Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TAILGATE REPAIR SECTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2009 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by nickwarchol nickwarchol wrote:

.....When I needed to repair one on a '48 2A, about 10 years ago, I used a section of metal tube and then added some strips of sheet metal with some very simple bends to make it look like the original from the outside.   It required welding the sheet metal strips along the entire length of the tube, but when it was done and ground flush, you couldn't tell the difference.  ......

I bet you could make a pretty good one doing it that way.

If I were making these in large quantity, I would probably make a set of dies something like this:
The dies would be 37+" long.

Like Nick said though, I doubt a regular sheet metal shop would have the tooling for that.  It wouldn't make sense unless you were going to do several.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2009 at 11:30pm
If you can not find a local sheet metal shop to do the work.
Go to your local airport and talk to an aircraft mechanic.
They should be able to point you to a shop that has the proper sheet-metal equipment to do the job.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 1:47am
I talk with the MAN at the second sheet metal shop to day and he could not make the whole thing but he could do everything but the round tube for the lack of a better word. so he is going to shear and make the bend and then I am going to try to bend it around some round stock. I have some question for all who want them. Do you want them to be the full length of the tail gate or if you look at my first post you can see I left my hinge pins and the outer section in tack as it was not all rusted out. And if it was full length would you want it spot welded together and to have hinge pins installed. I am just throwing ideas around to see what people want. P.S. what would that kinda tooling cost to make Jeff.   Thanks, mike
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
nickwarchol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickwarchol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 1:52am
Jpet, 

Your picture is exactly how I made mine.   It work very well and looked great when it was finished.

Nick
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 3:04am
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

..... what would that kinda tooling cost to make Jeff.   Thanks, mike
I suppose I could make the dies but you're gonna need a press to use them.  What kind of time frame are we talking?  At the moment I have some window frames to make and a couple more small projects.

If you don't have access to a machine shop, you can probably make a fixture like this:
The die could be made with three pieces of bar stock.  You can bolt them together, weld them together or other.  Of course if you had a mill, you could cut a 3/4"  5/8" 11/16" wide slot through a solid piece.  These are just rough sketches but the slot would not need to be any deeper than maybe 1/2".  Once you got this shape, you could probably bend the piece on around the piece of round stock.  Let me think on that for a minute and get back to you.  If you did not have a punch press you may be able to do it with a bottle jack press.  You would have to start pressing in the center a little at a time an then move the die over a little an just keep working your way up and down the die. Know what I mean?  Anywho these materials can be obtained easily.

Mike,

If your local shop had a fixture, would they be able to press the parts out?  Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Edited by jpet - 23 Dec. 2009 at 12:55am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 3:32am
Jeff,
Your skill here again is quite amazing. It's very educational to see your thought proccess here. I would think that at least 100 of these would be purchased within a month. At least another 200 over the course of a year and then at least 50 a year after that.... MAN, I'm just guessing here, but most original tailgates that go with the tub need help too.....
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 3:33am
Jeff I have access to a 100 ton shop press (signal ram) at work and a buddy has a milling machine or I could go to a machine shop and have them do it. I just really did not know how to engineer it or draw it up. You have a gift for that, The last drawing you made is how I should receive the pieces from the sheet metal shop so your are right on the money there.  Thanks I know your busy and I am not in any hurry so help at you convince and in the end if I just had a drawing with  the dimension I could have the miller use to make the die that would be great. On the L piece I need to drill holes to (fake) spot weld with my wire feed so I thought I could make to pieces of strong flat bar and bolt them together with the L in the middle and put some handle or something on them to continue the bend around the round stock. and I could hold the round stock in place by drilling the holes for the hinge pin spot welds and then have some threaded holes in my round stock and screwing it right to the sheet metal and that way it will stay put. Just some ideas! Thanks again, Mike
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 3:41am
Gary that is what I was thinking. I will do everything in my power to do this as I have been helped so much here that I want to contribute something back to everyone here. So far I think I can make these for around 25 buck or so.  We will see but with the help of Jeff which in his last drawing he blew me away as I have been thinking of how to bend that radius for a week or two now and never thought of that supper simple set up. He is the MAN!!!!   Mike

Edited by mike in oregon - 22 Dec. 2009 at 3:42am
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 1:09pm
I'm not in a place where I can get to a tailgate so I have some questions and comments:

ID of loop is 1/2" 9/16"

Thickness of material is 16 gauge

The "S" curve, or "loopty-doo", or offset, or wachakalit at the bottom of the part is 1/16" (thickness of material) and its horizontal position is on the bottom quadrant of the loop.

What is the length of the flange "A"?
What do we want the replacement length "B" to be?

If I can, I will do some experiments today. (not likely)

I wonder if this thread should be moved to MCP.

Edited by jpet - 23 Dec. 2009 at 12:56am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 1:31pm
And what would this approximate radius be?

Edit:  or is this about right?

Edited by jpet - 22 Dec. 2009 at 1:48pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 2:24pm
It actually looks to me by the way the loop is shaped that it may have originally been stamped like the first sketch shown here:

Then to close the loop, it was simply rolled over in this manner.

Edited by jpet - 22 Dec. 2009 at 3:18pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

nickwarchol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickwarchol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 3:26pm
I found the pictures of how I repaired my tailgate.   It's not as nice as having it bent like the original but it is within the skills of many home repair shops.

These pictures are before the finish welding and grinding.

Nick

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 7:55pm
Jeff  the bend that you have marked as .06 ( s curve) is more of a radius that is very hard for me to explain. The actual ID of the loop is 9/16" . Flange A is 3/4" to  center of radius which I put a 1/2"  OD dia. washer in and it fits nicely in the radius, kinda depends were I put  it along my old rusty part as it is not in the best of shape. Length of flange B  I am having made at approx 1-1/2" this will put your cut pretty close to the ribs in the tail gate.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 8:01pm

.......Length of flange B  I am having made ....
When I'm finished right?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 8:54pm
No, I do not expect you to make them, I have a sheet metal shop making them right now. All I needed was some engineering help on how to make the loop. That is the part they could not do. I like the tooling you post at 7:00 PM last night I could do something like that. I just needed  some measurements on that and If you had any Ideas of the final bend of the loop. I think you must have missed one of my post after yours last night. I know you are very busy and I really want to do my part here for all the members.  I already stop today and bought 20' of 9/16" CR round stock to make the tools and maybe some hinge pins if every one wants a complete piece. I know that someone is already making hinge pins but if I am going to ship a complete repair piece iIwill have some made and install them.  Mike
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 9:27pm

.....If you had any Ideas of the final bend of the loop. ....
Something like this maybe?

You can make the top die out of angle iron. (you can make the first die from angle iron if you want too).

The main thing is getting it all lined up.  This operation should go smooth the top die should follow in nicely and straddle the loop but the first operation may be tricky getting the bent edges lineup with the round stock.

Good luck.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 9:32pm
Maybe cut the angle iron down like this:

That way the top die forces the loop to stay down.  I also added a gib to the edge of the die to keep the part from sliding away and it helps align the part as well.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2009 at 9:42pm
Looks good Jeff thanks I will round up some steel and get these tools made up around the holidays as time premints. I will keep you all updated with some pics as I go. Merry Christmas and happy New Years to all. Mike
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>