Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The one that got away

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The one that got away
    Posted: 19 June 2017 at 11:26pm
A short story.

Six years ago while traveling back roads as I am constantly doing, I spotted an aluminum top that was protruding out from behind a small building. The top surely belonged on a jeep but I couldn't determine if it was on one or not. A few months later traveling the same road in the opposite direction I could see what appeared to be the corner of a
Jeep under the aluminum top. Oh cool, but no one was around and the place looked deserted so I drove on. From time to time I would go past this vehicle but never took the time to stop and look closer. Fast forward to last Saturday and holy
Smokes, there it was sitting on a trailer, fresh from its resting place behind the building.

I am not disappointed that I didn't pursue it, I have too many projects as it is but I can't help feeling a little guilty as this could have been a real find, you know the one that we all are looking for?!
Anyway it seems to have been rescued and hopefully someone will find a way to get it back in service. When I took these photos no one was around or tried to stop me from trespassing.
Dutch
     ,[__|__],
l   L__O|||||O_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 12:21am
interesting that the door handle and hinges are on the same side of door.
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 12:40am
Sliders maybe?
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 1:36am
Looked home made, maybe a rod running horizontal to the jam?
Dutch
     ,[__|__],
l   L__O|||||O_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 2:24am
It would seem to be a 2 handed operation to open the door but there seems to be some holes at the back of the door where a handle may have been. Arctic windshield and a home made cab?
uncamonkey
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 3:47am
Originally posted by Dutch Dutch wrote:

Anyway it seems to have been rescued and hopefully someone will find a way to get it back in service. When I took these photos no one was around or tried to stop me from trespassing.

Would be cool if the new owner ( Hopefully not being scrapped) joins the site.

Very odd on the hinge / handle on the same side. Would be nice to see the other side of the door and how it is assembled.
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 5:28pm
Nice find for someone...

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

It would seem to be a 2 handed operation to open the door but there seems to be some holes at the back of the door where a handle may have been.

Maybe the handles were relocated to make it easier to reach from inside, and the outer handle had to go with the inner.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 5:35pm
the thrill is the hunt and the discovery. Nothing beats that little skip in the heart beat and that sudden intake of air when something like this is found. Wisdom and experience then steps in and you can do a complete assessment of what you've found........maybe a '46 with a PTO. Nice! But then you have a roached body and who know what else. Lots of work! To the guy with "too many projects" you finally tell yourself you need to pass on it. To the guy who has found his first jeep he must decide if he has a "partster" or a workable project. Decisions, decisions!
Oh well then. The thrill is in the hunt for parts now. That's how these little guys get rescued and live to drive another day.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

It would seem to be a 2 handed operation to open the door but there seems to be some holes at the back of the door where a handle may have been.

Maybe the handles were relocated to make it easier to reach from inside, and the outer handle had to go with the inner.  BW

Actually on my Koenig top I use my elbow most of the time to work the door latch.
I agree on why it was moved, perhaps mot the best thought out plan however.
uncamonkey
koji7868 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koji7868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 2:09pm
Looking incredible.
Koolkats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koolkats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 10:01pm
Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to comment, but this old girl is mine.

She was my step-dads and was his someday project.

She is now my current project.

I will post updates as I can.

All the best,

Sean

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Koolkats Koolkats wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to comment, but this old girl is mine.

She was my step-dads and was his someday project.

She is now my current project.

I will post updates as I can.

All the best,

Sean

...and the world just got a little smaller Wink

Welcome, Sean! Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Koolkats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koolkats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 10:07pm
FYI,

This was hiding behind those locked rear doors.

Edited by Koolkats - 24 July 2018 at 10:11pm
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 11:13pm
Sean, Good for you..... Get us some pictures of the inside.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 3:06am
Welcome to the page, Koolkats!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Elroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 7:28pm
Anybody else notice the heavy duty tie down straps? Welcome to new jersey,
Greekstyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greekstyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 8:43pm
I am new to this board.  In brief, the wife's dad passed away and we got this old willys jeep.  Wife wants it to run again - she has fond memories of it as a child.  I just got it back from the shop and it was running for about two weeks, now no longer runs. Don't have $$$ to put back in after spending $600.   Sounds weird on start up, like weak, but the battery is new and hearing a strange (low-whistling for lack of a better description) noise when trying to crank.  I know NOTHING about cars so unless you are patient, you may want to ignore my posts.  First, can someone help me identify this jeep, the numbers on plate are not very readable and my father in law was notorious for just making things work, for all I know he could have spliced three or four jeeps together to produce this one.  I think its either a CJ2A or JC3A.  What should I check if I know battery and cables are good (those were replaced).  What is the next sequence of checking?  I have a volt meter....please use very simple terminology.  Any help would be very much appreciated.
No automatic alt text available.Image may contain: outdoorNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>