts you decide to upgrade, save them and make sure to label them so they don't get thrown out later, they may be nice to have.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Lee D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 3:26pm
Wow, great suggestions, I'll try to respond here in order.  Hope that's the right way to do it.  Still learning.  

I bought my first Bantam going on 30 years ago, an M100 someone had butchered a tailgate onto and replaced the tongue with one hinged at the axel so it would dump.  Not pretty but, man that thing worked great.  Did a little homework and love for the round fenders was born.  Retired and moved, liquidating lots of stuff so did without for a while.  Next up was an M416, original but for ball coupler conversion which I liked a lot.  I've lost more than a few brain cells with pintles knocking them loose many many years ago.  Not for everyone but like I said, the rough stuff's behind me now.

All of your comments are well taken and have helped push me off the fence.  Out of well deserved respect for Bantam's contribution to the war effort and carrying on into the post war civilian market and with this one as straight as it is I was pretty much leaning towards keeping it original and so that's what I will do.  I will forgo the bed liner and settle for paint.  Scuff and shoot the exterior with some of the Imron left over from doing the Jeep.  If the next owner decides to do a full restoration they won't have to undo anything I've done.  Meanwhile I'll enjoy the luxury of a tail gate (I'm old) and this thing already handles like a dream.  Hard to improve on stock wheels and springs other than having to carry two spares.  No rea$onable way I see to match the XJ.

So, if someone has a slick bolt-on install for suspending a spare under the front of the bed I'd like to hear about it.  A water tank's a great idea but the spare's more important to me and keeping bed space open for whatever I happen to be doing that day.

Still not seeing how to drop photos into this discussion so will again leave that for later.  Thank you all for your help thinking this through.  

Lee
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 3:29pm
Lee D:  I'm agreeing with every body here on their opinions.  If this trailer you just got looks that good to begin with you should preserve it and do as little mods as you can.  These trailers are going up in price and who knows maybe you can resell it later for a great price.  

I did mine with a full restoration.  Didn't hold back.  My only mods were the hitch, the chains and the rubber block I added to the landing leg.  I'm using M416 chains so that it would be long enough to reach the Jeep but I still have the original chains for my Bantam.  Easy to go back to them.  I did that so that I wouldn't have to modify the original chains.

Good luck with your project/restoration.  And see if you can post some pictures of the trailer.  We love pictures!

Here are some pics of my trailer before and after restoration.

Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Lee D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 4:14pm
I think we're all on the same page when it comes to preserving the trailer.  I probably won't go to the extent you did but I'll try hard to not screw it up for the next guy.

Nice restoration, the color reminds me of why I got the M416 that I essentially traded for my T3-C.  Wildland fire, a half hour from the station means by the time I'm back with a brush truck or tender things are likely out of control.  Tone the others out to bring the real stuff and meanwhile as first responder do what you can with what you have.  With the Bantam it will be a lot easier.  I'll build a slide-in tank, pump, red line, a few tools.  Safety being foremost, well within weight limits, if the wind's down and I can get in close enough right after the lightning touches it off it's a non-event.  I know, I know, been to enough refreshers to know this is not according to Hoyle but you do what you got to do.

Still figuring out how to do photos.  FAQ's suggests admin has to enable this so I'll go bark up that tree.

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2017 at 6:54pm
RE: Bedliner applied to vintage Jeeps and trailers

I cringe whenever I read that someone on this forum is even contemplating mucking up their Jeep or trailer with bedliner. That stuff isn't really any more durable than a good epoxy primer/urethane top coat paint job, it's difficult to keep clean/traps dirt and it makes future re-restorations a far greater chore. For your newly acquired TC-3, spend time properly prepping the cargo bed for paint, shoot it with epoxy primer and a quality color coat and you won't look back.

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Lee D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 6:43pm
Great feedback.  OK, I'm convinced.  Bed interior will get pretty much the same treatment as exterior. Prep, primer, probably imron to match the jeep.  Still deciding on how extensive the prep will be.

Thanks again to all.

88 XJ w/factory FI upgrade
46 T3C
98 ZJ
01 F250 4by
etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply