Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3-C With a Tailgate as the Front Panel???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3-C With a Tailgate as the Front Panel???
    Posted: 28 Oct. 2016 at 6:16pm
Hello.

I'm new to the Cj2A boards and looking for some information.  I recently purchased a Bantam T3-C and Willys MB-T from a gentleman. This T3-C has a rear panel and tailgate used as the front panel. The PO purchased it from a gentleman that lived closed to Butler, PA and used it on his farm. The PO told me that Bantam used rear panels and tailgates as the front panel on the last remaining trailers before the factory closed due to a lack of front panels and an abundance of rear panels and tailgates and that only a few of these exist. I've researched the internet looking to confirm this, but could not find any supporting evidence. As you can see in the pictures, yep...it sure is a rear panel and tailgate, including the hinges, light holes and chains. Does anyone know if this is true or not. The PO is a very nice person and I don't believe he was leading me astray.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2016 at 9:53pm
could you post a pic of the rear tail gate area?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
twocar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2016 at 11:52pm
Here ya go Jim.  I have the tailgate, just haven't attached it yet.

twocar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2016 at 1:25am
Actually the tailgate is bolted and welded in place making it non-operational.  Who knows! The mystery continues! :-)  Thanks for your interest Jim!
twocar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2016 at 1:26am
Actually the tailgate is bolted and welded in place making it non-operational.  Who knows! The mystery continues! :-)  Thanks for your interest Jim!
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2016 at 1:56am
   Maybe someone modified it for a special purpose. It seems like they would have welded the front panel in if it was factory done because it would make the side panels weaker by having the front gate to operate, I am just guessing and sure there are some on here with more knowledge on them.

Thanks for posting the pics,

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2016 at 2:28pm
I am of the opinion that Bantam, Willys and others used up a lot of their excess inventory to save costs, but when I look at your picture I tend to view it as a Bubba fix. Bantam would have made it look "factory". This panel looks like it doesn't belong. I wouldn't doubt the gentlemans honesty here since the story is very plausible. I just don't think it applies here. That is my .02. Not worth much, but it is what it is.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
 Post Reply Post Reply