Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Submarine Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Submarine Jeep
    Posted: 22 Aug. 2016 at 11:47pm
These oddball Jeeps keep following me home!

Have you ever seen an actual M151 Mutt powerpack conversion in a CJ2A?

I've been working on prying this from my buddy Hugh's hands for about a year now. Yesterday we finally agreed on a trade deal, and she's mine. 

Hugh purchased this Jeep from the creator's grandson. He claimed grandpa bought this in a crate after the war. They used it for plowing, farm work, etc. Grandpa towed it all over the place behind his RV. After Vietnam, he wanted a power upgrade to run it down the highway. That's when the M151 plan was hatched. The Jeep retired to towing a hot dog stand around. Hugh's neighbor happened to be a cousin of the family and also confirmed this 1947 CJ was WWII surplus. Grandpa was quite the story teller (he was lying).

No photoshop! The M151 powerpack includes the radiator, engine, and tranny as one single unit sealed unit.

Check out the 3-pulley system for the throttle cable. This was an engineering feat.

Crazy master cylinder setup. It's a complicated mess for sure.

Engine data tag.

The firewall had to be cut to fit the Mutt powerpack. Good news though: the body was handmade from the cowl back to the tailgate. If you look closely around the outside, you can see subtle differences.

We do have a functioning e-brake. In front is the hi/low and to the right is the shifter.

This is a part of the project that has stumped me. The grandson believed they removed the front driveshaft for flat towing. You can see the front tcase output shaft is an odd shape.

These are the two driveshafts I have. The top looks like it should fit over the tcase, but is about 8'' too long.

Here's a better look at the inner. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Master plan:

I'm not sure what my exact plans are. We do know for sure this WWII crate Jeep (joke...) is going to be fitted with snorkels and captained across a river like Queen Mary. The M151 powerpack is completely waterproof. I'll have to waterproof the ignition switch, intake and alternator. 

The Jeep will continue to look "stock" from the outside. A little friendly competition with Bam Bam Wink
I'd like to see how capable I can make this Jeep. Turn this into everything I wanted my 3A to be prior to the restoration. My side goal is to see just how little of cash I can put into the project. On the Jeep itself I did a partial trade for a GPW that didn't owe me a dollar. As of now I'm in $40 after buying a battered MB grille and M38 hood with the snorkel hole.

Oh yes... I'm making an SAS 2A/M151.

1. Find a rear axle (this one is locked up) and weld. Unload Jeep at campus.
2. Get the Jeep running
3. Finish waterproofing
4. Create a front driveshaft
5. Paint
6. Queen Mary glory

Edited by Nick_ - 25 Aug. 2016 at 3:59am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 12:05am
How can a 1947 cj2a be WWII surplus?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

That's the running gag.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

X2 on that!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Hugh Hedrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 7:11am
That was the story the original owner told his grandsons
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 12:00pm
Must be the new math they teach nowadays,

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 12:52pm
I see lots of 151 mutt motors around, but always wondered if they would fit in a  CJ. Looks like I don't want to go there. LOL. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 1:41pm
Cool beans.  Looking forward to the build and welcome to the "Super Stock" club.

Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

The Jeep will continue to look "stock" from the outside. A little friendly competition with Bam Bam Wink

is this an underwater competition?! Shocked
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

This was always my favorite part in HS, when I was running a Kaiser CJ and all my friends had muscley cars...  I'd race anyone...  they got to pick half the course, and I got to pick the other half LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 3:35pm
Nick,

The M151 has a 4 speed transmission, with front and rear output shafts directly below the transmission.
There is no transfer case, and as such, no low range, just a low 1st gear.

Being a 'center drop', does that mean the rear axle has been swapped for a centered pumpkin?
If not, the driveshaft with the trunion yoke is the rear, similar in design to the model 20 transfer case when run with an offset rear.

A trunion would also be required in the front.

I'm not so sure the front axle was ever connected after the conversion. The joint angles would be pretty extreme.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2016 at 3:25am
You guys are right, this must have been a nightmare to convert. I don't have the patience for all the contraptions he engineered to make her run.

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Cool beans.  Looking forward to the build and welcome to the "Super Stock" club.

I gotta say Bam Bam is a big part of my desire for this contraption. I will neither confirm nor deny the specifics, but we may need to hit some trails.

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Nick,

The M151 has a 4 speed transmission, with front and rear output shafts directly below the transmission.
There is no transfer case, and as such, no low range, just a low 1st gear.

Being a 'center drop', does that mean the rear axle has been swapped for a centered pumpkin?
If not, the driveshaft with the trunion yoke is the rear, similar in design to the model 20 transfer case when run with an offset rear.

A trunion would also be required in the front.

I'm not so sure the front axle was ever connected after the conversion. The joint angles would be pretty extreme.

Hey Joe, thanks for the info. I agree the front probably wasn't ever setup. This power pack is a whole new animal to me. Is the 1st gear plenty low enough, or did the military experience difficulties climbing hills? The Mutt axle ratio was 4:88 but the 2A is 5:38. This is in my favor.

The Jeep is currently sitting at WeeWilly's house as I couldn't unload it with the stuck axle (I am replacing that in a few days). He went out to check for us, and reported the rear axle is the standard 2A offset. There is an angle to make the driveshaft work, but isn't extreme enough to appear to be a problem. Jim said the front would need the same angle but again shouldn't be an issue if the rear has worked fine. A center diff might collide with the steering bell crank.

Looking at this diagram, the front axle is offset a bit more than the rear which I can foresee a nasty driveshaft angle. Are there any standard width front axle options if this doesn't work?

blc3128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blc3128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2016 at 3:42am
I don't understand how a 47 2A can be WWII surplus. The question that arises to me is, Did CJ2A's at any point during production leave the factory in a crate? Were you able to purchase them that way? As far as I know I did not think Willys crated the CJ2A for shipping. Can anyone chime in?
1948 CJ2A #197894
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2016 at 4:02am
Guys, the Jeep coming from a surplus crate was not real. Grandpa told the grand kids that's how he bought it, and they all believed it. It was just funny how Hugh's neighbor came up and told the identical story and "confirmed" grandpa was telling everyone the same story.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2016 at 4:07am
The same way some of those older guys when they see a M38 and say they drove one just like it in world war II. It just didn't happen. LOL

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2016 at 11:12am
Nick, 

Yo might be able to make that steep driveshaft angle live at low speed, but the absense of a plunge joint on the shaft with the trunion my bind on jounce and rebound.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2016 at 12:20am
A few years back there was some chatter on the Willys M Jeep site of installing a 151 powerplant in an M-38. The engine was adapted to the T90, probably the way to go, nothing against a 151 engine as they are fine runners but parts are much more available for a Willys engine. Interesting setup non the less.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2016 at 7:08am
My buddies and I took a ride across town to pickup an axle for the Jeep. We unburied it from the earth. I'm talking mother nature was taking it down and we grasped it from her hands. Got to campus, drug the Jeep off the trailer, and noticed the wheels were trying to lurch forward. We thought that was odd since it was in neutral and decided to take off the rear driveshaft. She rolled like a dream!

With some more newfound excitement and time saved from an axle swap, we hopped back in the Wrangler and headed for wally world. Picked up 2 batteries for $140 without cores. I always read stories about "This thing sat for 20 years and started right up with a new battery." Of all the Jeeps I've fixed up, that statement couldn't ever be true. But I kid you not it happened. I was there Thumbs Up

By now we're so giddy we work until the wee hours of the morning clearing out a spot in this garage. No room no lights no power. Next we had to chop apart the Mona Lisa of tranny tunnels.

Water inevitably ran down the shifter. We manhandled the shifter to break it free and have it moving to 3rd, 4th, and reverse. If you ever watch Roadkill on YouTube that's about how it went down.

The oil was all drained. I looked under the Jeep and pulled off that goofy pipe from the front output shaft. Turns out it actually has splines.

Now the gears are turning in my head. If that pipe wasn't necessary, therefore that giant driveshaft wasn't for this application. What about the other one I grabbed? 

She fits! With a yoke on the tranny, this driveshaft is going to work great. We discussed how dramatic of an angle this would create, but it actually doesn't look bad. At all. 
On paper it sounds crazy but I'm tellin' ya this doesn't look any worse than a standard CJ2A.

This week we're going to order a yoke and see if we can't get Queen Mary parading around the neighborhood. Watch out Bam Bam Wink
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2016 at 1:06pm
Your Jeep will be a ------------"real Mutt at Heart". Wink Great story. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>