Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90C vs T90A and Terra Low D18?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 2:51pm
just as a side note regarding twin sticking....

instead of switching my D20 out to a D18 front bearing retainer to get the twins, i mimmicked one of the aftermarket setups and made my own bracket, heim joint linkage and actual rods.....

i removed the detent ball and springs, and can also run 2wd low as an option....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 4:51am
Keep us posted! It would be great to see you do this build so I can follow your footsteps.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 3:35pm
Quote instead of switching my D20 out to a D18 front bearing retainer to get the twins,
D18 front bearing cap simply will not work with D20 assemblies.

Low nuff, I suppose you must have built this as a D20 assembly using one of the Jeep factory D20 front bearing caps ?

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 6:28pm
I am going to have Herm build the Teralow case with the twin sticks.  We will see what he comes back with.

I am going to build the T90C - I have the input (16 tooth)and cluster gear (35 tooth).  Still need a master rebuild kit and to evaluate the other T90 parts.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 3:37pm
   Well, this has been a good read !

As one of the guys mentioned earlier in this thread, I too was satisfied with my stock gearing and all for local trail running, even in the lava-beds.
   But my first year through the Rubicon trail I learned that I was geared way too fast for the Rubicon obstacles, and was constantly on the brakes, and/or slipping the clutch which was very "frustrating" and not lots of fun.
   There are hills necessary to climb to get to my Dad's deer camp, and those years that we get early rains there are two hills I must winch over just because of the slick conditions, length of hill, and the crisis of Momentum lost due to no-traction / slick surface. Believe me, I do float-the-valves in my desperate attempts to make the hill on the First-shot attempt. If slick, it is all in vain and out comes the winch ( Warn 8724 w quick line speed ). thanks Warn !
   Interesting thing: _ _ I have used my winch more to retrieve other people rather than assisting myself.
    I'll try to be quick with this little story which is true.

I think the year was about 1985, and my father and I were headed to Wentworth Springs trail-head of the Rubicon. It was late on a Friday night and we were below the Loon Lake turn-off, and as we were going around a real sharp curve, I could see tail-lights down off the road and quite a ways into the Willow bushes.   I stopped, because it must have been near midnight, and I knew we would maybe be the only other idiots out on the road at this hour of the night. Sure enough, the guy had entered the turn way too quick, and dove off into the Willows. This guy "launched" because it was about a 6-foot drop off the road, and he flew 20-feet out into the willow bushes before landing in his Toyota pickup. Lucky he didn't hit a bit tree head-on. (probably why he chose the Willow bushes). The two guys were stuck and high centered with no way out backwards, until my dad ran-out the Warn 8724 cable, and we plucked them back up onto the road.   It was my community service for the day.
    It could very well have been me out there in the Bush. hahaha

It is amazing how sometimes the "line" you think wouldn't work while picking our way through obstacles, _ _ actually Does !

I think you will enjoy those Terra ratios for crawling.

Len
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 7:58am
Confused
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Quote instead of switching my D20 out to a D18 front bearing retainer to get the twins,
D18 front bearing cap simply will not work with D20 assemblies.

Stern Smile
But that’s exactly how I built mine.  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 1:47pm
Rick can you post pics of the TC build, I'd love to see it.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 3:45pm
RickG,  your running a Dana 18 transfer case... not a Dana 20 transfer case.
If the big index bore casting was removed from a Dana 20 that does not imploy that you built a Dana 20.

Dana 18's were factory available with either the Small hole (3-5/32" index bore) or Big hole (4" index bore) cases

The twin stick Dana 18 front bearing cap simply will not work with the D 20 transfer case.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 2:43pm

We probably could use a thread on Tera -Low gears.  Reading information all over the place.

On one of the threads - someone mentions that their Tera-Low gears are noisy.  - Can someone with experience with the Tera-Low gears clarify if the noise in just in low range or is this a problem in high range as well?

How much noise are we talking about?  

It here a noise difference between the 3 gear(D18 ground case) and 4 gear sets (D20 case set up as a D18)?

I am sure people would like to know the same about the Rock Eaters.
Stev
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 3:20pm
I have been one of the guys who complained about the noise of the Terflex gears, but I would like to pull back on that some. They are definitely noisier than the stock gears, but so are the Rockeaters. It's only when you are running in 3rd gear high that the noise gets very annoying, such as when you are "scrambling' in the sand between obstacles. The solution to that is to live with it, or shift to high range. I do believe that they are noisier simply because the gearing is lower and they turn faster. They are not noisy at all in high range ... at least not in my jeep.

I have read and heard reports that the Teraflex gears do not hold up over time but I believe this might be related to guys in trucks with large tires and such. I think the Qwaaazy 8's have shown that the gears hold up just fine in flattys with 33" and less skinny tires. Even though I am now running the rockeaters, I ran the teraflex gears for 2 years. The gears still look good.

A tapered bearing kit on the intermediate shaft may help with some noise in a D18 in 2wd.

Edit: The Rockeaters do make a lower tone in 3rd gear/low, but they are still much louder than stock in my jeep anyway.

Edited by jpet - 24 Aug. 2018 at 3:26pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 3:30pm
I been getting several PM questions lately about D-18 vs D-20 etc.

For the record... I much prefer to just answer what I can on open forums so any info provided can be of benefit to others.
Besides that their are many others who may comment with pertinent input.

Anyway I was planning to update one of my old articles about "Dana Transfer Case Progression" to include Transfer case modifications. 
It is helpful be aware of the progression over time in order to understand modification details.

Can someone please help me locate my old article titled "Transfer Case Progression".
It's posted somewhere on the CJ-3B Page Bulletin Board ....but due to changes that board presently has no search function available.
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

...Can someone please help me locate my old article titled "Transfer Case Progression".
It's posted somewhere on the CJ-3B Page Bulletin Board ....but due to changes that board presently has no search function available.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not but:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cj3b_bulletin_board/26-tooth-vs-29-tooth-t1811.html#p16476

You can still search the site using google by typing in a google search:

"words you are looking for" site:https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cj3b_bulletin_board/
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 3:45pm
Thanks Jeff.

Yeah I believe that's it, but I thought there was more to it.
I'll look some more ...
I'll try and expound off that and post more info about D20 including some of the relative modification concerns.
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 3:48pm
If you can think of key words in the title, you can likely find it. I used:

"Case Progression" site: www.tapatalk.com/groups/cj3b_bulletin_board/
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 3:53pm
Yeah. I guess that was all I wrote about it back in 2011.
That info was high tech back then .... Ha Ha Ha !

I start up a new post on here and see if we can cover some of the good stuff. 
Zero aftermarket parts

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 1:52pm
Update on this Project.

I have all of the parts to build the T90C.  Most of the parts are NOS with the exception of the cluster gear and the Master rebuild kit from Novak.  NOS gears are mainly from White Owl Parts and a few items from Ebay.  

I have a few T90 cases and will be using a T90a case.   I also have an odd T90e case but it is not set up to accept a transfer case.  From what I have read T90e was from a late 1940's Willys two wheel drive pickup/delivery.  If anyone needs at T90e it can be yours for the price of shipping.

Herm is building the Tera-Low as mentioned in earlier posts.  The one update on it is that he is going to use tapered bearings on the intermediate shaft instead of the standard needle bearings. 

Edited by Stev - 08 Sep. 2018 at 3:01pm
Stev
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 4:32pm
Wish I had him do the tapered bearings on mine.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 4:41pm
Only difference with taper intermediate bearings is a little high speed noise reduction and a little increase of the service life.

Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>