Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Talk to me about fire extinguishers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talk to me about fire extinguishers
    Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 11:13pm
So while not really searching them out, I've come across a couple... one as a throw in on a parts deal and the other as a ten dollar bill at a flea market (I'm not terribly invested). One of them is headed to the fender on my 2A as jewelry.  I have no aspirations that it actually work. 

Couple questions...

The Fire Guard looks to be WWII.  Traces of OD, someone saw fit to strip 99% of it.  The decal looks original such that it is.  The overall condition is fair to poor.  I did trackdown a repop decal.  To knock some of the dents out Id likely have to unsolder the end to get access inside.  The question is are these desirable enough to the G503 crowd I should move it on as is, or is it too far gone to matter?  It fits the repop single strap mount nice.

The other is a Pyrene, but not the heavy truck model... someone has polished on it so hard I think a genie came out.  The stamped label likely doesn't have enough relief left in spots to black lacquer and fine sand it back.  Couple small dents I'd likely leave... question here is it doesn't fit the mount, but looks like it would if the bottom of the mount had a hole in it.  Anyone ever drill one to fit?

If you had these to work with, which one, and leave as is or attempt to "clean em up"?  ... and lastly, say I stumble onto an original two strap mount and want to use it.  Are the feet and holes for the mount the same, or once I drill my fender for this one am I committed?

TIA-

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 3:08pm
Wish I would have had one when this happened in the UP of Mi. in 2015, I blame crappy float in import rebuild kit, probably why I have such attitude about import trash! This almost happened to my jeep about 2 wks later when carb. overflowed steaming on the hot manifold. Yikes! I was glad to get 2015 over. A lot of older HD's and Indians had a very similar one. Big Bucks. I think I'll look for one though. Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 6:46pm
Oh, OUCH!  That makes me cry for ya!  Makes me want to carry an extinguisher, too...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 7:46pm
Ol' Red carries a 5:BC extinguisher mounted on the tool box between the seats for just such occasions.

Sorry about the bike. That must have been tough watching it go up in smoke.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Ol' Red carries a 5:BC extinguisher mounted on the tool box between the seats for just such occasions.

That must have been tough watching it go up in smoke.
Thanks guy's, Yeah watching 4 guys throw sand and gravel on my fresh total rebuild was hard to watch happened so fast. Smart move SE Kansas on the fire ex. I know my jeep will definetly be sporting an extinguisher, Cheap insurance. It ended up ok with insurance plus I was able to keep the title on the Pan. Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 4:03pm
Since you're using it as "jewelry" and not "emergency equipment", I'd vote for the Fire Guard in your existing mount.  Leave the dents and scratches, they add character.  

I carry a 2.5 lb ABC extinguisher on two of my Jeeps, on the driver front fender.  I've had to use one of them twice.  If you decide to get a working extinguisher, get one with the aluminum head on it, not the plastic head.  The plastic heads crack with significant vibration.  Been there. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 4:09pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 4:13pm
We mounted one on the frame rail of our 80" flattie... Not sure if works? Hope I never need to try.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Since you're using it as "jewelry" and not "emergency equipment", I'd vote for the Fire Guard in your existing mount.  Leave the dents and scratches, they add character.  

I carry a 2.5 lb ABC extinguisher on two of my Jeeps, on the driver front fender.  I've had to use one of them twice.  If you decide to get a working extinguisher, get one with the aluminum head on it, not the plastic head.  The plastic heads crack with significant vibration.  Been there. 

This is definitely for period correct "show" only... I have a second modern extinguisher mounted in the back, the thinking being I don't want to have to step into the flames to get the extinguisher.  It does have a plastic head so your advice on the aluminum head models is well taken.  Will rethink that a bit Thumbs Up 

ETA:  my luck someone will grab the non op and run into a burning building to save the day Confused... this being MA, I'm sure there is a law in the books about labeling and signage, probably 4'x6' in at least five languages

Edited by mbullism - 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:13pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:39pm
ggorddon 49, Great pic's of America's best (IMHO) sporting machines. You ought to get the tee shirt "flatheads forever" Mbullisium sorry about high-jacking your thread also the spelling Joe
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:47pm

X2. Definitely Aluminum! BTDT
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

...Mbullisium sorry about high-jacking your thread also the spelling Joe

No Worries on either count LOL  except for the "do the holes for the different mounts line up" it's a casual opinion thread Smile
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

ggorddon 49, Great pic's of America's best (IMHO) sporting machines. You ought to get the tee shirt "flatheads forever" Mbullisium sorry about high-jacking your thread also the spelling Joe

Yes, that is a great idea Smile On the back it could say "Labor of love" or "Blood, Sweat & Tears".

BTW - I'm sorry to see the pic of your Pan, looked like a really beauty Cry

Edited by ggordon49 - 11 Dec. 2017 at 6:05pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 6:21pm

Perhaps a red tag reading "NON-OPERATIONAL" or something similar would be a good idea on the "jewelry" one.

Most metal-valved extinguishers can be inspected and re-filled. The plastic ones cannot.

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 10:01pm
Here is a single band bracket holding a Fire-Gun…

Here is the drill pattern for this bracket…

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 1:47am
Thanks for the pics, Tim... brings up yet another permutation I hadnt considered- removing the stand offs from the mount and attaching the spine to the fender.  I like the reinforcement plate, too Smile
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 1:57am
Planning a 2.5lb on both sides of the rollbar so either pass. or driver can reach across to access. And a smaller one on the drivers kick panel in the cowl to dash gusset.

I almost had a 40 Dodge coupe go up in flames luckily the can of starter fuild decided to roll under the seat and touch the battery positive to the seat springs in front of a fire station.

A 1.5" hose saved the car but not the seat or headliner
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
RunningW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RunningW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 1:56am
Reading all these posts, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had little fire mishaps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>