Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90a to T90c...need for clarification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2014 at 2:33am
That's about what I thought too. I'm hoping to get the trans done this spring, but the DJ project has priority since I'm using a friends' shop and the jeep has been in there long enough already.
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 12:45pm
I ran into a situation where it is cheaper for me to install a T90C cheaper than I can replace the 2 worn out gears in my T90A. I understand top speed will be about the same. Anyone have a review on how the T90C drives with the 5.38 differentials?
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 2:56pm
Regardless of manufacturer: all transmissions excepting those equipped with O.D. have a 1/1 ratio in high gears. 
So top speed will not ever be effected by the transmission itself.
The T90 A and the T90 C utilize different ratios for 1st and 2nd gears.

For T90A the 1st gear ratio is 2.798. and for T90-C it's 3.339.
The 1st gear normally used for on-road is what I prefer to call the TAKE-Off ratio.
For road use you multiply the 1st gear ratio by the DIFFERENTIAL RATIO. (DR)
T90-A with 5.375 DR = 15.03 or 15/1 TAKE OFF RATIO.
15/1 TAKE OFF ratio is the time proven Willys standard.
T90-C with 5.375 DR = 17.95 or 18/1 TAKE OFF RATIO. 

Multiply those figures by your transfer case reduction ratio to achieve the  exact crawl ratios.
The time proven standard Willys crawl ratio is 37/1.
With T90-C your new crawl ratio will be slowed down to 44/1 ratio.

It takes at least 5% change to effect a barely notice-able difference in gearing.
Most typically 10% changes are considered at noticable.
T90-A to T90-C  is approximately a 15% change so it will definitely be noticeable both on-road and off.

Because the 1st gear is notsynchronized; with T90-C you may find the jeep now capable able to do rolling stops at STOP signs.
Because 2nd is also lowered you may find it easier to not use 1st gear at some stop signs. 
The common yet technically Illegal rolling stop....

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Jeff J Jeff J wrote:

I ran into a situation where it is cheaper for me to install a T90C cheaper than I can replace the 2 worn out gears in my T90A. I understand top speed will be about the same. Anyone have a review on how the T90C drives with the 5.38 differentials?

I really like my T90c and 5.38s.  I really don’t notice the difference driving around town.  If you do notice it, you’ll get used to it.  Plus it is much better offroad.  I recommend it.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 6:26pm
Rick G. - I have T90c with 5.38 differentials.  In low range, it is hard to match the speed of a stock CJ2A when trail riding.  Great otherwise.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Jeff J Jeff J wrote:

I too have the T90C in my 2A. It has been an asset off road. I have noticed that I need to leave it in 2nd gear just a little longer when driving on pavement or the 60 horses of the Go Devil strain a bit when I shift into 3d. Not really an issue considering the up sides on the trail. 

As Oldtime mentined, I may, or may not execute a somewhat abbreviated (read rolling) stop at some stop signs so that I can just leave it in 2nd and not have to stop dead or grind it into 1st. 

Having an overdrive makes it much easier to match the trail speeds of others in your group. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 9:52pm
Thanks all for the input. It looks like I will be saving some time and money by installing the “C”. 
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 11:09pm
My 1951 M38 has a T 90 C. 5:38 gears. The jump from 2nd to 3rd sucks. You will want a overdrive like I did. When pulling a good hill on the highway, the jump from 2nd to 3rd is too much. The OD is a thing of beauty with a T 90 C. The crawl is noticeable and welcome in the woods. If you go with Terra flex gears in the transfercase, you will need to buy the special bowl gear to go with it. Enjoy. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

...When pulling a good hill on the highway, the jump from 2nd to 3rd is too much. The OD is a thing of beauty with a T 90 C. John

This is absolutely true.  If there is a hill or long incline, you are not going to like driving the T90c without an overdrive, or rather the people behind you won’t like it😉.  There’s an overdrive in my near future because of this.  In town, you won’t notice it much, but on a highway hill you will.  Hope I didn’t mislead you earlier.  All in all, it is still worth it if you do any off-roading at all.  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12