Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tailgate Hinge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tailgate Hinge
    Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 3:35pm
Just purchased a T3-C. Am looking at the tailgate hinge on this trailer. Here is a Pic..

Pretty sure this is a modification to make the tailgate easy to remove. Thoughts?

Jon.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2016 at 3:09am
Here's a pic of a hinge someone posted and I ordered in based on the number. Looks like a good matchup.

To

Edited by mickeykelley - 25 Nov. 2016 at 3:11am
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2016 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by jwm1955 jwm1955 wrote:

Pretty sure this is a modification to make the tailgate easy to remove. Thoughts?

Jon,
It sure looks like an attempt to allow removal.  I'd be a bit concerned the pin would slide out from road vibration. 

Too bad the tailgate wasn't set up similar to the jeep hinge. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
jwm1955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2016 at 2:13pm
Hmmm... That might be a great modification, I will have to re-do the angle iron across the bottom anyway. Maybe someone has already done it and will share pics.

Thanks
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2016 at 5:17pm
I bought a set of CJ-2A tailgate hinges with the thought of modifying the Batumn tailgate to the same system that the 2A has for removing the tailgate. Of course, I haven't worked on yet. Embarrassed
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2016 at 9:25pm

I used a 3.5 inch solid hinge from ACE hardware.  Can't remove the pin so its close to the original style.  I had to trim a little off one side, but not a problem because I replaced the bottom angle iron support too.

here is the old
then with the new hinge

Edited by HCAT - 27 Nov. 2016 at 1:56am
Dave
44 Willys MB
 Post Reply Post Reply