Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Resurrection of CJ2-26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 1:24am
I think an actual size stamping would be nice to have!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 2:01am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Nice work. What sort of press arrangement you gonna use to stamp the logo?
probably going to fasten the dies to a set of long plates with alignment pins that go out past the top and bottom of the tail gate.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 9:22pm

After a couple prototypes, I feel like I have a set of dies that give me the result I’m looking for.   Thanks to Joe and Luke, I’m able to run these myself on our mill at work.

Trying to reverse engineer Fred’s and Todd’s stampings did not work because the dies would not replicate the inconsistencies. The dies have to be sharper and more resolute since the formed steel will have softer edges after pressing. For this reason, I designed the dies, using the “JEEP” stampings but I also used depths and radii based on the original drawing of the “WILLYS” stamp and added what I thought the engineer intended the stamp to look like based on certain consistencies between the “JEEP” stamp and the “WILLYS” stamp. This is the result:

Unfortunately, the tailgate I have to work with had some holes in it that I welded up so when I pressed the letters in, the welds cracked as the metal stretched so one of the “E”s got messed up but a tig weld, restamp, and some glazing fixed it. The dies are made from aluminum for faster machining and the did not dent or distort at all when I pressed the soft sheet metal. The pictures are a little deceiving but in the actual, the stamp looks nearly identical to Fred’s original windshield. The only significant difference is that the inside of the “P” is slightly larger on my stamp. I did this on purpose because I believe the engineer intended the height of the inside to be as tall as the distance between tines on the “E”. Fred’s windshield has a slightly smaller inside on the “P” but I believe that to be the anomaly. IMO the stamping of #29’s tail gate looks more like my stamp than Fred’s windshield:

Anywho since nobody seems to have a tailgate to compare it to, I’m satisfied.   I still want to see if I can get the twist out of this tailgate but this fulfills a 5 year old promise I made to Fred.

Todd,
If you are satisfied with this stamp, I’m ready for your tailgate.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 9:32pm
Clap
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 9:39pm
Great job Jeff!!!
Jay
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

...but this fulfills a 5 year old promise I made to Fred...

Buy an old jeep, they said...
It's not an addictive hobby, they said...

Chasing such a detail that hard goes above and beyond. IMO.  Nice work! Clap

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 10:19pm
Good job Jeff! Thumbs Up
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 10:20pm
Great Scott! Do you realize what you've done? The space/time continuum could be ripped apart! Please stamp out a few of the needed accessories but then deposit the dies in the Holy Hall of Willys antiquity so that they will never resurface again. This is dark magic.....ask the guy who made all those WARN overdrive knobs....are they special anymore? Maybe they are or maybe they're not...
You sir are a mighty SORCERER!

Edited by damar2yxr - 27 June 2019 at 11:21pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 10:22pm
Nice !!
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 12:48am
Amazing work again!

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 1:55am
I'd buy that.  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 7:59pm
WOW!! Jeff, that tailgate looks superlative! Thanks so much!!  I just decided to check back in on my own thread and found all your photos of a tailgate to die for.  Excellent work!  Can't wait to see it in person later this month when I return from my Grand Canyon rafting trip and ramp up the Resurrection of CJ2-26.  Progress is afoot.  Tongue   . . . or perhaps atail.  LOL 
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 3:18pm
Jeff delivered my beautifully stamped JEEP tailgate last week when I was away rafting down the Grand Canyon, so yesterday I picked it up from Bruce with whom Jeff left it.

I am so ecstatic with the final results that I will have some orchids for dinner tonight.  Big smile 

Jeff, THANK YOU so much for all your tireless work and effort making this final JEEP-stamped part for CJ2-26.  This dream never would have come true without you.  Smile

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

Jeff delivered my beautifully stamped JEEP tailgate last week when I was away rafting down the Grand Canyon, so yesterday I picked it up from Bruce with whom Jeff left it.

I am so ecstatic with the final results that I will have some orchids for dinner tonight.  Big smile 

Jeff, THANK YOU so much for all your tireless work and effort making this final JEEP-stamped part for CJ2-26.  This dream never would have come true without you.  Smile

That's the kind of work we've become to expect from "the master" Jeff.  Good to hear from you on the page Fred!Clap
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 7:38pm
Completely awesome.......the work itself and the dedication to a friend and a promise made. This is the kind of thing that makes our hobby unlike most other automotive hobbies. Friends and enthusiasts helping each other instead of taking each other to the cleaners. 

Handshake   Saaaaaaa-lute!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

A truly appropriate feast for the occasion!  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 9:53pm
Looking forward to seeing paint on it
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 3:12am
Fred,
   I'm not sure if you have confirmed CJ2-26 was assigned to Texas A&M, but I found a couple of references that you may enjoy reading.  The second image documents the the trip to Ohio and refers to the jeep as "the aggie jeep" and "the Texas aggie jeep".  If you are looking to name CJ2-26, perhaps "Aggie" might be a good name.

1st image - Army Jeep Adaptable For Farm Purposes
2nd image - Smith to Attend 3-Day Army Jeep Session in Ohio

Regards,
Dave L.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>