Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 sealed bearings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 sealed bearings?
    Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 5:54pm
In preparation for the 2A page Rubicon trip. I'm getting ready to do my 90C conversation on my column shift 2a. I have been reading up on the sealed virus non sealed bearings. Does this only apply to the front one? I have seen on the MB/GPW T84 that they seal up the rear to stop the oil migration between the transfer case also. Does this happen on the t90 also?
Thanks 
Jay
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 7:47pm
Ya it was just done to the front to mitigate fluid loss.
I’ve done it but still have some leakage.  I gave up a live with the minor drops.  Gotta make use of all those amazon boxes somehow.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 11:35pm
I use a sealed bearing , one sided up front. I leave the rear facing part the open side. Two more issues, make sure the front bearing cover fits down cleanly over the large snap ring that's retained in the front bearing race. Omix ada sold some oversize large snap rings. They caused improper gasket sealing. Also be sure and permatex seal the end of the cluster gear shaft between the bell housing and transmission. they will weep there too! Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 5:21am
yes, like oilly said, be sure to seal the cluster gear shaft on the front face.  It is my experience that that shaft area leaks more than the front bearing or the oil slinger screws.  The old gaskets covered the entire machined face, but new ones don’t, which leave the shaft hole uncovered. I’ve used RTV with no success numerous times.  Buy or make a gasket that covers the whole face of the transmission and use some Hi-Tack and I’ll bet you won’t have any leaks (of course make sure of proper snap ring fit, like oilly said)
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 5:35am
Thanks. Has anyone done it to the rear of a T90? Like in the t84 from G503 link.
Jay

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 1:45pm
There is no need to install a sealed bearing on the back side.  For T-90s and Dana 18s, oil sharing is encouraged.  In fact, there are passage ways drilled specifically to accomplish this.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
JeeperJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 5:29pm
Can anyone post the manufacture name and part number for this sealed bearing?
My body is still off and my drive train has not turned in 10 years so I
am going through and sealing everything now in anticipation of some
hemorrhaging if I do nothing.
Am also changing any yoke that has any wear at all and all yoke seals.
A good point is to passivate the internal splines and seal them as well as oil does tends to wick through
splines even if they are new.  I am waiting 48 hours or more before adding new gear oils to ensure the sealant is cured.

cj2ajim
JeeperJim
cj2ajim@gmail.com
JeeperJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 5:30pm
Oh,  and a picture or two?

:)

JeeperJim
cj2ajim@gmail.com
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 10:58pm
I've used two different types.  Both work fine.

This is an MRC 208SZZG...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
JeeperJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 11:02pm
Thank you very much.
Pictures are worth a bunch!

cj2ajim
JeeperJim
cj2ajim@gmail.com
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2021 at 8:26pm
I'm in the process of rebuilding my T90 and D18 and this is the latest thread I could find. I'm going to use a sealed bearing and trying to decide if I should remove the bearing inner seal and if I should plug the oil return hole. I want to make as leak-free as possible (who doesn't) so I'm curious after years and miles on your setup, how did it work?
I know that sealed bearings are designed to run a long time, but I think many wear parts on my 2A will age out before wearing out. In the T90, it makes sense to me to remove the inner bearing seal and leave the oil return hole open for any oil that sneaks by the bearing and case - and give it a place go, rather than out and on the floor. Novak says to plug the return hole. I also plan to use the bearing rear washer plate and oil collector.
I have studied the videos from Brian and Rick. Both have excellent videos and Rick's Guide is great. As much fun as it was to drop the trans and transfer case, I really hope to do it one time!
Should I use sealed bearing as is or remove the inner bearing seal and should I plug or leave open the oil return hole?
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2021 at 8:49pm
Check out page 11

I followed these instructions and have not had any issues.  I also did plug the holes, put sealant on the outside mating surface of the bearing to the case and did not remove the inner seal of the sealed bearing.  Life is good - so far.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2021 at 9:55pm
X2 on what Stev wrote.

You can search the sealed bearing numbers and will find the manufacturers estimates for the bearing life expectancy. I remember it to be in the 200,000 mile range. That gave me enough comfort to leave the inner seal in place.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2021 at 4:22am
It's good to hear that you had positive results with plugging the oil return hole. I don't think the mileage on the bearing will be an issue! Thanks for your comments.
 Post Reply Post Reply