Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tailgate chains, & now a hook question!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tailgate chains, & now a hook question!
    Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 4:20pm
Hello,

How close are CJ2A tailgate chains to the Bantam tailgate chains?

Can anyone provide the chain size, style and link count of the original Bantam chains, in case I decide to make some?

Thanks!
Daniel

Edited by uglyjeep - 01 Apr. 2011 at 11:13pm
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 6:56pm
I think there at least 2 different chain patterns, one is called a double lock (which I found on mine) the other is your normal link type chain. There was a discussion about this a while back but I'm not sure if any dates for which type were correct was determined. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 10:48pm
Daniel:

As far as I know, my tailgate chains are original to the trailer.  My chains are 34 links in all.  Each link measures close to an inch each.  (please see pics below).  I do not know about the CJ2A's so I would not be able to help you in that area but I do have a Bantam.  The total length of the chain is roughly 21 1/2 to 22 inches long.

Hope this helps you in your search.

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2011 at 2:40am
If you look here http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/t3c_topic9361_page1.html, there's a discussion about the chains that were on mine. (definitely different than the standard link variety, but has been seen on various trailers). The question remains "Is this a yearly production change, or did Bantam mix and match to what they had on hand at the moment?"  
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2011 at 4:01am
Joel, thanks so much for that info and photos, they will come in very handy when I make chains for my trailer.  How are they attached to the links on the sides of the trailer?   Is it a welded closed link, or one of those split links that can be pried open?

Gail, thank you for the page link, I searched this morning for a link like that, but I was looking in the discussion and tech sections.  That sure is an interesting chain style, I like it, I may use it for my homemade chains.  It looks like that style chain would have less of a tendency to twist or tangle.

Daniel
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2011 at 3:22pm
Daniel:

Welcome!!!  The chains are welded in place.  Just look at photo #4 (close up photo of the chains).  Can't really see it from the other side but they are welded in there.  Don't know how the welds were put in there but I presume it was done by machine.

Anyways, I just hope I was able to help you out a little bit.

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

1940's Bantam T3-C
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2011 at 3:36pm
My "lock loop"type chain was welded in the same place, no split link, just the end loop welded to the inside of the flange. I wondered how they got the weld in there, one possibility was that they welded the chain on before welding the back panels to the sides. Pretty awkward place to get to.

Edited by bkreutz - 20 Feb. 2011 at 3:36pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2011 at 4:00pm
Gale...I have the same in my trailer.  When I looked at it yesterday I was actually wondering how in the heck they got those welds in that little area too.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2011 at 4:50pm
Interesting... my chains must have been cut off.  I have the welded links on the sides of my trailer remaining, so they could be a match to the size and type chain that should have been on it.  Thank you for the info!

Daniel
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2011 at 8:50pm
Email sent with photos.
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2011 at 4:41am
OK, I found some chain, that looks pretty close to Joel's photos and measurements, (Thanks Joel! Thumbs Up)....

Now, if someone wouldn't mind measuring the the length and width of the "S" shaped tailgate chain hooks, along with the material diameter, it will help me match up some correct looking hooks.  Thanks for all the help with this!

Daniel
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2011 at 4:50pm
Doing some further research on the gallery pictures, I see that there is at least 2 different straight link tailgate chains used in the '46 and '47 models, most of the earliest trailers, up through '46 and beyond, seem to have a larger linked chain with 21 links.

The closest match to Joel's 34 link chain (later models??) looks to be a general utility chain, trade size 1.

It looks like 4/0 trade size for the earlier 21 link chains, it is the closest in dimensions to the existing welded links on the back of my trailer, and 21 links of 4/0 chain makes the length about 20.8", plus the length of a hook at the end should be just about right.

The hooks also look to be different sizes for the two chain styles, based on measuring photos.  The 21 link chains use a larger hook than the 34 link chains do.

I am hoping some of you folks can confirm these suspicions.

Daniel

Edited by uglyjeep - 02 Apr. 2011 at 8:02pm
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2011 at 3:08am
Originally posted by uglyjeep uglyjeep wrote:

OK, I found some chain, that looks pretty close to Joel's photos and measurements, (Thanks Joel! Thumbs Up)....

Now, if someone wouldn't mind measuring the the length and width of the "S" shaped tailgate chain hooks, along with the material diameter, it will help me match up some correct looking hooks.  Thanks for all the help with this!

Daniel

Daniel:

Got the camera out again today and took some pictures of my hooks.  Now, they look to be original but I can't confirm that so I'll post what I have on hand, ok buddy.

Let me know if this is able to help you out a bit.  The width of the S hook appears to be 3/8's thick and the S it self is 2 1/2 inches long.  I hope you can take it from there.  Good luck and let us know with what you come up with.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2011 at 4:35pm
That helps a bunch!  Thanks again Joel.

Now, if anyone else has the larger (earlier?) 21 link chains, and wouldn't mind comparing measurements to Joel's hooks, that may help fill in additional details on the tailgate chain subject.

Thanks again!
Daniel
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2011 at 3:14am
Here is a 21 link ....total length from trailer to end of hook - 24 inches.

Original Canvas chain cover

Edited by dmeyerrph - 05 Apr. 2011 at 3:17am
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2011 at 4:13pm
Excellent, thank you Dave.  Those dimensions help me a lot.  Those original covers are a great find, and if you get a moment, what is the overall length of your covers?  And is the width about 2" or so when laid flat?  My in-laws have an industrial sewing machine, and I wouldn't mind making a set to match yours.  Thank you again!

I am also noticing that some trailers in the high 6000 and low 7000 serial numbers appear to be using some large 18 link tailgate chains on a few models.  If one of you folks with the 18 link chains can get around to posting pictures or measurements, it could certainly be useful for future restorers.

Daniel
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 2:05am
Covers are 20 inches long and 2 inches wide laid flat.
Made out of green canvas.
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 3:38am
Thank you again!...now I have to learn how to sew!Wink

Daniel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>