Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90C vs T90A and Terra Low D18?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 2:16am
Been doing some research on an engine I picked up from Nick of Submarine Jeep fame last weekend.  

It is a Kaiser - Henry J - car engine with a plate on the side stating Kaiser Supersonic.  It is painted blue like the Henry J's came from the factory, has a YF carb, intake manifold for the L134 that is made to accept the YF Carb, Henry J front plate, a vacuum advanced distributor, Supersonic Head, and is complete except for the generator and fan blade.  The factory blue paint is in really good shape.  Nick said it was a spare engine from someone's dad who has a tractor with a Willys engine in it.  Nick said it has compression when turned by hand.

On the first page of this post I mentioned how all the L134 guys had to take the bypass on the Spring Willy Reunion trip due to horse power and perhaps gearing.

My guess is that is a 68 hp engine.  Just might have to do something with this engine other than put it into the spare engine slot in the garage.  Perhaps it needs to go in the Jeep with the T90c and the Tera-Low transfer case.  Future project perhaps.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 6:25pm
Some what of a struggle to find a oil to run in the T90.  Found a Pennzoil Syncromesh MTF - says it has API GL-3 level performance.  Any one using this?  It is from Advanced Auto.  No synthetic product.

Stev
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 8:55pm
Don't you have a Napa nearby? They have the GL1 that the manual calls for.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 9:02pm
I will try them.  Thanks Stan!
Stev
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 9:18pm
Tractor supply also has GL1.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 9:58pm
Here's the. Napa part number.  65201

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 7:53pm
Went by NAPA and they don't have the GL1 at the store.  They gave to order it.  Maybe we just have lame NAPA stores here.
Stev
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 8:06pm
I get a kick out of the different stories from Napa stores around the country on GL1.

The counter kids at my local store on Ogden (northern Utah) stare at me funny like I asked for a part for my gonqulator to fix the twarlegging flumuxulation.

I just smile and tell them where to find it on their shelf.

Down in Moab, at the Napa there, I asked for GL1 and the guy with beard points to the shelf out front, “it’s out there with the other gear oil.”
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 8:23pm
GL1 is not a fast mover for napa so many keep it in the back to leave space up front for the more modern lubes but the glassy eyed counter kids don't know it..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2018 at 1:25am
My local NAPA didn't list it on the website, so I just went to Tractor Supply.
1946 CJ2A 14098
GeorgiaFlattie View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgiaFlattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

That's where I found it as well. It's labeled Ford Tractor SAE 90 Transmission fluid.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2018 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

Got to walk up to the counter with the part number. 65201

Problem solved though, if you got it form Tractor Supply.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345